Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'll join! I've never seen the Iron Giant. haha

The Iron Giant is goddamn incredible and everyone should watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Shadow Hog posted:

Still a pretty good track record; hopefully this rubs off on Ralph Breaks the Internet and Frozen 2 (and any potential Zootopia follow-up). Just don't pull another Cars 2; it would somewhat annoy me if Frozen 2 was a Rambo-esque film featuring Olaf. (Though now that I've typed this out, the concept sounds hilarious, and now I actually kind of want to see it.)

Elsa: It's over, Olaf. It's over!

Olaf: Nothing is over! Nothing!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
I decided to see Your Name based on the recommendation of a friend, and I have to say it definitely lived up to the hype. Granted, the first 1/3 or so was a bit too... anime? for my tastes, but once that plot dropped literally :v: the movie got great and didn't let up right up through the end.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
I still stand by my initial Your Name review on Facebook:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
The setting of the previous film is revealed to be a highly-complex computer simulation, created for the entertainment of children in a highly advanced, utterly alien society

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

wdarkk posted:

This is actually a really interesting idea. Elsa wants to marry the prince of not-Ethiopia and various assholes plot to undermine her. The post credits scene reveals her kid has ice-powers too.

Actually make it explicitly Ethiopia, and at the end of the movie they die fighting the Italians.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Though she governs as a reformer, Elsa is assassinated at the beginning by opportunistic anarchists. This sets off an immediate succession crisis, which slowly ramps up into an increasingly violent and desperate war as the delicate system of alliances that had kept the region at peace for so many years breaks down and fall apart. Anna and Olaf desperately try and stop the crisis, only to discover that mere individuals can do nothing to halt the tide of industrial war. The film ends with Olaf slowly melting amidst a field of poppies, the thunder of artillery echoing through the air.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Waffleman_ posted:

The InCelArts style is killing American animation.

from this post

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Hedrigall posted:

Bears are ok. 6/10

Going by the draft last night, the Bears are actually loving terrible

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Hedrigall posted:

Hey let's not accuse people of being nazis

There literally used to be a poster called Literal Nazi Furry, fyi

Wonder whatever happened to that guy.

Edit: Holy poo poo he's still around in GBS :psyduck:

What a world.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 30, 2017

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
I remember watching the scene in Jurassic Park when Dennis Nedry gets eaten by a Dilophosaurus at a Christmas party when I was 4. I thought it was awesome :v:

My sister unfortunately still hates dinosaurs.

Edit:

Hedrigall posted:

Fam, what's your favourite audio commentary on an animated film?

The one that comes to mine is The Iron Giant, since they talked a lot about how they tried to evoke the feeling of the period throughout the work. As a history guy, it was really fascinating stuff to listen to, especially since so many of the technical details are spot-on.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 4, 2017

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
One of the earliest and most vivid nightmares I can remember is one where Godzilla was attacking the city, and my house was a helicopter (Literally my house just with a rotor on the roof and landing skids), and it was my job to fix it because he was supposed to be my friend. I instead decided to hide under the living room table with the dog.

welp that's my story

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Unmature posted:

Little Mermaid's commentary is great. It has Ron and Jon and Alan Menken. It helps alleviate my somewhat unfounded conception of Menken as a glory hog because he plays clips from Howard Ashman interviews to get him in on it too.

Also Iron Giant's on the blu ray from last year.

Man I need to get the Iron Giant Blu Ray.

First I need a Blu Ray player, though

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Waffleman_ posted:

I like the commentary for The LEGO Movie. At one point, they actually get Elizabeth Banks on the phone to pipe in.

Aw poo poo I'd forgotten about that, that whole sequence was hilarious.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Over the Garden Wall is a fantastic series and I definitely recommend it. It feels like watching an animated version of a Grimm fairy tale in tone, while retaining a distinctly turn-of-the-century American flavor to it all (Especially in the wonderful music). It's one of those shows that I started watching intending to only sit through the first few episodes, and then stayed up until 3 in the morning to finish it, it's that good.

