Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Looking forward to Coco, Lego Batman, Cars 3 (I guess) and rewatching Zootopia for the twentieth time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I dunno, while Zootopia'd only be merely good without the message (as opposed to excellent), the world-building is still pretty spectacular compared to pretty much any other talking animal film out there. Like, I haven't seen the full film (and am not exactly falling over myself to do so), but the trailer for Sing just had me constantly thinking "man, Disney realized this world concept so much better earlier this year".

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

Sure we can. We only see one country in Zootopia, not the world.
On the flipside, we do see the world in Cars 2. At least, a large chunk of it.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Don't worry, they're all in Tommy Westphall's mind, anyway

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

K. Waste posted:

Disney canon isn't chronological and linear, it's more like a centralized web, where the magic castle at Disneyland serves as a kind of stargate. I'm not even bullshitting, the magic castle is incorporated diegetically into the opening of a lot of Disney movies, now. Heck, even the new Jungle Book explicitly takes place in Disney's Animal Kingdom.

edit:

And now that Star Wars is canon, you can officially say that all Disney movies take place long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away.
Zootopia 2 has an after credits sequence with Thanos

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I rented Kubo.

That was an excellent film, though I can sort of see why people say it didn't stick the landing.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Animals go from walking around in the nude, to inconsistently wearing clothes, to collectively deciding shoes suck but pants are a must

Somewhere along the way, monarchical rule gives way to publicly elected officials

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Probably the transition period between it and Zootopia, where some people still wear shoes and some still don't wear pants (e.g., Donald). Pretty sure the monarchy's already been abolished by this point, at least.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Oh yeah, touché. Kinda forgot that detail.

I did keep thinking how everyone in Zootopia would react if Sora, Donald and Goofy showed up dressed as-is to a world based on their film. Sora and Goofy would get a lot of "what the crap are you"s, while Donald would probably be Judy's first arrest of the day for indecent exposure.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Reminds me of

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

At least Wreck-It Ralph! 2 seems to be done by WDAS proper instead of the DTV guys?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I don't know that those weird Flash games really moved en masse to Zootopia (or probably Moana now). Frozen still being Disney's most prominent work, merchandising-wise, despite three films having come out since then, they're probably safe to make Elsa's Pregnant Podiatry, Dental and Brain Surgery until this changes.

Honestly, I wish they'd stop.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I mean, of course they're not going to, but that doesn't mean I can't wish that they would...

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Corek posted:

DANCE PARTY

DAAAAANCE PARTY

(The AV Club wrote an article about how annoying animation ending dance parties are.)

http://www.avclub.com/article/why-are-animated-dance-party-endings-so-goddamn-an-247143
It does kind of annoy me that Zootopia has a dance party ending, though it also surprises me that I'm only kind of annoyed by it compared to some more blatant dance party endings. Probably because the film already has a proper ending (the sort of "And the Adventure Continues..." you got with them catching the street racer) and it just cuts to said dance party for the credits sequence as an "oh, also, this happens, we guess, we dunno, it doesn't really impact the plot much does it"? It's hard to encapsulate.

I suppose that's something both Kubo and Moana have up on Zootopia - no dance party endings to speak of. (Not that either would've lent themselves much to one.)

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

FirstAidKite posted:

Was who framed roger rabbit any good
Yes it was

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I only really remember the ending bits, myself, with the trip into Toontown, the legally-complicated scene with Mickey Mouse and Bugs Bunny skydiving, and a voice that talked JUST! LIKE! THIIIIIIIIIIIS!

But that's enough for me, it was still a good film.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

I hope the reveal is that Lightning McQueen has grown into an old meaningless racist and he realizes at the end when his family have all abandoned them because he keeps saying horrible things about foreign cars.
He then somehow becomes president.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Lightning Returns: Cars III

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

ED: Wrong thread, dammit

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

https://twitter.com/Disney/status/818286653429137409
Not terribly shocking, but not undeserved either.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Might as well end the thread right there, honestly. We're not gonna top that.
Animation Thread 2017: They Could Be Communists

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

So the doll for Belle from the live-action Beauty and the Beast has been revealed, and... oh

Oh

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Just watched that video before I saw you'd posted it in here. Funnily enough, Belle there suffers from an opposite problem that Aunt May there does; her head's clearly too big, compared to May's undersized head.

