Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

you left out a pretty important word there, which is "basically." it's not exact, but it's as close as a Hollywood movie can reasonably get, especially one that's beholden to the earlier Disney version in any way and one that's trying not to be horrifyingly racist.

So, by "the Kipling stories played basically straight" you actually just meant it doesn't have a sense of humor? New Jungle Book has as less in common with the original stories than old Jungle Book, as one would expect of the "serious" remake of an adaptation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Going to be so pumped when Hallmark releases it's radical new series on how black lives really do matter

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

stuff for adults does get made, though and when it does manage to crack the mainstream temporarily, it loving prints money. and yet, for some reason, it never becomes a trend. nobody looks at Ninja Scroll and Ghost in the Shell basically singlehandedly keeping Manga Entertainment in business and Castlevania doing crazy well on Netflix, and goes "hmm, maybe there's an audience for animated action stuff." nobody looks at Sausage Party managing to make its budget back almost tenfold and Rick and Morty having a crazy huge rabid fanbase and goes "hmm, maybe there's an audience for adult comedy in animation." it's like they actively ignore it when these things do well.

literary fiction would only be comparable if there was a massive horde of starved intellectuals coming out of the woodwork whenever a publisher puts a literary fiction novel out.

e: like, loving christ, Sausage Party alone should have honestly changed this. it was a very bad movie, but it also literally made ten times its budget solely off the novelty of it being R-rated. you'd think some of the animation studios would be looking at this, imagining the results of making an R-rated animated movie that's actually good and high-effort, and seeing massive loving dollar signs.

There's not really a formula tying these together that assures success the way children's cartoons tend to follow an established template for predictable results, and you're risking a lot more paying to fully animate your film about a sapient dildo who talks like Donald Trump vs. just getting a nice camera and a making the dildo a guy. there's like a mozillion lovely shows that've been floated on Adult Swim and most will be gone in a season or two, not inspiring Reddit death cults

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:24 on May 11, 2018

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Macaluso posted:

Unpopular opinion: The Fantastic Mr Fox is too hard to look at for me to watch it

they're extremely bad, extremely dead taxidermied animals twitching around in a grisly parody of life and anyone attempting to interpret the movie without acknowledging this is a hack

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Fig A:

Fig B:

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

ungulateman posted:

this seems like a classic case of adults thinking of the worst possible interpretation of a way a child could see something

like, a kid's actual response to this is "oh yeah like when i go to the doctor and they have to stick weird things in my ears and nose", not "being sexually molested is great"

yeah, uh, about that

like seriously how did you get through a whole sentence of defending "adults are gonna do funny touches on you and it's not your place to question why" on the grounds that kids aren't going to understand that's molestation and not think twice

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 29, 2018

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

this just feels like hairsplitting about the relative level of hipness of different toy ads but otoh I'm apparently the like one millennial not consumed by nostalgia for Transformers or He-Man

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jun 5, 2018

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Ccs posted:

Pixar has definitely hit rock bottom. But at this point their corporate culture has been exposed so they can only get better. Hopefully it will become a better place to work.

Sad that such dicks were running the place, even if they could spin a good story.

The Lasseter thing is a Big Deal but if they keep the cash coming in for Disney I'm not holding my breath, pretty much every big-name aspirational employer kids grow up dreaming of working for is like this. There's a million other talented people at least as good as you who'd do anything to have your job and your boss knows it; the higher-ups are Billionaire Genius golden boys who can do no wrong and haven't heard "no" in decades; no poo poo they're gonna treat you like a side of beef.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Wheat Loaf posted:

Oh, I'm sure little girls still enjoy it (though I imagine a lot of them have probably outgrown it after seven years) but I meant are bronies still a big thing? I don't feel like I hear about them a lot when they used to be everywhere on the Internet a few years back.

there was a bronycon in Baltimore's huge convention center last week that was extremely heavily attended by people who looked exactly like you're picturing them looking. It's just all the rest of the internet has moved on to obsessing over frog nazis and etc.

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's been 10 years but I still remember being in a discussion with a guy who was upset that the live-action Speed Racer movie was "silly" because he thought fans who'd grown up on the cartoon "deserve(d) edgier fare" as adults, comparing to The Dark Knight. As stupid as it is, it's one of those exchanges which I think actually had a pretty big impact on what I think of "fandom" as a concept.

I suppose it goes back and forth and Batman is a good example. Fans spent nearly 30 years being ashamed of and embarrassed by the Adam West series. I don't know if people are bored of Batman being all grim all the time yet (though people certainly liked Batman: The Brave & the Bold a whole lot) but that's been the norm for the character in mainstream consciousness since the late 80s.

yeah it seems like this poo poo comes in cyclical fads, I do wonder how many of the 30-year-old teenage boys insisting every piece of childrens' media needs to be improved by making it grimdark are just like that because their tastes got formed by 90s cartoons that tried to stick pizza and backwards baseball hats and an edgy 'tude on everything possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I've never actually sat through an entire episode but endless volumes of deviantart stuff told me that's exactly what my little pony is about. sometimes the ponies have guns.