Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Hedrigall posted:

Ernest & Celestine and the Rabbi's Cat I'll definitely give a go :3:

These two are really drat good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
I can't remember if it was linked in here but Felix Colgrave's Double King is so good you guys.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_MSFkZHNi4

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Raserys posted:

Pilot probably isn't the right word, I just said the first thing that came to mind. Probably not a series, but I'd sure watch it.

Yeah, someone was saying that it's actually been around a while. It was circulating around the film circuit and just recently got on the net. It would be awesome if they made a show based on it but that seems very unlikely.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Hedrigall posted:

Watch zootopia again tonight, got it

You really should take the time to watch Ernest & Celestine. It's a fantastic film and you are really missing out.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Shadow Hog posted:

...I haven't watched Over the Garden Wall or Ernest and Celestine...

That just means you have some excellent experiences ahead of you. Both of those works are fantastic. And yeah it was said but it's worth saying again and again until you actually watch them.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

CRINDY posted:

As for the Zootopia fan comics, Zootopia itself barely managed to stick the landing for what it was trying to say, and that was the work of dozens of career writers and animators working together with one purpose. I don't want to see what some furries with little storytelling experience and blatantly obvious wishes to gently caress the fox came up with working with those same guidelines.

You say that, but Zootopia was orignally going to be far more critical and darker in tone but Lasseter just nixed it entirely because he didn't want kids to hate the city itself. So nothing was allowed to portray the city as an institution in a negative light. There's a good liberalism joke in there somewhere, I'm sure. But that said, I'd trust individual story tellers to have a distinct story vision that might even be a bit interesting or at least daring as opposed to any story by committee. I mean those comics aren't good most likely but I really wouldn't trust disney to be able to tell a story with any teeth to it at all. Even if they could, the higher ups would just nix it because that's simply not their goal as a company. You want the empty platitudes that appease as many as possible without anything substantial that might push some people away.

That said, for what it sets out to be its okay. But yeah it's definitely possible that a single creator could take the source material and make something more interesting with it. The bar has hardly been set very high. But having so many hands in the pot is definitely a detriment, especially when the people behind the project have to answer to someone like Lasseter in the end.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

ungulateman posted:

It's pretty much the anime equivalent of Starship Troopers, in terms of 'the world is constructed such that fascist ideology is correct'. I don't know if the dude is legitimately sincere about it or if he's making a point like Verhoeven was, since I haven't watched all that much of it, but it's kinda uncomfortable.

I don't think anyone knows one way or the other, it's all been speculation. That said, I don't think anyone in authority is portrayed particularly well in that series. People with power being exceptionally terrible people is definitely a recurring theme. I don't think you can really discuss it here without massive spoilers however. The thing that makes it tricky to pin down is that the author likes to keep introducing new revelations that completely changes all the context of everything that's happened before.

That said I wouldn't recommend it. FMA:B is much better overall. So go for that one and Totoro.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Hedrigall posted:

From what I've seen the cats in that film are the opposite of big :catstare:

Big ain't just about size though. Style and personality matter and the cat in that movie has those in spades.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Acebuckeye13 posted:

:stare: Uh... should I ask what the hell happened, or am I better off not knowing?

Not gonna go into details but he sexually assaulted a co-worker.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
The dub for Ernest and Celestine was pretty good. So it's good to see that this one will likely be decent as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
What's the joke supposed to be? Like beyond the fact that it's in completely poor taste, what loving joke were they even going for.

What kind of parallel could you even draw between those two works. It's not even a pun... I... why...