Interestingly enough, there's actually an art book coming out later this year that's currently available for pre-order if any of you guys are interested.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
To be somewhat fair to the Dark and GrittyTM dystopia comic, it comes from less of a place of "Let's take this kid's movie and make it dark and gritty," and more "What kind of story could you actually make around the original shock collar concept," which itself was incredibly dark (Which is why they ended up going with something else :v: ).

(I will say that I read it since I had some time to kill, and by my low webcomic standards, it was alright. Not great, certainly cringey in places, but it could have certainly been worse.)

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Avatar was okay, but once you get over the visual spectacle there's really not much, if anything, of substance to the movie.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Fangz posted:

I like the neat little helicopter things in Avatar.

All the human equipment in Avatar was incredibly rad, I'll certainly give it that.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, and from what I've seen, it looks like the movie is going to be an amalgam of the first four books in the series, which yeah. Those books are short.

Not so much short (Though they are) but they're filled with comics and illustrations, which obviously take up less screentime than the equivalent amount of text.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Who do I have to kill to prevent the space jam sequel

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
I think more than anything else, the Futurama revival was just uneven. You got some episodes like Murder on the Planet Express, which in my opinion stands up with the very best of the show's original run, and a whole bunch of episodes which... do not.

Really though, the natural state of things is that even if you do wrangle up a bunch of the original talent that made a show good, you're never going to get every piece that made the show what it originally was. There's just always going to be key talent that moves on to bigger and better things that you can't get back-a good example being The Simpsons, which featured the work of incredibly talented guys like Sam Simon, David X. Cohen, Conan O'Brien, Brad Bird, Phil Hartman, John Swartzwelder, and so many others. Once those guys move on to create their own things, there's no bringing them back-and in a way, you have to accept it's best that they moved on, since if you don't then you don't have David Cohen co-creating Futurama, or Brad Bird directing for Pixar. There's also the fact that editorial practices change, budgets shift, production methods change, and not always for the better. Back in the old days, the Simpsons used to have a writers retreat where each writer would pitch an episode, and it was at one of these that Conan O'Brien famously pitched three episodes, including candidate for series greatest Marge vs. the Monorail. But, in the twenty years since, the story retreats ceased-and it's hard to say that the modern show's quality would measurably benefit even if they did bring them back, since it's just not a part of the modern culture of the production staff.

tl;dr change is inevitable, death is certain

Edit: Oh yeah the Prisoner of Benda is utterly fantastic and had me in loving stitches.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 02:25 on May 31, 2017

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
When you're talking the greatest quality for the longest time, I think you still can't beat the Simpsons. From 1989 to 1998, over the course of over 200 episodes, you had a show that was outrageously funny, genuinely emotionally affecting, and was a cultural icon the likes of which will we'll probably never see again. Obviously the show declined into a shadow of its former self pretty quickly after/around the 9th season, and thus can hardly be called great throughout its entire run, but for what it was, as long as it was, it can't be equaled.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Robindaybird posted:

EDIT: and I stumbled on a review with the critic being shocked at Captain Underpants having potty humor.

:psyduck:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm in the theater waiting for Captain Underpants and there's a row reserved for a birthday party and God help me.

:rip:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Unmature posted:

Jesus Christ, I'll stop giving them my clicks.

And that Clarence thing still bothers me. How is that guy still allowed to make cartoons for children? He should go live in the same hole John K is in and maybe they'll molest each other to death.

:stare: Uh... should I ask what the hell happened, or am I better off not knowing?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Waffleman_ posted:

The antagonist of Cars 3 is also an entitled millennial, so I think Pixar's just fuckin' old.

Their last film was literally "THESE MOODY TEENAGERS AM I RIGHT" so this checks out

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Shadow Hog posted:

I thought their last film was "Look at these gorgeous backgrounds! Also cartoon dinosaurs."?

