Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Chicken Little understood that people liked Shrek but didn't understand why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

I don't know why, but for a split second there I was worried they were going to be trying to sneak the kid back to the world of the living (it's possible they still could, but it didn't look like it), and I do not want a million thinkpieces about Coco and the border wall.

...oh who am I kidding? They'll still write them regardless.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Hedrigall posted:

The animated short before Coco will be.......

Olaf's Frozen Adventure :geno:

Does this mean they don't have confidence in Coco? Or is it just a way of making dumb money off Coco? Only time will tell.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

starkebn posted:

I really like Bug's Life, I don't understand the apparent hate for it.

While I don't hate it, it's definitely one of my least favorite Pixar movies. I don't care that they reuse plots from classic movies, but the plot for this always felt sort of lazily assembled (to me at least). The writing and characters and animation (for the time) were fine and all, but even for the second movie in it feels a little uninspired. Doesn't make it bad, though.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

ExplodingSims posted:

So I guess this movie is gonna be like the next Zelda CDI or something:

I...uh...hmmm

Those really do look like they didn't have a model to go off.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
I bit the bullet and managed to find the Willy Wonka Tom & Jerry on YouTube in full. And for all the purists out there, do not worry, they kept in Slugworth's song and the flying Mexican Droopy. Also Slugworth is essentially straight up murdered twice, both before and after the reveal at the end. Who asked for this?

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

ExplodingSims posted:

So is it literally just the Wonka movie but with Tom and Jerry and Cuebert Farnsworth?

Yes. Apart from a few lines peppered throughout about Tom and Jerry belonging to Charlie it is the original movie (only worse and cut down), pausing every few minutes to cut to Tom and Jerry and another mouse that wants to be an Oompa Lompa. They tried to make Slugworth an actual physical antagonist for a few scenes but it comes across as very bizarre considering he isn't Slugworth (I'm not spoiler tagging Willy Wonka folks), and I can't stress this enough, Charlie straight up murders him.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Shadow Hog posted:

Slugworth had a song?

I expect :thejoke:, but I have to double-check...

They just gave him Veruca's song and changed a few lyrics...I think. I'm already blocking the memory of this poo poo from my mind. And no, not originally.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
So Woody's Round Up is a children's show old enough and obscure enough that both Andy and Woody are completely unaware of it (and since all toys are conscious that means Woody was aware of things pre-Andy and still had no knowledge of the show he was specifically made for), and yet it is popular enough that a Japanese museum is working on, at the very least, a display for the merchandise from the show? I get you need to get the plot going, but I don't know, there must have been some story that made Pixar decide to go with Japan to be interested in the very American cowboy show.

(Or the real answer, which is they needed Woody's trip to be transcontinental to give it more weight)

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Martytoof posted:

I'm the one guy on earth who actually likes Bug's Life most, out of Pixar's lineup.

There's no such thing as a wrong opinion. But in a world where Wall-E exists this walks the line.

(I was trying to think of the worst Pixar movie and settled on Cars 2, only to realize that I had forgotten Good Dinosaur existed. I swear that movie is like an object permanence experiment)

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Shadow Hog posted:

What's funny is that at least half of those movies are actually good, so I don't quite get why I mentally keep thinking Disney went straight from Frozen to Zootopia when they very obviously didn't. (I still haven't seen Meet the Robinsons or The Good Dinosaur to judge them, but my understanding is the former is good and the latter really isn't.)

Meet the Robinsons is an odd duck. It doesn't feel or look like a Disney movie at all, despite being very heavily based on Walt's philosophy towards the future. I hesitate to call it "good", more so "better than most people imagine".

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Shadow Hog posted:

Also of note:

Incredibles 2: June 15th, 2018.
Ralph Wrecks the Internet: November 21st, 2018.

I suspect these dates may have already been known, but if so, reposting 'em for posterity.

Also, that spoiler-tagged scene above may be the first time in an actual Disney film that we've seen princesses from the different franchises interact in any meaningful fashion. I mean, I guess they kinda-sorta had that happen in Kingdom Hearts, though their conversations with one another aren't related to the player in any capacity (just their dialog directly to Sora), but that's a video game, not a Walt Disney Animated Canon film.

I haven't seen much more than brief snippets of the show but Sophia the First supposedly interacts with a number of princesses, they might have had a few episodes with multiple ones interacting together though I can't attest to that being a thing that ever actually happened.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Bimmi posted:

June Foray died.