Though both have foreheads that are way too large, and both look kind of like men to some people (I've seen Nicholas Cage comparisons around Twitter for Belle, and Aunt May makes me think of Willem Dafoe, hilariously enough).

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Martytoof posted:

Is this english because I feel like I understood maybe three words.

Although I somehow managed to completely miss Storks. From the little bits and pieces I saw I kind of want to watch it. Hope it hit Netflix real soon.
From what I can tell:

Human girl (Tulip?): Okay, well, I'll not use the bucket!
Stork: Wait, what?
Green-head pigeon dude: Ha ha, Tulip doesn't fit in! We're all the same, and she's a weirdo!
Stork: Woah woah woah, that's not nice, she's-
Green-head pigeon dude: She's had a hard life!
Stork: Oooooooooooookaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I'm pretty sure they are doing Aladdin. Swear I heard about it in the last thread.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

MoanaoM

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Martytoof posted:

If we got a Zootopia toon in that style I'd be down with it. The iOS detective game is really nice looking. The movie translates into 2D amazingly well.
I imagine it's easier to transition from 3D to 2D than the other way around!

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

https://twitter.com/SonyPictures/status/821784679388852225

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Oh, and in non-💩-related news:

https://twitter.com/SonyPictures/status/821789490263900160

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

From what I read, one of his bigger regrets is not being able to take the role of Jafar, because TNG kept him too busy.

Imagining Jafar not being voiced by Jonathan Freeman, and the idea just feels so utterly foreign to me...

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Dreamworks announces the sequel to Trolls, but it's actually about goblins

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Well, if we're doing that now, then:

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Aces High posted:

The Zootopia one I didn't even really notice was changed, gonna be honest
Eyes got swapped, from the looks of it. Surprisingly, that small change makes a rather unsubtle difference.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Though honestly, for as curiously adorable as Nick now looks, I kind of like the stoned look Judy gained more.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I really wanna say that it's just that Zootopia was more popular than they expected, and that the low amount of merchandising is because it takes time for the systems they've got for making it to kick into gear. That said, it having been this long... I dunno.

At least they're selling Young Judy dolls at Disney Stores. Not an outfit that appeared in the movie (I don't recall Judy wearing skirts at any point, though I wouldn't put it past her), but it's something?

Would be nice to have official adult-size T-shirts available, though. Only ones I've ever seen are Flash saying "Chill, dude!", and even then, it's been a while since I've seen it.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

A single pant

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

For as annoyed with Disney villains as I've been lately, there really wasn't any other way Zootopia could've gone IMO. A whodunit generally has to have a villain that doesn't properly introduce themselves until the final moment.

I mean, the setting could totally fit a more traditional blatant villain causing problems instead of merely playing up systemic prejudices and letting those do all the work for them (eg: more of a Ratigan, I guess? I haven't watched Great Mouse Detective in a while), but the particular story that actually wound up in the film wouldn't have worked nearly as well if they'd gone that route. I do kinda hope they get the chance to go that route later, though. Story wouldn't be as unique, obviously, but it'd still be a lot of fun.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Kids also saw Moana, so I guess there's that to worry about?

Does mean Kubo is most likely out in the cold, though, let alone Zucchini or Red Turtle.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Scar got fat after Mufasa died, I guess.

Not like anyone else around Pride Rock did.

EDIT: Off-topic a bit, but did Blockbuster Video (the subforum, not the store) vanish? Wasn't aware it was doing that badly.

Shadow Hog fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jan 30, 2017

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I don't see too much fanart being posted here to make that judgment call myself.

Some might call that a blessing, though. Keeps the focus on discussing the movie du jour instead of fanart thereof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I dunno that I'd say it's better than Zootopia personally, but it was up there.

I kind of wish they weren't both 2016 releases so they wouldn't be competing with one another, but here we are.