I had completely forgotten about that one sooooo

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Yeah, for the past year or so Microsoft has basically given up on segregating PC and Xbox titles and has settled for "If it comes out on a platform we sell (i.e. Windows or Xbox) it's an exclusive."

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Unmature posted:

Has anyone ITT ever successfully (or unsuccessfully, I guess) pitched an animated series to a network? I'm working on a pitch right now and would love any stories or advice.

If nobody here has personal experience (Which I don't recall anybody having, but I could be wrong), you could always look up show creators and staff on Tumblr and Twitter, Owen Dennis (Infinity Train) for example is decently active on Tumblr and will occasionally answer questions.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Unmature posted:

I've been reading a ton online, but hasn't seen Owen's stuff. I'll check it out, thanks.

No problem, I wish you luck!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Hedrigall posted:

"The Emoji Movie is almost as bad and brutally depressing as everything else in 2017."

"Lacks humor, wit, ideas, visual style, compelling performances, a point of view or any other distinguishing characteristic that would make it anything but a complete waste of your time."

"Sony Pictures Animation’s big new blockbuster has represented something very positive since the start of this summer movie season: hope. Specifically, the hope that — for 90 beautiful minutes — Hollywood would spirit us away to a cinematic world that was somehow actually worse than real life. What a gift it would be in July 2017 to leave the multiplex and actually come up on our way back to reality, to feel the faint nausea of ascension for the first time all year and be reminded that it’s still possible for things to get better."

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Martytoof posted:

Trying to think of other good animated music videos which aren't Gorillaz.

Only one that comes to mind is Do the Evolution

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDaOgu2CQtI

.. but I'm sure I'm missing like a hundred other good ones.

Uh pardon me, how could you forget this classic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djV11Xbc914

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Puppets count as animation, right? :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHmH1xQ2Pf4

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Can't believe I almost forgot to post this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wga5A6R9BJg

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Hedrigall posted:

I keep hearing about this, how it has X-Files-level depth of in-show mythology. If so that would be right up my alley! The art style annoys me though.

Also was the Ducktales premiere any good? :3:

If you're interested in checking out Gravity Falls (Which I highly recommend, it's a fantastic series), then I'd also look at Star vs the Forces of Evil. It's a slower burn than Gravity Falls and takes until the second season to really get consistently good (Though there's certainly plenty of good episodes in the first season), but it's a great series and the recent third season premiere in particular was incredible.

With regard to DuckTales, I'm about halfway through the premiere and I'm definitely enjoying it so far. I actually really like the art style they went with-it gives the feeling of the show being ripped right out of the comic pages

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Samuel Clemens posted:

Chicken Run is soooooo good.

Man I haven't seen that movie since I was a kid, I really need to rewatch it again.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Flaccid Trip posted:

I'm looking for some movie reccomendations for my boyfriend. I've recommended and he's enjoyed:

Despicable Me 1 + 2
Wreck-It Ralph
The Lego Movie
The Lego Batman Movie
Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs
Zootopia
Moana

Ones I plan on reccomending are:
Paranorman
Rango
Fantastic Mr. Fox
The Emperor's New Groove
The Road to El Dorado

Anything else along those lines would be good.

As mentioned above, The Iron Giant is a tremendous film and personally it's one of my all-time favorites. I'd definitely put that on the list.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Robindaybird posted:

It's part of why the bad guys in Crystal Skull are commies, he went the route of not doing comedy/light-hearted adventure stuff with Nazis to not downplay how horrific they were.

and you got on the other spectrum Mel Brooks making them as ridiculous as possible to make sure no one goes 'hey, they're kinda cool', neither take is wrong.

Still probably one of Brooks' greatest works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zpYQJkBQp0

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
I wouldn't say it's mean-spirited exactly, but I seriously doubt that the makers of Airplane! had any particular love for disaster movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Das Boo posted:

No argument. I'd just hazard a guess there was a degree of study that went into Zero Hour! that was missing from... everything else.

The Naked Gun was a classic. :colbert: Hot Shots! less so, but I've still got a soft spot for it.