Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Yeah the predator vs. prey , or broad animal relations, is not 1:1 analogous with human race relations and I don't think it's intended to be. By using something relatively removed from the human experience, Zootopia is able to approach a topic many people are hesitant to discuss without the risk of running into those people's preconceptions and prejudices about actual social topics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
so like what's going on with John Lasseter? isn't the end of his "sabbatical" this week?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Renoistic posted:

To be fair, the 'dead mom returning' thing from 2 was also really lazy and that movie turned out OK.

the dead mom reunion scene was actually nice but everything else was pretty meh

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Macaluso posted:

http://collider.com/how-to-train-your-dragon-3-poster/#synopsis

Ooof. This is like the absolute laziest direction they could've gone

throw this in the trash

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

paradoxGentleman posted:

Honestly it's not even the princesses or Disney jerking off to how cool they are that bothers me, but all the name-dropping of companies like Google, Amazon etc. It really does feel like a giant advertisement. The joke about the princesses was fun but I really dont want to watch something so corporate-driven. I have to endure enough of that stuff in my everyday life.

they should've slotted Inner Workings before this for maximum capitalism

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Boss Baby 3?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
things i liked about Incredibles 2: the animation, dash being an excitable turd of a kid, the motorcycle chase, much more emphasis on the family as a whole than just Bob and Helen. someone mentioned this earlier but i loved how clear it was that the primary goal of these superheroes is not punching out some bad guy but saving lives. the climax isn't the battle, it's averting disaster with no casualties

things i did not like: Bob being a poo poo about Helen's success and then that arc not really being addressed again. Winston rescuing a working class family from poverty. Winston making it abundantly clear that the wealthy can change the law with relative ease and sponsor the signing of a new law on their private corporate boat. Winston cracking jokes about ineffective politicians like Disney is supposed to be on my side. the villain being someone who enslaves people via media lol. the weirdly violent clash between a sadistic baby and a hungry raccoon

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

lelandjs posted:

What other animated films came out/are coming out this year though? My guess is that the noms will be:

*Incredibles 2
*Isle Of Dogs
*Spider-Man
*Teen Titans Go
*Early Man
*Ralph Advertises Websites

I guess there’s a chance Hotel Transylvania 3 or a foreign film gets nommed instead of TTG but it’s slim pickings this year. It’s also just as likely that people forget about Isle of Dogs by the time noms roll around.

if anything I'd expect isle of dogs to get a best pic nom so the academy can pretend they watch animated movies for another year

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

I read a leaked script. In the end, Ralph and Vanelope become a sort of Galactus and Silver Surfer duo, looking for media congomerates to swallow and absorb into the Disney empire.

given the trailer, this is pretty believable. bonus points if there's a stinger advertising a galactus movie to celebrate the merger

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i watched shrek 1 for the first time in years yesterday and i hated it

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
not to derail from the current conversation too much, but does anyone have any recommendations for books about animation, beyond art books?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

Does Shrek still hold up?

no

it's super ugly and the good themes are completely overshadowed by awful jokes, pop music, and references for the sake of references

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Shrek is lovely.

the only thing even close to looking visually appealing is the lava castle

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I'm too repulsed by the alec baldwin baby design to ever watch it, though this thread did get me to watch Trolls...

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

don't play with my heart like this

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i saw Night Is Short, Walk On Girl just now. the male lead kinda sucks for a lot of the movie but otherwise it's grrreat. vivacious colors and animation, really funny, excellent side characters who elevate the whole thing

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

mycot posted:

I'm going to bring up the elephant in the living room, but.

Is it because they're black.

:yikes:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i would definitely prefer for studios to cast voice actors instead of celebrities in general but live action lion king's lineup is one of the few things it has going for it

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

big dyke energy posted:

Those covers probably cost basically nothing to create, while putting the movie poster might mean paying royalties to artists or something. Most people don't care about what their DVD cover looks like, and for the people who do care, you can sell them a special edition with a neat cover.

i loving hate that style of box art and also don't wanna spend like $60 on a movie :(

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Vegetable posted:

Is The Good Dinosaur at least mildly charming? It's the only recent Pixar film I haven't seen. As long as it's not actively evil or terrible I think I could stomach it. I sat through Cars, I can sit through another mediocre Pixar flick.

no

the backgrounds are impressive on a technical level but merely aspiring for photorealism. the character designs are bland blobs that clash horribly with those backgrounds. nothing really fits together. the t rex cattle wranglers are okay but not worth watching the rest of the movie for

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
my money's on eggman having a sympathetic backstory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i think spider man might have finally topped paranorman for most visually impressive climax, but I'll have to watch it again after the honeymoon period