Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Phylodox posted:

We'll see if they can maintain that level of quality for more than four episodes.

It's had a lot of time in the oven, Frederator's a good studio, and while CV looks nice it's not exactly One Punch Man or Fate/zero. They'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The whip action was loving brutal in CV. I was simultaneously cringing and laughing my rear end off when he took that one priest's finger off.

"WHAT loving FINGER!?" :gonk:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Das Boo posted:

Is there a reason it's a four episode season and not like, a movie?

It's the first chunk of the first season and the remaining 8 episodes are on the way, from what I understand.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Unmature posted:

I considered that one and the two other related films, but Beladonna just finally made it to blu ray.

You need to watch Belladonna of Sadness if you're into artsy animation. It's a very unpleasant movie, but I consider it absolutely essential at the same time.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

suggesting that as an alternative to Emoji Movie for the kiddos, from what I understand, is utterly blinkered

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
thaaaaat's Gene Deitch for ya

dude is mostly known for his Tom and Jerry cartoons, which were notable for being the lovely ones that nearly killed the series

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
like, if anyone remembers the "Worker and Parasite" bit from the Simpsons, that was a direct and fairly brutal parody of his T&J shorts

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah seriously I get that it's a gimmick but it's a really unfunny and gross gimmick

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Pick said high-quality, not zero-budget Flash animation.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
~that's a technical foooooul~

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah this is the animation thread, despite all attempts to turn it into the Zoophilia Chat Thread

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

DC Murderverse posted:

Cartoon Network is lame and made a We Bare Bears artist delete a tweet with a little line animation of Ice Bear punching a nazi (which was consigned by the creator of the show to boot!)

CN's relationship with politics is, uh, Bizarre and I'm incredibly unsure how to feel about them

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
yeah, new DuckTales owns

old DuckTales doesn't really hold up but it's not, like, terrible, beats the holy gently caress out of most of the other 80s cartoons tbh

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Pick posted:

The only past kid's cartoon that held up really well imho is Gargoyles. To be honest it's just a really good supernatural soap opera and if it had been correctly marketed to 30 year old women it would be in Season 57.

I agree with you that Gargoyles holds up, but disagree on why, to an extent

it's a really good supernatural soap opera, but it's also very definitely one for kids. it never tries to hide that or makes any bones about that, and one of its best episodes (possibly the absolute peak of the show) is a straight up Very Special Episode about why you shouldn't gently caress with guns. what makes it still work, revisiting it as a 23-year-old, is that it's a kids show that works at kids' level but never actually talks down to them and trusts their intelligence rather than insulting it. it's almost a predecessor to the... I don't want to say current, but recent crop of kids shows like Avatar: TLA and Adventure Time and Regular Show; it's written for its audience, but it never loses sight of actually being a good show in the name of singlemindedly pursuing its audience. it remembers to actually loving try.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I will say that there's one Deitch T&J, the "Tom and Jerry Cartoon Kit" one, that I actually really, really like. It's crudely animated like the other Deitch shorts, but the meta joke it relies on is fantastic.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

starkebn posted:

watched Belladonna of Sadness last night. What a beautiful film, great soundtrack too. The Japanese and French really seem to be able to get more out of the medium than what comes out of America.

The problem is that animation in America is either for kids, or extremely vulgar comedies. The Japanese and French can get more out of the medium because they actually want to, whereas American audiences largely see getting more out of the medium as an absurd waste of time.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Guy Mann posted:

Almost all of the most-watched animation in Japan and France are vulgar comedies and/or for children. Just because only the criticially-acclaimed and/or niche products are the only ones to get attention in America doesn't mean that's the only thing they make or that they're the most popular in their home countries.

It may not be the most popular stuff coming out of those countries, but at least artsy stuff for adults comes out of those countries, period. I'm trying to think of analogous stuff from America and I'm pretty much just coming up with Bakshi's work, Heavy Metal (and 2000 I guess), some of Hertzfeldt's stuff (but not all), Aeon Flux, and Anomalisa; artsy, adult-oriented animation just isn't a thing we make, typically, because the audience for it in the USA is small at best.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Alan Smithee posted:

lets be honest goku is a background toon appearing for 3 seconds at the end bc hes on loan from other studios

That depends on if it goes through Toei or Funimation. Toei are huge dicks and your assumption would hold true for them. Funimation, however, would be absolutely on board with having Goku be a side character with significant screen time.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Sir Lemming posted:

A Roger Rabbit sequel seems doomed to failure because the first movie wasn't really beloved for its characters or plot; it was beloved for what it was, as a whole. Using the same characters in another movie, or continuing the story, is kind of missing the point. All I can think of that a new movie would bring to the table is a) new cameos or b) needless additional backstory about Toontown. Plus the third and most likely option: references to the first movie.

