Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Pick posted:

More than anything, I think that Trolls really sold a unique visual style and its core theme is simple but told well, without any notable gaps in logic.

The scrapbook/felt look is incredibly appealing and fun, and there's no other film that looks like it. Moana has shots that look real, but I don't really care about CGI looking real any more.

Trolls doesn't try to convince you that "consumption" can't make you happy; it tells you that there are less destructive ways to be happy that are available to everyone. In my mind, this is a clear message and an empowering one. It could have had a it more nuance where the grumpy character was concerned, but his rationale was solid even if he did need to move on. There's very little "But wait, couldn't the eagles just drop the ring into the volcano?" kind of nitpicking to be done either, though I love nitpicking!

Why didn't the Trolls escape from the Bergen village before? The eating of the Trolls is presented as some sort of yearly tradition, meaning that it has been going on for quite a period of time. It doesn't look like the Troll tree is guarded in any meaningful way.

This comes up later too. A handful of Trolls are kept in a traditional wooden birdcage. Barring the fat Troll they could all slip through the cage because the spaces in between the bars are big enough. The twins would require some coordination with their hairdo, but yeah, only the fat Troll is screwed. He's voiced by James Corden so who gives a poo poo about him :v:

The only explanation is that they suffer from Stockholm Syndrome. "We need to stay here to make these Bergen happy once a year by letting our people be eaten. It would be cruel to leave!"

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

It's been ages since I've delved into manga, but Monster was my definite favorite series that I read. Beyond the story and the characters I really loved the pacing. Every chapter seemed to end on a high note or cliffhanger* without things being needlessly dragged out. Back then it soured me a little on every weekly series that didn't have an end even remotely in sight.

I never bothered with the anime because how was it ever going to be remotely close to that fantastic experience? I'm saddened to hear that they didn't release the entire series tho.

*not really cliffhangers when you can binge the whole thing, but you know what I mean

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Egbert Souse posted:

(Though, the 80s Boris and Natasha movie is pretty dire from what I remember)

Back in the days of VHS supremacy my mother bought a comedy boxset which had that movie. The cover mentioned that it featured John Travolta, it even featured a photo of him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nbq5lEbHZgo

They didn't lie, but... that's it.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Vegetable posted:

vin diesel is a furry

He is into anthromorphic sharks so wouldn't that make him a scaley or whatever?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

One Perfect Shot posted about this compilation which I've dubbed "Hey Disney, keep those wide shots coming".

https://vimeo.com/199552390

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Schwarzwald posted:

Any idea what the song is? I know Jóhann Jóhannsson is the composer.

"Flight From The City".

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

The True Colors cover in Trolls is great, but I gotta say I liked that sampling of "In the Hall of Mountain King" even more. The "put your hair in the air" stuff is dumb as heck, but man does "In the Hall of Mountain King" sound weirdly good as a dance remix.

It's just drat good melody.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bv9iuC4KJs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywXiFgi_NY8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD8EPdn5Ctg

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I liked how the animation on his face is very smooth and detailed compared to the stop-animation feel of everything else.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

edit: i done messed up

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I personally don't care about cow udders at all.

Cow tools on the other hand...

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

You're Welcome
Shiny
How Far I Will Go
We Know The Way

I listened to the soundtrack once and I have no trouble remembering those.
Edit: and it's either There You Are or Where You Are.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Space Jam is very fake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZhmj9pVFuA

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Das Boo posted:

Boss Baby hanging out at 27% on RT. :pusheen:

So in sync with the presidential baby's approval ratings?

j/k I know that number is a teensy bit higher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

And I'm sure there are people who think The Aristocrats was the best thing ever. And I know for a fact there are people who will go to bat for The Sword in the Stone, because I'm one of them. :v:

It was very blue, but I liked it :v: