Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
Here's to a new thread :toot:

I'm cautiously optimistic about the Smurfs movie. The characters have a lot of energy and fluidity to their movements. Trailer seems like it gives away all the major plot beats, though.

Not sure how I feel about DM3 yet. Villain seems fun, but christ am I tired of all the 80s fellating that's been happening this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Mercury Hat posted:

I saw it because my mom wanted to and it wasn't a bad way to spend 2 hours. The only real negative part, to me, was the main koala character was such a dud. It's almost like he started off as an actual conman like the lead in The Music Man but got softened in rewrites so he's just sort of incompetent? Pretty much everything good he gets in the movie comes from other characters giving it to him, versus most of the other characters that sacrifice something or at least confront an issue to succeed.

Are we spoilering plot ponts? Dead dad buys him a theater that he runs into the ground, barely managing to stay afloat thanks to money given to him by his boyfriend's rich parents, completely wrecks the theater, other characters save his rear end with a free concert that's freely televised, then an even richer parent buys the theater back for him.

I'm glad I wasn't supposed to like Seth Macfarlane's character, though, I was worried when I heard he was in it. His crooner shtick can get old real fast.

Also I thought everyone liked Reese Witherspoon's pig mom, not the porcupine :v:.

Unrelated, I watched a bunch of Prince of Egypt clips again last night and drat what I'd give to be in the timeline where Dreamworks kept producing serious animated films like that :sigh:.

You bring up a lot of fair points, but honestly I felt like Buster Moon (the Koala) stole the show. He's fun, he's dynamic, and he's an unrepentant but endearingly oblivious rear end in a top hat. It's his sheer determination and doggedness that pushes the plot forward, too, even if most of what he does ultimately backfires, and taking his character arc to end at the car wash fits a lot better thematically than the actual ending.

Sing is as much about Mina as Buster, I think, and her arc feels complete and well-earned.

If any character is a dud, I'd say it's either Gunther who gets absolutely no character development or backstory whatsoever and exists only as a mechanism to drive Rosita's arc or Mike who had so much potential as another con-artist esque rear end in a top hat, but who stayed flat for the whole run. That he only shows up at the end out of spite is perfect, though :allears:

...I really enjoyed Sing, you guys :shobon: My biggest complaint is that it's really six separate stories taking place at the same time, with very little interaction between the protagonists of each 'story' save for one forced scene where they try to cheer up Buster for reasons. It would have benefited from a lot more focus or interconnected-ness.

Das Boo posted:

I finally got to see Moana last night and really enjoyed it. Enjoyed the characters, the scenery, the music and this is one of the very few instances where I didn't hate the sidekick. (I was very surprised the pig wasn't in the majority of the movie as it seemed like the sort of design made to be adorable and sell merch. But Heihei is Gobbles from South Park, so that's fine n' dandy with me. It came across as a little hectic, but that didn't bother me as much as the absolute emptiness that was Frozen.

The fact that the film that takes place in the middle of the ocean for 70% of its run feels less empty than Frozen says something, for sure.

Definitely glad about Pua being a fake-out sidekick. Heihei fit a lot better, tonally.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

SatansBestBuddy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIbvi_fHBG0

Between this and the Lego Frozen movies, I feel like Disney is sliding back into it's DTV ways. Or maybe they never stopped and I just didn't notice?

Usually with bad television animation, there aren't enough frames of animation. Things are very jerky and unnatural. This feels like it's gone too far in the opposite direction-- everything's too smooth and fluid.