Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Alhazred posted:

In the book that Grave of the Fireflies is based on the main character is supposed to be unsympathetic because he failed to take care of his little sister.

I think a lot of that could be due to guilt felt by the author: Akiyuki Nosaka, the man who wrote the short story Grave of the Fireflies, really did have a little sister who died of malnutrition and he blames himself for her death because he failed to give more of his food to her even though he was just as starving as she was :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Robindaybird posted:

https://www.polygon.com/2018/11/6/18068200/shrek-puss-in-boots-reboot-illumination

"Shrek and Puss in Boots are getting a reboot from Illumination"

How about no? Just let it die.

Nope, they're going to milk that cash cow until it's DEAD.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I loved that Detective Pikachu trailer. Funny, while also showing some sincere love for the source material. If the movie manages to keep that tone all the way through it'll be amazing.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pick posted:

lovely movies are good now, and good movies are poo poo. it is the way of things.

LEGO Batman movies are good. pixar movies are poo poo. pikachu in a loving sherlock holmes hat is good. wdas makes you sigh.

The newest Laika movie is just a worse version of Smallfoot.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pick posted:

Smallfoot owns and apparently was a success, I mostly flipped because I misread the metrics and thought it was a mega-flop.

Oh I agree, I loved Smallfoot, but it certainly looked liked it was going to be bad from the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNYwnlcjnDU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Das Boo posted:

The Pokemon games have some really good hidden ghost stories in them. I think it's X/Y where you take an elevator up to a random, useless floor in a random, useless building and as you exit, your character freezes. A woman without a walking animation glides up behind you and says, "You're not the one I'm looking for." before gliding away. Then you regain control of your character like nothing ever happened. She appears twice more in the game: Once listening to an elevator, and then once in a background pan of an Elite Four cutscene. The room is constructed like an arena room, but with one empty chair for her.

It also has that weird message scrawled on the back of the bulletin board in the train station. Something like, "Wait here. I'm going for help."

The ghost in the elite four is different from the elevator ghost, there's just a lot of ghost haunting about.

Ccs posted:

I was recently thinking "wow the designs on this Detective Pikachu movie sure do look like the ones from this guy on Twitter" and lo and behold he was the one who worked on the movie:

https://twitter.com/Kotaku/status/1062149585966194690

That's awesome! It's nice to see talented artist have success.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It was literally a meme, a very funny one admittedly. Ryan Reynolds is pretty much the funniest and best option they could go for. (and has experience with CGI characters!)

as much as I like Devito, Ryan Reynolds is 100% the right choice.

Man, Pickachu and Deadpool, what beloved nerd icon will he voice next?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Phylodox posted:

Presumably Ryan Reynolds.

Ryan Reynolds is Ryan Reynolds in The Ryan Reynolds movie.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

ThermoPhysical posted:

There is no animated movie worse than Strange Magic, The Emoji Movie, or Minions.

At least RBTI tries to be humorous and looks good. Those three don't even do that.

Strange Magic is still the worst movie I've ever seen. Bar none. That includes live action or half live action (like those animated plus live action stuff like Pixels).

I'm willing to go to bat for Minions. Minions is a good movie.

I'm not too fond of the Despicable Me film series, and in any other setting I hate the minions whenever they show up. So, you can imagine my surprise when A) some people who's opinions in regards to films I really respect claimed the Minions movie was actually very enjoyable and B) I also went and watched it and discovered that I liked it and laughed a lot. Minions is extremely good at being exactly what it wants to be, and what it wants to be is series of loosely connected Looney Tunes styled comedy sketches. It's only goal is too be funny, and it succeeds. I know humor is subjective, but if you like physical comedy and fast paced sight gags then this is the movie for you. Also, the main antagonists of the movie Scarlet Overkill and her husband Herb are surprisingly good characters and super fun every time they're on screen.

I still don't like Minions in general, but The Minions Movie is definitely worth watching.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Nov 26, 2018

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

All this noir cat talk made me remember "The Cat Piano": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj4RBmU-PIo

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pick posted:

Don't forget Garfield short, Diana's Piano! click

Oh gently caress you for posting this, now I'm crying in the middle of the day over a Garfield cartoon.

I have poo poo to do today Pick! I don't have time for all these bittersweet cat emotions I'm now feeling! :cry:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Uncle Wemus posted:

Man Garfield's nine lives was a trip

The Garfield's nine lives animated special and book are both worth checking out.

Larryb posted:

Yeah, Jim Davis can honestly put out some pretty decent stuff when he actually tries (see also: Garfield & Friends, most of the animated specials).

I went back and watched some of the old Garfield and Friends cartoons because I was feeling nostalgic and I was surprised by how funny a lot of them are. It's one of those childhood shows that holds up pretty well.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

ThermoPhysical posted:

Apparently the book was worse. My roommate says, in the book, Garfield (as another cat) kills and eats an elderly woman who's his owner because she can't feed him anymore.

Seth Macfarlane called Jim Davis out on that one too. haha

He doesn't kill her because she can't feed him, it's actually caused by something much weirder and creepier than that:

Seriously, everyone should check out Garfeild and his Nine Lives. It's good.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Guy Mann posted:

Are you seriously bitching that his shoes are different when it's been almost two decades since he started rocking Soap shoes and they've been redesigned with every new iteration since. This is like when the Tron Legacy trailer dropped and people were complaining that the light cycles weren't making 90 degree turns when that was something straight from the original movie, people who don't actually have any knowledge of or familiarity with the thing being updated are the ones crying loudest out of some weird reflexive outrage at change.

Tron Legacy did suck though. It might not have sucked for the reason you mentioned, but it did suck.

I say that not as a Tron fan (I've never even seen the original Tron), but just as a person who watches movies sometimes.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Queen Combat posted:

Yeah it sucks but I seem to watch it about once a year and I still enjoy it for some reason.

Probably related, the soundtrack is dope as hell, and it's shiny enough to chill out and listen to while watching.

Let the record show I have no problem with the soundtrack of Tron Legacy, most things Daft Punk is involved with are great and so is that.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

So Tails isn't going to show up until like the third movie when Blaze the Cat tricks Sonic into drinking poison causing him to vomit Tails back up along with Amy Rose, Shadow the Hedgehog, Rouge the Bat, Knuckles the Echidna, and Cream the Rabbit whom Sonic had also eaten so that they would not be a threat to his eternal cosmic reign?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Looper posted:

my money's on eggman having a sympathetic backstory

What are you talking about? Eggman is already sympathetic: he really wants to build theme parks and blowup up a smartass hedgehog, how is that not relatable?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Senior Scarybagels posted:

He is also a feminist, he should be the protagonist.

Eggman is a very well rounded character, and not just because of his shape.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Elfgames posted:

"Romanticist, feminist and self professed gentleman" is exactly what joss whedon(and a hundred other shitbags) would have described himself as.

Woah! Don't go insulting Eggman by comparing him to Joss Whedon! Yeesh, that was just mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Das Boo posted:

I can't tell beautiful people apart. I spent that Milla Jovovich movie about face blindness trying to figure out if and when they had switched out the dude who played her husband again. They were all handsome, brunette white dudes, how the gently caress should I know.

I hope Iago is Danny Devito.

And he's not voice acting a cartoon parrot, it's Danny Devito in a parrot costume that doesn't quite fit right.

That would be worth the ticket price alone.

This Jafar doesn't need magic to hypnotize the sultan, he just dazzles him with his beautiful abs.