Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Unmature posted:

If I didn't know better and you told me this was from Pinocchio I'd believe you.

The colouring's right, but the shape of the face doesn't fit. Neither does the dog reflected in the eyes, but that's just being pedantic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Sir Lemming posted:

I might be totally wrong on this, but Treasure Planet and Atlantis always struck me as Disney trying to do something like Titan AE, which is bizarre because that movie wasn't even a hit. I guess there was some bug going around the animation studios at the time that people wanted more edgy, action-oriented animated movies? Maybe it was due to the popularity of anime at the time?

Atlantis was conceptualised a few years before production started on Titan A.E. It came about because the team behind The Hunchback of Notre Dame really wanted to make an adventure film in the vein of Raiders of the Lost Ark, drawing inspiration from Jules Vernes' stories. Treasure Planet, meanwhile, was a pet project of Ron Clements that he had been trying to pitch since the 80s. I don't doubt that both films were financed at least partly because Disney saw the diminishing returns of its traditional animated films and tried to explore new ideas, but they weren't reactions to a specific project by a competitor.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

It's not an unfair sentiment, but it's a bit odd to complain about it now because the Animation Oscar has been consistently awarded to the "safe" option since its inception. Underdogs pretty much never win in this category, so I don't know why anyone would have expected a different outcome this time around.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Pick posted:

I don't really know why "underdogs" should win. I thought Zootopia was the best of those films, so it should win it.

Well, from a social welfare perspective, you could argue that lesser known films profit most from a victory because it allows them a moment in the spotlight. Through selecting an underdog, the academy could show a greater audience that quality animation can be found outside of the traditional American mold, thereby highlighting the versatility of the medium.

From a quality perspective, The Red Turtle and My Life as a Zucchini were far superior, you heathen. :colbert:

PenguinKnight posted:

The first two years of the animated feature Oscar are really interesting. Shrek beat Monster's Inc., and Spirited Away won over Lilo & Stitch. After that though, outside of 3 outliers, it's all been Disney/Pixar movies.

I'll give you Sprited Away, but I wouldn't consider Shrek an unconventional pick. It was a huge success upon release, and its cultural imprint has been far larger than the one of Monster's Inc.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Still can't believe Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius lost to Shrek.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

PenguinKnight posted:

The interesting thing is, imo, that for the first half of the 90s, animated films were kind of a wasteland outside of Disney/Ghibli

For all the complaining we do in this thread, the animation field is more diverse these days than it has been throughout most of the 20th century. It just tends to be forgotten easily because a handful of fairly homogenous releases dominate the box office.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Das Boo posted:

I don't like movies about singing or dancing. Which seems odd as that means it's a pool large enough to draw a conclusion from.

Frankly, human beings who don't enjoy singing or dancing are rather suspect. You might be part of the lizard people, I'm sorry to say.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Fangz posted:

How well do you think Boss Baby will do? Do kids like films about babies?

I don't know about kids, but almost every young adult I know is ecstatic about the film. It'll do fine.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

It's a baby that dresses like an adult! Alec Baldwin is saying "goo goo gah gah"!

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

K. Waste posted:

Probably Heavy Traffic, Wizards, or American Pop.

The entirety of Wizards is basically just a setup for the final punchline. But to its credit, it's a really good punchline.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Hedrigall posted:

Couldn't they have cast an actual French actor for Lumiere?

But then it would no longer be true to the animated version.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

CRINDY posted:

Is animation fatigue a possibility for the wider market, do you think?

I don't know about fatigue, but there's only so many times a family will take its kids to the cinema per year. I imagine a lot of smaller studios will have trouble competing with Disney and Illumination because those who rarely frequent theatres are more risk-averse when selecting films and thus tend to go with brands they already know and trust. Mabye that's less true for films based on existing properties (TV shows, books, whatever), though.

Pixeltendo posted:

Will the movie end with Gru creating the Gru-mer which causes his twin brother to go bankrupt?

Not asking Danny DeVito to voice the character was definitely a missed opportunity.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Shadow Hog posted:

This is a goddamn trainwreck, isn't it

See, everything I hear about the new Beauty and the Beast makes me like it just a little bit more. PTSD Gaston owns.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Alan_Shore posted:

It did seem like they were desperate to paper over any and all perceived plot holes from the original. Which is silly of course.

Should have just opened with this.

quote:

Children believe what we tell them. They have complete faith in us. They believe that a rose plucked from a garden can plunge a family into conflict. They believe that the hands of a human beast will smoke when he slays a victim, and that this will cause him shame when a young maiden takes up residence in his home. They believe a thousand other simple things.

I ask of you a little of this childlike sympathy and, to bring us luck, let me speak four truly magic words, childhood’s ”Open Sesame”:

Once upon a time…

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Alan_Shore posted:

Emma Watson was a bad choice. I don't know why they went with her, surely not for added box office cos this movie was making bank regardless. I'm getting real sick of crewing your musicals with people who can't carry a tune.

I'm not sure who the best Belle was, but I would have liked Allison Brie.

There's a difference between "making bank" and "earning enough money to buy a small country", and Allison Brie doesn't have the star power for the latter.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Why did they rename Ballerina to Leap! for the US market? Is ballet such an unfathomable concept over there?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Aces High posted:

Is it only the US? Because I've seen posters here in Canada that say Ballerina

It's a French-Canadian film. It would be kind of weird if the country of origin didn't keep the original title.

PenguinKnight posted:

We do love the ballet, though?

