Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
I just watched the Grinch. The Grinch while not as good as the original did feature a lot of good in it. The pathos given to the grinch explains his action but at the same time it kind of vilifies the whos, but the Grinch's desire to take down Christmas this year was his own choice, not really thrust upon him by the villified whos. The Whos shown were generally friendly though a roving mob of christian Whos seem to want to hunt down the Grinch and sing God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen to him. He also is generally shown to have a compassionate side, especially towards Max and most other animals, making him a bit more complex. Benedict Cumberbatch's voice acting while a bit off putting, does give the character more personality, compared to Boris Karloff's original who was just a straight curmudgeon.

However the movie has a lot of faults. The Grinch is not really curmudgeony enough to really be called a Grinch. I am not really a fan of Grinch being a mad scientist like both movies make him out to be. The use of modern music (Like Run DMC) is off putting. Loose ends are not fixed. Even after the side story conclusion things are left at the status quo for the mother.

All in all its not a bad film. It's certainly more heart felt than the Jim Carrey movie and less overacted. I would definitely put this in a Christmas movie rotation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Sir Lemming posted:

I get your meaning, but I just wanted to point out how hella white this sounds

I know. When writing I couldn't think of any other way to phrase it and I sat on that line for a good 15 minutes. Cause I didn't just mean rap but really any of the genres from the past 30 years that were popular that they used. It is just I know Run DMC's Christmas in Hollies from the first few beats.

Senior Scarybagels fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Nov 14, 2018

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

paradoxGentleman posted:

My sister thinks this looks beautiful and can't wait to watch something from Tim Burton, who is so creative.

Personally, I think it looks silly.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
Ryan Reynolds as the green lantern being worn by deadpool from origins wolverine

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

Sita Sings the Blues?

God that opening sequence to Sita Sings the Blues was beautiful

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Man why do creators have ruin stuff that I enjoy of theirs.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
I just want to how what TImone and Pumba are like. I really didn't like them in the original.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

asecondduck posted:

What didn't you like about them?

I dunno, their sequence felt out of place with the rest of the film.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Moon Atari posted:

Well, The Lion King is kind of based on Hamlet. They are very much Shakespearean comic relief characters, but actually with a little more integration into the plot than just being like a random watchman or guard or something.

I mean I get that, but I dunno, like I said, I never really liked them. Maybe it was the over saturation, maybe it was the sequels that did it, but I feel like I never really liked those characters.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Pigbuster posted:

What really gets me are the people responding to this with "it's just a rock dude". Like, the original was just a rock too, but it was a good-looking rock.
Pride Rock looks great, it looks like a real stone structure.

Pigbuster posted:

The biggest issue for me isn't even the rock. Look at the clouds, in the original they're a gorgeous peach. In the remake they're loving grey.

I mean the clouds look how clouds do sometimes look with the sun shining behind them during the morning. Nimbus clouds can look grey even though the sky is yellowish/peach/etc.

Look at the outline of the clouds. The clouds are probably thick with rain.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Soup du Jour posted:

what Kurosawa film will Bugs Life 2 lift from?

It'll be Yojimbo. Flick will have the ants fight against the termites and watch ontop of leaf as they all fall.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

dirksteadfast posted:

WIR raises so many questions. The Ralph in the franchise is from a single arcade machine. But that machine was mass-produced. Do all Ralphs from all arcades go through the same emotional turmoil? That calls into question pre-destination. Or maybe all Ralphs behave completely different, but that seems strange because they’re all essentially identical characters raised in identical situations.

What about the characters that Ralph meets up with? Did Dr Robotnick show up in an arcade game?

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

dirksteadfast posted:

Is this referencing Phantom Tollbooth? I remember it being as overtly “I’m clever” as the source material, but I don’t remember it being especially bad.

It is Phantom Tollbooth. That's the only movie of his I can think of that did it. I feel though that the source book is almost as bad.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

FunkyAl posted:

The grinch was weak, powerful weak. He was about one second away from crying and cancelling his attempt to steal christmas. He in my opinion should have been one of santas slaves and crawled thru the core of the earth in order to escape, emerging on the other side with a hatred for the bugs who liked christmas. Whos look like fuckin bugs and this almost never gets translated. Cindy lou who is a bug with a squigle

E: specifically also tho id hate that guy for cutting doen the 300 foot tree also, and the film did not need seven plots and three scenes of the grinch drinking coffee or eating waffles

I really liked the new movie.
It wasn't as good as the Boris Karloff movie, but it was inoffensive to the palette and wasn't ugly. It gave him some legit pathos that didn't really make him or the who as the bad guys. In a way I think they pull the redemption bit a little too fast and hard. The ending though hits the theme of why he hated christmas. Since he was forced to spend it alone as an unloved orphan it really shaded his views towards it, but with the family taking him in, showing him caring, I think that does more as a redemption ending that the whole "But the who's found they didn't need christmas trinkets, and just started singing". Its less ugly than the Live Action film, where there were almost no likable characters in the film

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
It didn't really need it though, as it was a short book, it didn't go into the background of the character, thus it left the Whos pretty innocent as characters. "Oh well we don't have toys and crap? Well let's go out and have some merriment anyways!"