I knew this day would come eventually, but always secretly hoped it never would. Her last credit on IMDB was only three years ago too, so she never stopped working.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
They tried to explain Tangled's name as having to do with the fact that it was as much Flynn's story as it was Rapunzel's, but I don't buy it.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Maria Menounos talking to a completely empty theater after a commercial for a TNT show before someone comes in to switch off the bulb so The Nut Job 2 can run in datrkness is a fantastically lonely image.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Who does reads like Gaston?
Negs the leads like Gaston?
And then falls off the castle and bleeds like Gaston?

And the entirety of Vincent Price's delivery as Ratigan is perfection.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
I could never get into Death Note because although I love Rube Goldberg-esque murder mysteries and plots where it gets insanely convoluted, every time I watched anything from the series it seemed to devolve into:

"I thought you'd say that."
"Oh, well I knew you'd think I'd say that."
"I planned for you to know I'd think you'd say that."
*drat, he's good, I'll give him that*

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

This looks wonderful. The weird boring opening with the overpowered racquet breaking sound, the absurdly generic robot, the voice acting, implied old New York still existing under water including for some reason the World Trade Center, "you have to protect our family name" followed by the dude dunking his head underwater and "Starring Jaden Smith" appearing behind him, "Coco Chanel may her memory be blessed".

I kinda wanna check this out. It looks bad in the strangest ways.

I get the sinking suspicion Neo Yokio will only be interestingly strange when chopped into a trailer. Full episodes won't have enough bizarre content to fill the runtime and will likely just draaaaaag. Is this the first Netflix original trying to capitalize on "watching it because its memetic"?

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Sometimes I try to give the benefit of the doubt. Maybe they just cut the trailer to be "modern" to appeal to kids. But no. There was a shot of Peter Rabbit making it rain with lettuce leaves.

And not to sound like an edgy, grimdark loving idiot, but if they include an uncomfortable scene of the farmer catching and killing one of the other rabbits eating out of his garden I would actually be onboard. It'll be the Watership Down of this generation.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
It's hard to be bummed about a project being cancelled when we knew next to nothing about it to begin with.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Considering the huge story shift that happened in Zootopia and the fact that historically Disney is willing to scrap a ton of work and still go ahead on the project they feel confident with, I'm willing to bet they were just realizing everything they had to work with just wasn't coming together into something they could be happy with.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
I wonder if NBC is history's most despised film solely based off merchandising. I know everyone here has legitimate opinions, but there is a huge backlash against this movie because people are tired of seeing the constant Hot Topic t-shirts.

Reflecting on it, I think NBC is probably a good example of how to adapt children's books to film. The dialogue is very simplistic, the story is essentially basic enough and the visuals strong enough that you don't even need to know the language they're speaking to follow along, and rather than cram in "adult humor" to satisfy the parents it goes heavy on being stylistically interesting.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

K. Waste posted:

Watch The Play Doh Movie come out and Animation Thread be like, "Wow, that was better than it had any right to be!"

I would be 100% down for a full length claymation film in theaters. And that's Gumby claymation where the clay aspect is fully utilized.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
After Beauty and the Beast I was concerned The Lion King was going to suffer from the same problem of having nothing new to say with the story. The cast list basically confirms for me that while they’re trying to make it the best drat version they can, it’s still going to be a one-to-one translation of the original. I hope I’m proven wrong though.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
How the hell did they mess up the Broadway version of Aladdin that bad when the groundwork with the show at their Park was already so good? I know they would need to add more padding since the other stage show was just shy of an hour but come on.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Sinners Sandwich posted:

*kicks down door*

Gnomeo and Juliet 2: Sherlock Gnolmes trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BLtnXESorg

“I’m okay!” followed by multiple farts. People who cut trailers must be completely self-aware, or not paid nearly enough.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Finally saw The Boss Baby (not that I was clamoring for it or anything). It was pretty harmless, all things considered. Sort of a garbage script elevated by a team that was actually pretty good with visual storytelling. But good God does the thing drag. Like “Oh we’re at the climactic chase...oh no there’s an hour left, how is there an hour left?”

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Roth posted:

I watched Boss Baby a couple nights ago.

That movie sueprisingly had some very nice visuals.

My working theory is someone started to make a dialogue-free/lite short film based off the book, and then a studio note came in saying “Make it 2 hours and with Alec Baldwin”.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Robindaybird posted:

Well heard news the Lion King 'Active Action' is planning to cut Be Prepared, which makes absolutely no sense to me, I can understand wanting to change up the music, but what would they even replace Be Prepared with?

