Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Just watched Kubo. They should teach this in film school as a bad example of "show, not tell." All that fancy artwork ruined by truly garbage exposition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Also jfc, it bombed so hard

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Somebody asked about My Life as a Zucchini. It's really loving good. It's extremely charming. Though it's claymation like Shaun the Sheep, it's not just a feel-good film -- it goes to some pretty dark places (for a kid's film) in discussing broken families. All I could think about when watching it was how sincere, how authentic the whole project felt. It won't absolutely rock your world but it really is a real pleasure to watch.

Animation, to me, gets pretty samey these years. Don't get me wrong, I generally like the Disney and Pixar stuff (while resenting Illumination with a passion). But the same studios dominate the scene and there isn't no longer the Ghibli stuff to balance things out. If you wanna catch something different in animation, My Life as a Zucchini is one place to start.

Don't think it'll be out in the U.S. for another few weeks at least, though.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

vin diesel is a furry

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

lol at the idea that anybody would turn down voicing poop

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I've seen the French version. It's utterly charming and sweet.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

devilwu posted:

A simple and lovely story. Where did you see it? I had the chance to see it in Annecy film festival this summer (I had to fight to book the reservation).
Singapore Film Festival.

Definitely my favorite animation of 2016 too. A breath of fresh air from the American studio stuff.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Das Boo posted:

I am... sincerely super surprised Dory got cut. :stare:
Dory hasn't been in the awards circuit at all, for whatever reasons.

Would love to see My Life as a Zucchini or The Red Turtle win, but Zootopia is as sure a pick for your office's Oscar sweepstakes as any.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Unmature posted:

I don't know. The way Disney has been treating Zootopia has really surprised me going by how much it made. In Disney World I saw literally ONE reference to it, which was up in Rafiki's petting zoo place in Animal Kingdom. That requires a train ride to get there. I also saw a drawing at one of the caricature booths, but that's not official merch. I wouldn't be surprised if the Oscars passed it over. A lot of Oscar stuff is very populist, and to someone who doesn't pay attention it could seem like Zootopia isn't that popular. But hey, maybe they'll actually pick the best movie.
I was at Disneyland earlier this year (e: sorry I meant early 2016) and they had zero Frozen stuff. I think they just take a while to incorporate popular movies into their theme parks.

Thinking more about it, it's not impossible that Moana could pinch the award. Has the help of momentum -- Zootopia was so long ago.

Vegetable fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 25, 2017

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Spirited Away is really loving good, pal.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Also Ghibli's films are heavily influenced by the West, so they don't come across as alien as the other anime stuff

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Spirited Away is, like, C-tier Miyazaki. It's still a gorgeous work of animation but it's one third of a great movie with two thirds of "eh" tacked on.
I will fight you

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

There's ambivalence in that movie, for sure. It gives this impression that the people designing killing machines were just Regular Folks All About Their Art. It might be partly true, but it also feeds into the proclivity of Japanese nationalists who'd like to romanticize at least parts of the war.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

That's the business model of Illumination

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Dan Stevens is the beast. He can do no wrong so the film has to be at least half good.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Three animation nights in a row, take it easy pal

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Wonder how underpaid LEGO Batman’s animators were

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I love Wreck It Ralph so this is pretty much my poo poo, but their visualization of the internet manages to look so generic. It just reminds me of the brainscapes in Inside Out or the spaceship interior in Wall-E. These 3d animation all look the same.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

I feel like Loving Vincent will get it because of the sheer amount of hard work involved.
i can’t believe how many people they tricked into watching that movie

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

In recent years animation films haven't been Best Film nomination-quality anyway. Maybe one of the Ghibli films. Don't think any of the Pixar or Disney ones cut it.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

How’s the dude a bisexual icon, I’m not opposed to the tumblr kids but this seems like a stretch even for them

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

On first glance I was genuinely concerned that they were making an annoying orange movie

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The Incredibles 2 was really boring for me. The screenplay so clunky and expositional, the twists so telegraphed, and the characters so one-dimensional.

Also the film says superheroes ate good, but it really shows that the opposite argument is correct. They’re walking weapons of mass destruction. Some may be well-meaning, but if even a normal person can find a way to control and manipulate them, how can it be reasonable to let them just wander around?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Pixar films with shorts superior to movies:

The Incredibles 2
Finding Dory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Is The Good Dinosaur at least mildly charming? It's the only recent Pixar film I haven't seen. As long as it's not actively evil or terrible I think I could stomach it. I sat through Cars, I can sit through another mediocre Pixar flick.