The Grinch didn't need a movie, but adding the background to the Grinch gave him a bit more character, while it didn't really make the Whos out to be bad characters needing to learn a lesson, still this movie was entirely unnecessary, but out of the Dr. Seuss movies made so far, this is probably the best one made.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

FunkyAl posted:

these all make it more palatable (blander) but really the more you bloat on the less effectual the storys symbolism is. the grinch does not need to be "known" as a person because hes an archetype in a fairy tale.

I agree with you there, it doesn't need to have all the extra bloat, but Hollywood likes adding the pathos to characters that doesn't need it, so the extra stuff in this film, while fluff and not needed, is inoffensive to the senses unlike Jim Carrey's movie, and generally it makes for a good Christmas movie to watch around that time. It's just...not a movie I would specifically be watching out for.

Sir Lemming posted:

He was basically a simplified version of Scrooge. If they keep adding backstory to him, eventually they'll remake A Christmas Carol again by accident.

You know speaking of Scrooge, I remember reading about how Charles Dickens based the book on an old grave marker that was in horrible keep for someone named scrooge.

Senior Scarybagels fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 6, 2018

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Barudak posted:

I can see an arguement for it, but the film is incredibly loving dumb about the Grinch and his motivation that he comes across as a muddled mess and the film desparately hopes you dont think through what caused his unhappiness
I mean it was pretty explicit - he was an orphan and during the Christmas season he was left completely alone by his caretakers and leaving the confines of the orphanage he finds himself completely isolated, which could lead to his bitterness about the holiday. Not to mention that the first scene is about how he intentionally isolates himself from society during this time.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Barudak posted:

Yes but the film refuses to address exactly why be was an orphan or why in whoville orphans get nothing. The film wants the whos to be righteous but their sin is a collective failing of the Grinch so the film never, ever address that letting it just dangle

I guess but it's still better than Jim Carrey version's hand waving of how he was what he was. Honestly I did not think it was all that bad. It's an adequate Christmas movie.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Das Boo posted:

I may not know art, but I know what's an abomination.

Mmm yes, this sonic the hedgehog movie truly shows us the horror of mankind, the horrors and abominations that exist within our selves. Truly it belongs along side Francisco Goya's "Saturn Devouring His Son"

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Pigbuster posted:

:psyduck:

I am so drat confused. This is the only place on the entire internet I've seen anyone go to bat for this movie, except I don't even know if you're actually going to bat for it or if you're just tut tutting people for putting in the disturbing, herculean effort of typing "lol".

Neither? I was making an elongated joke using das boos post saying it was an abomination and that they do not know art.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

ALFbrot posted:

It didn't work

Apparently. Oh well. You win some and lose some.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's SA, CD in particular, no one's going to think someone's kidding for defending something everyone is roundly mocking for the sake of contrariness.

I wasn't even defending it, I called it an abomination in the text, but I guess I wrote it a bit more verbosely, I was trying to mimick a snobbish art critic, but like I said, not a big deal, the joke didn't catch so I moved on.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Man I love Saturn Devouring His Son edits.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

Which is very disappointing. He'll just be angry Grinch or basically the Riddler all over again.

What if he goes Eternal Sunshine robotnik

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Looper posted:

my money's on eggman having a sympathetic backstory

My bet is on Archie comics backstory with Kintobor having an accident that caused him to go insane.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

What are you talking about? Eggman is already sympathetic: he really wants to build theme parks and blowup up a smartass hedgehog, how is that not relatable?

He is also a feminist, he should be the protagonist.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Shaocaholica posted:

People think Toothless is cute but really he’s a killer.

Lions and cheetahs are killers too but seeing them get affectionate with a human trainer is still cute.

Edit: And Dolphins, but dolphins are even more horrible than just killers, and people still find them cute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

CeallaSo posted:

Animation Thread 2019: "We're the Live Action Disney Thread Now"

Animation Thread 2019 "Suck it Chuck Jones - Love, Illumination"