Haha, well played.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

The weirdest thing about Space Jam is that so many people have strong feelings about it one way or the other. It's such a bland film.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I wonder what's been spurring those recent cartoon revivals. Is it due to studios looking at the crazy money Hasbro's been making with My Little Pony and figuring they want a slice of the pie as well? Or is it another outgrowth of the nostalgia wave Disney's been riding with its recent live-action remakes?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

The correct solution to no good animated films being in cinema right now is checking out whether anyone close to you is doing an interesting retrospective. If you live in or nearby a large city, there's a good chance something decent is showing right now. For instance, one of the local theatres is presenting Nausicaä tomorrow, and I couldn't be more excited to see it on a big screen.

Build-a-Boar posted:

I would do a top 10 list but I saw Wizards for the first time the other day and it blew my mind with its terrible, awful weirdness. I can't stop thinking about it. What the hell was it all about? Why did the wizard shoot the other wizard with a luger, why nazis, why elves, what the hell happened

I was initially lukewarm on Wizards, but the more I think about it, the more I like it. That finale is just so drat perfect.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Hedrigall posted:

There's a film archive cinema in my town that does old animated movies weekly all year, but it's always Thursday daytimes for fucks sake. I work! :(

Work?!

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Robindaybird posted:

And honestly, I don't like Wizards save for it's Finale - I just don't like Bakshi's works, I respect him as an influence on animation, but there's just something about it that I just don't like.

His animation style is rather crude, partly due to budget constraints and partly due to his aesthetic sensibilities, and I can see how that would be off-putting. On top of that, his writing style feels very stream of conciousness at times. What makes Wizards so fascinating is that it's such a hodgepodge of different ideas, themes, and plot elements. It's a stark difference to the straightforward narrative style Disney or Ghibli employ.

Plus, you know, being a countercultural artist is inevitably going to date your work because culture shifts.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Spatula City posted:

1. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
2. The Iron Giant
3. Fantastic Mr. Fox
4. Lilo & Stitch
5. Rango
6. The Incredibles
7. Coraline
8. WALL-E
9. My Neighbor Totoro
10. A Town Called Panic

That's a drat good list, and it's nice to see I'm not the only one who treasures A Town Called Panic.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Aces High posted:

You're most excited to show her Pinocchio?

Seeing children's reaction to the transformation scene is always a good time.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Barudak posted:

Nice try nearly convincing me to watch Your Name, but its by the same guy as 5 Centimeters per Second and you cant trick me twice.

I still can't believe that Don Bluth directed both The Secret of NIMH and A Troll in Central Park. Is there an animation director with a larger quality difference in their filmography?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I've genuinely never heard the name, so I'll admit ignorance and ask you to elaborate.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Thanks for the explanations. I think I'll pass on both directors.

air- posted:

Transformers The Movie (1986)

Look, I wasn't gonna disparage anyone's top 10 because taste is subjective and who am I to judge and all that, but come on, man!

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

21 Muns posted:

Is it really for a younger demographic than DM3?

There's certainly less of a social stigma attached to watching a Despicable Me film. Not to mention the Minions being extremely popular with teenagers and young adults.

Then again, Your Name seems like the kind of release that solely attracts animation enthusiasts, so maybe they figured they'll show as many cartoon trailers as possible in the hope that someone will be interested.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Our circles of acquaintances must differ greatly, because I've met far too many 20-somethings who are way into anything Minions-related.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

If we're talking about visually stunning Anime, I'd be remiss not to bring up Tekkonkinkreet.

Edit: Tekkonkinkreet is also second only to Kakabakaba Ka Ba? in film titles that are really fun to pronounce.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I still stand by my initial Your Name review on Facebook:

I like this review because you can substitute Your Name with anything, and it still works. Very efficient.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 18, 2017

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Watching End of Evangelion was one of the most uncomfortable experiences I've ever had in a cinema.

It owns!

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Build-a-Boar posted:

Maybe I'm crazy but all the people in this movie look like they were drawn from referencing people in Pinocchio (except above is just an example of someone who doesn't know how to draw)

Well, you know what they say: If you gotta steal, steal from the best.

Robindaybird posted:

This is something I notice with ALL Tim Burton's movies, even the stuff that's considered unequivocally good - there's this kind of sterileness in the direction and set that keeps the audience at arm's reach from the characters and actions.

Sounds like someone hasn't seen Ed Wood.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

DC Murderverse posted:

I nearly had a panic attack watching that movie sober, I can't imagine watching it while imbibing anything.

why do people let their children watch that movie it's loving terrifying.

What's the matter, fella, Blue Meanies?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

You grew a beard and learned to speak like Christopher Lee?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I wonder if it's possible to get cels from Allegro non troppo.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Regalingualius posted:

Did Moebius ever have any of his work adapted into animation?

It's not based on one of his comics, but Moebius was heavily involved in the creation of Les Maîtres du temps, doing most of the film's design and writing.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Apr 27, 2017

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Well played.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Das Boo posted:

The one for Fantasia was really neat. I'm in awe of the ingenuity and innovation required from stop-motion (also intimidated out of the field by it), and it's very, very interesting to hear about the practices I take for granted in my own. Plus the sheer work that went into pulling of effects you'd never really considered, like the spirits in the Bald Mountain segment.

A lot of the commentaries for the early Disney films are fascinating because they're done by animation historians and as such go into great depth concerning the conditions under which those films were produced and the techniques which were used. Pinocchio is another good example.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Feels like the prince emotes far more in that third picture than he does during the entire film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I always thought having seen every Ghibli film was a requirement for being allowed to post in this thread.