Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Man I've said it before but Into the Spider-Verse just looks so fuckin' good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

The MSJ posted:

Wash it away from your minds with this new Into The Spider-Verse trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg52up16eq0

Man this movie looks so loving good and I can't wait to see it.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

ThermoPhysical posted:

Would love to know more about this? I haven't kept up with them.

I don't think there's really much more to know, she got big enough that she could go off and do her own thing. Pretty sure there wasn't any animosity, though I could be wrong.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

YOU WOULD NOT LOVE TO KNOW MORE. STAY FAR AWAY.

The gist, if you absolutely need to know, is that NC and his brother are either insanely awful or completely spineless, and they knowingly continue associating with a sex pest who shelters pedophiles.

:stare: I did not know that.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

I'm not going to lie, for some reason I thought that movie had come out already.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Schwarzwald posted:

Well, exactly. It's somewhat of a let down.

Yeah, that's the problem with photorealism as an end goal. Film as a whole is all about manipulating reality to achieve a desired aesthetic effect in support of a story—and as a result, making things look more real doesn't necessarily make it look better.

Like, look at the comparison. There's nothing wrong with the rock—it's a nice rock! It's very detailed, there's some nice lighting effects, it's clear the artists put a ton of time into it. But is it better than the original? Do the more realistic effects actually add anything to the scene? Is it artistically different in a meaningful way?

And if it isn't... what's the point?

Das Boo posted:

I've seen some wild rocks. Makoshika, Black Hills, Kathmandu, Phuket... Lotta good rocks.

Ain't nothing in the play book say a rock can't be sheer and jagged. Or that morning clouds can't be amazing.

I guess

technically evening clouds but you get the point

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/LightsCameraPod/status/1065747231607795712

It's not entirely fair to compare a trailer for an unfinished movie to a complete one, but it's striking how the CGI version loses so many of the artistic flourishes of the original.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Pick posted:

9/11 destroyed western art

Mad Max: Fury Road was a masterpiece. :colbert:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Pick posted:

australia is south

:hmmyes: Fair.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I'm extremely mad this movie doesn't come out for two more weeks, I've been hyped as hell for it since the first trailer came out.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Wheat Loaf posted:

Let me see, the last time Disney or Pixar didn't win would have been... I'm going to say Rango? I'm pretty sure it won. Don't know how long ago that was, though. Ten years?

2011 apparently, and the last time before that was Happy Feet in 2006.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/_AlexHirsch/status/1069097847029547009?s=19

goddammit why can't this movie be out now

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

nerdman42 posted:

I feel like people would get pretty tired of seeing that movie by now.

No one who saw the movie would say that!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

The MSJ posted:

Imagine if Disney's CG animation division goes the way of their traditional animation because Disney just make everything live action.

Keep in mind that their 'live action' remakes are still almost entirely (Or in the case of the Lion King, entirely) CGI animated, it's just done in a hyper-realistic style.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Saw Into the Spider-Verse today.

Spoilers: It's really loving good!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Double posting because man I need to talk about this movie.

I've been dying to see this movie since I saw the teaser trailer last year, and I have to say: Not only did it meet my sky-high expectations, it exceeded them. And man, where do I even start?

Right off the bat, the animation was utterly incredible. You can see it in the trailers, but there was a real effort on making the movie look like a comic, but even more than that the animators went all-out in adding effects you'd find on a comic panel (Impact lines, written sound effects, etc.) to the screen. And this wasn't a gimmick—the comic effects were integrated constantly and flawlessly, and created an additional level of visual impact to many scenes throughout the movie. There was also incredible use of color, and lighting, and all told it's a gorgeous movie to look at. The ending battle especially is an utterly inspired visual spectacle that makes the best possible use of animation as a medium.

And as good as the animation was, the writing was able to keep up. There were some legitimately great jokes throughout the movie, as well moments as real emotion. The script really isn't as original as the animation, unfortunately, but it's executed extremely well.

The music is also great and I'm definitely buying the soundtrack as soon as it's available.

In short, 12/10 gonna see it again as soon as I'm physically able to.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I've seen that sonic before, in my darkest nightmares

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
The nu-Sonic design is amazing because it's as if a group of professional artists and animators completely forgot everything about the design principles that make Sonic good. Sonic is a simple character with cartoonishly exaggerated proportions that serve to emphasize the only two facts you need to know about him, that A) he is fast and B) he is a hedgehog. Streamlined spiky head, big shoes (big and red to contrast against the body), noodle limbs. That's all there is, and that's all Sonic needs. But in choosing to adapt Sonic, they've somehow stripped out the cartoonish proportions that made him iconic, and instead have gone for more realistic proportions everywhere but his head that ultimately both deemphasize his speed and hedgehog-ness (again, the only two important details about the character) and render him as a horrifying monstrosity suffering from some mutant strain of gigantism that should not be allowed to live.

And we haven't even seen his face.

This is an utterly glorious trainwreck and I'm excited to see where it leads.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

ThermoPhysical posted:

This has been floating around my Twitter lately.

Not sure if it's real, but supposedly, this is before they changed the cast last year.

I could see it as being an early mock-up as a proof of concept early in production, especially since Sonic appears to have three legs in that poster. I wouldn't hold out hopes for it though, since the proportions seem significantly different from the other posters.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

hiddenriverninja posted:

As a younger brother who perpetually had to use the second controller, Tails better be in this movie and be functionally immortal

I've got some bad news

https://twitter.com/zazobusha/status/1073067838804496384

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Nitrousoxide posted:

Also I'm pretty sure that (Spiderman spoilers) Tobey Maguire Spiderman is now canonically dead.

Nah, I'm pretty sure that Peter B. Parker is supposed to the the Tobey Maguire Spider-Man, or at least representative of him. Miles' universe's Spider-Man is a lot more put together than the TM Spider-Man, after all, with a secret base and a dune buggy. Not to mention that we've seen Doc Ock and Green Goblin in the TM universe, and they're not a woman or giant monster, respectively. There's definitely elements of and references to Maguire's Spider-Man, but I think that's because Miles' Spider-Man is supposed to be the ur-archetype and most competent version of the hero at his peak, to help deepen the impact when he's killed.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 15, 2018

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Decided to make a Spider-Verse thread.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Das Boo posted:

I haven't wanted to make a new thread for two years, somebody else do it!

Give me a thread title and I'll do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
New thread