If any song should be cut it should be “Just Can’t Wait To Be King”. As catchy as it is I can’t imagine it working with the live-action aesthetic they’re going for.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

I don't know why I keep posting trailers for reboots (no pun intended), but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8B5dqjsZUs

They’re right, the original Reboot did have too much fun and too little high school drama. Glad they sorted out the balance for the new series.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Inescapable Duck posted:

IIRC, the Oscars infamously can rarely be arsed to even watch all of the nominees for the animated awards (a category they created after Beauty and the Beast got too much attention) and are likely to just give the award to whatever their kids liked. Student films without marketing budgets don't stand a chance.

Correct. Even going so far as to complain that obscure Chinese movies like Song of the Sea get nominated.

(Yes, I know. The voter’s words, not mine)

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
I checked before I posted because I was sure it was Princess Kaguya. It was actually both Kaguya and Song of the Sea that were referred to as “Chinese fuckin’ things”.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Macaluso posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=425M4M3Opkk

I hate this but at least they did one good thing and kept Jim Cummings as Pooh. Not something I would expect out of one of these live action ABOMINATIONS

I always pictured the live action Winnie the Pooh movie being about Christopher Robin’s father shutting down his child’s foolish nonsense, with the various stuffed animals being projections of Christopher Robin’s emotional state. And of course by the end the father learns to love his son’s child-like games...

...though that’s sort of just Mary Poppins, isn’t it?

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
I wonder if Disney did some hard lobbying with the Academy somehow to get the category created. Like they knew they could create masterpieces every year and still only maybe sometimes win an Oscar, or they could have a category with nearly guaranteed success at a consistent rate.

Also, question in a similar vein: Do you think the idea of animation being kids stuff is more the fault of Disney or Hanna-Barbera? Or some other force at work?

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
I know I’m late to the Coco party, but having just seen it I can confirm it is good Pixar, probably on par with Ratatoille in my eyes.

My one major gripe is the ending felt less like the intended ending and more like an ending that tested well. I don’t mind it being a happy ending and I wasn’t hoping for anything too bittersweet, but having Hector be recognized as the real famous musician, while cathartic, felt a bit too tidy. Like, having the family recognize and appreciate him, but the rest of the world still loves Ernesto, would have come across as better with the themes of family to me.. That being said, it was still a great film.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

SomeJazzyRat posted:

I think the De La Cruz thing was so tidy due to the fact that it's a movie meant for kids (Read: Grown up idiots who don't like to think about their movies), and didn't want to leave them with an (spoilered just in case) emotionally confusing and karmically unjustified note. Tidy endings make for happy audiences, and happy audiences make for great word of mouth.

I totally understand that and get why they did it. But it did feel like an unnecessary addition still. We got to see the final comeuppance in the land of the dead already, and by the time we’re at the end the focus is back on the family. It doesn’t ruin the movie by any stretch, but it’s like if in Wall-E there was a final shot of Auto being used as a toilet (crude example, I’m tired, be quiet). The focus was already pulled away, it should stay that way.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
If I remember correctly, they either wouldn’t distribute GotF or theaters wouldn’t show it without something less soul-crushing alongside it.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1001542476337958912

I mean....yeah, I'd watch Paul Rudd be friends with Sonic.

Credit where credit is due, of all the decisions that could have been made for this movie this is one of the very small handful that would raise my interest above zero.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Shadow Hog posted:

Jasmine and Pocahontas look really weird in Disney's current CG style, just throwin' that out there.

All the 2D ones look slightly off in a way that’s hard to pin down. I thinks it’s in the proportions of head to body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

ThermoPhysical posted:

So there's currently a debate among my friends about what makes someone a Disney princess.

Some think Mulan's in the line-up just because she's marketable to little girls. Some think because she's Asian and they have a quota to fill.

Some think the entire line has nothing to do with princesses and actually just female leads. Some are calming it's all about being marketable thus Anna and Elsa.

So is there an official reason or just because Disney feels like it?

Mulan and Pocahontas are both very fluid in terms of “Disney Princess”. They are definitely not in the main line-up when the shirts only fit 5 or 6 princesses, but are allowed in sometimes. It would have been a great* meta-joke to have the two of them inexplicably appearing and disappearing throughout the scene with no commentary or reaction, but there was never a chance that would have made it in.

*”Great” for me and a handful of other nerds who would even care or get it. I don’t pretend like it’d be all that clever or inspired.

Edit: Just rewatched the trailer. And even as a fan of this style of writing and comedy JESUS CHRIST DISNEY STOP LAMPSHADING! You can only lean on that so much.

dirksteadfast fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jun 4, 2018