Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

ImpAtom posted:

Haven't there been like 2-3 MLP movies already? I don't know much I just remember seeing ads for one where they are all bizarrely colored Doug humans.

Yeah, but those were direct to TV/video, not theatrical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

got any sevens posted:

Isnt the mlp reboot like a decade old now? The girls who grew up with it are on facebook now

It's 6 years old.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Bob Hoskins was the best part of Super Mario Bros because he was like the only one trying, despite being shitfaced drunk almost the entire time.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

And he was going sober at the time, so you gotta feel for him.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

plainswalker75 posted:

So, Gran Torino?

Edit: Actually, I would totally watch that.

Gran Torino 2: Gran Turismo

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Mob Psycho 100 finished last year, and it's a really good showcase of some creative animation.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Monster is so good, but Viz has given up on it in the west, so it's not legally available anywhere. Gotta go that deep web that daaaark web.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Das Boo posted:

A part of me hopped at one time this was because of licensing issues with Del Toro developing it as an HBO series. Which wow, I thought that might actually happen at some point. I managed to catch its one run on Sci-Fi which was nice, because it was extremely my mom's poo poo and she has trouble with the right-to-left manga format.

Nah, this was years before the HBO series was a thing. They released the first DVD set and it sold like garbage, so they didn't release the rest of the series. It used to be on iTunes, but not anymore.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Oh nooooo, the local drafthouse is showing Kaguya in February, but it's on a Wednesday and Thursday at 2, so I'd be at wooooooork.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'll have had my new job for less than two weeks at that point, I don't wanna take a day off right off the bat, especially since I don't have paid sick or vacation.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Samuel Clemens posted:

I can't believe it's legal for a company to flat-out not offer any paid sick leave.

Yeah, it's weird, but what can ya do. v:v:v Good news is, I never really get sick anyway.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The important thing is that I have what can be called a living wage, as well as insurance. I'm not complaining.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I knew this movie was happening, but it being a Miles story is a nice rumor to get confirmed.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

gently caress yeah! gently caress yeah! Yuasa is good!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

Sony has a good track record for the actual animation. The plots? A bit more shaky.

Yeah, but this is Lord and Miller. They were the guys who did Cloudy 1 and LEGO Movie, I trust them.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Starring Griffin McElroy as Dirk the Daring.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I feel like it's been so long since I've seen it that if I did, it'd be like watching it for the first time again.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Beachcomber posted:

Does anyone know of somewhere to read any kind analysis of Disney's recent merchandizing decisions?

In addition to Zootopia, there was the incredible lack of Rey merchandise. A character who is basically Luke and Han put together, plus being a good role model for girls. I just wonder if it's like one guy dropping the ball or if they've got some kind of metrics telling them this stuff. It's probably all unknowable for outsiders.

From what I heard, Disney marketing legitimately thought that Kylo Ren would be the breakout character like Vader before him.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yes, I'm very sure that Hayao Miyazaki of all people made a movie about how War Is Alright, Actually.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

So I saw Secret Life of Pets. It was...okay. It felt like it had a lot of ideas that it pulled off at the bare minimum of competency. Like, it was just happy to check off the to-do list of being an animated movie.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also gently caress off Illumination for that Illumination poo poo you pulled in the studio card.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Nerds don't care about the Ocean's series, it's fine.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Looks like they're having distributor issues

I tend not to trust anyone who refers to their business partners as "mean" in the same tone as a literal 5 year old.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

ThermoPhysical posted:

Marvel got their gaming rights back, which they gave to Sony and Insomniac for Spider-Man and the rest are just kind of everywhere else.

They also just announced a 4-game deal with Square Enix, beginning with Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy, as well as the upcoming GotG Telltale series.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Remember that some people back in the day got really mad at Walt for attempting to release a full-length animated movie. "How dare this purveyor of one-reel novelties fancy himself a real filmmaker?!" Disney's empire was basically founded on one of the biggest risks in cinema history.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Drifter posted:

"Most Disney princesses wear a ring. This Princess dominates one."

- Punched -
coming 2019

Just a slight edit.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The new Lion King movie is just a remake, movie sites!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Hedrigall posted:

Think of what you could do with ten limbs :heysexy:

Nine Vagánias.

Imagine.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'm planning to go to the movies on Saturday and I can see either Lego Batman or The Red Turtle and aaaaah what a choice!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I guess Batman will be in theaters for a while, but I can't say as much for Red Turtle.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I might get drawn and quartered for saying this, but I'm not really the biggest fan of Don Bluth's stuff. Most of his stuff is.....the best way I can put it is visually off-putting. I can't really articulate why, I just don't like it.

Also he has a bad habit of drawing small girls with bedroom eyes and THAT'S WEIRD.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Just got out of Red Turtle. Holy crap, what a visually impressive movie.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Spatula City posted:

what's hilarious about Anastasia is that everyone I've ever had a conversation about it with initially thinks it was a Disney movie, and is SHOCKED when I tell them it wasn't.

It's not surprising because almost all the marketing for the movie, even to the recent Blu-Ray, is trying to fool you into thinking it's a Disney Princess movie.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Was Red Turtle a mix of traditional and CG animation? Becuase there were parts I swore were CG that they managed to make look 2D really fuckin' well.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Then what does it say that I watched a movie where a man fucks a turtle?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I liked Big Hero 6 a lot and am super looking forward to the Disney XD series, but no way in hell did it deserve to win over Kaguya.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'm the Boss Baby, gotta love me!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Nausicaa, yeah. The similarities are only skin-deep, though. The plots are quite different.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Not Nausicaa, it was Nadia: Secret of Blue Water, one of Gainax's earlier works.

I got the wrong N to A anime, shucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Boss Baby seems like it's a decent concept for a silly short film or TV series, but they had to make a movie about it so they tacked on the whole puppy plot to make it 2 hours.