We've already had other movies kind of carry the torch for WFRR. Toy Story to a small extent, by including Mr. Potato Head, Barbie, etc. And of course Wreck-It Ralph.

Or just... tell another story with the same general idea, and carry over a few characters from the first to keep it connected? WFRR's premise, of cartoons being "another Hollywood" living beneath the surface of live human Hollywood, is pretty ripe for exploration.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I would actually be really okay with them doing a CGI Bob Hoskins Eddie Valiant as long as they do something with it. Have the "new type of toon" cause strife in the toon community and explore that, for example.

e: alternate idea: have Eddie Valiant be long dead, and establish the CGI ghouls as separate characters.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
No, like, Eddie Valiant died in like '95 in a car crash or something and Roger sees a CGI Eddie walking around and goes "uh :wtc:". That could be interesting.

e: honestly, you could probably do something that's half Blade Runner, half Invasion of the Body Snatchers with this idea. Dead human stars start coming back as CGI constructs, unaware of what they are, poo poo goes bad, and Roger has to team up with the CGI ghoul of his old buddy to figure out what in the Hell is going on.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Aug 31, 2017

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

starkebn posted:

Using a new WFRR to comment on the use of cgi to keep dead actor's likenesses in films could be really good.

Honestly, when they mentioned the possibility of CGI Bob Hoskins, this was the most obvious place I figured they could go with it. It's pretty interesting territory for a sequel to a movie that's subtextually about how we relate to animation, and particularly how we relate to the labor behind animation. :v:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Calaveron posted:

How on Earth do you make a western cartoon living in japanese animes not be awful

have people who actually enjoy anime and can make jokes about it without resorting to tired cliches on the writing team, basically

OK KO is basically "what if Kappa Mikey was cool and good rather than completely terrible" and the difference pretty much amounts to the show being made with love and care rather than crapped out for money.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I honestly don't know how to feel about Captain Underpants. I feel weird saying this given the title, but it really has way too much toilet humor in it; when the movie's doing jokes that aren't related to poop or farts or underwear or toilets, it is astoundingly clever, but every now and then it just abruptly stops putting in any kind of effort for a few minutes.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

K. Waste posted:

Subtext is an ideological fantasy.

does that make you some kind of odd mix of Che and Walter Mitty?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
On an unrelated note: Fritz the Cat is a deeply unpleasant and gross movie, and I kind of loving love it the more I think about it. Most of the movie is either filler or outright horrible (the whole bit with the Nazi terrorists is just staggeringly awful to watch), but there's a surprising amount of the movie that's just straight fuckin' fire.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Alan Smithee posted:

man if i went by this thread that movie is apparently japanese gigli and a 4.0 on imdb

It's anime. Goons hate anime, largely.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Moon Atari posted:

Between Bee Movie and Monsters vs Aliens Dreamworks has already cornered the market on giantess fetishism.

I wonder if this might be the real reason they canned Gigantic- they had a bad enough time with Zootopia and furries, and an almost exact repeat of that clusterfuck but with an even weirder fetish doesn't sound like something they'd be into.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Pyrotoad posted:

Isn't that weasel voiced by the director?

Worse. Wayne Brady.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Desperado Bones posted:

I know Pixar is trying to create the hype for Frozen 2

Frozen is WDAS, not Pixar. I'm honestly kind of surprised they put it in front of a Pixar movie, typically Pixar does their own thing with the shorts.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Pentaro posted:

-Any film that dumps on Frida Kahlo is okay in my book.

I have a weird feeling the Latinx community in the USA is going to hate the gently caress out of this movie based on this alone.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Desperado Bones posted:

:lol: Just wait until you see it, it was loving amazing.

I'm not disputing that. I'm just saying they seem to have noticed a minefield and decided to happily skip along through it. :ohdear:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Gnomeo and Juliet was actually better than it had any right to be, which is to say it was an okay movie and not an abomination against God.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
it's almost like a complete brokebrain with the self-awareness of a potato isn't going to click with a movie about mental health

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Get ready to have Toads ruined

You say that like Nintendo isn't going to have a loving iron vice-grip on every aspect of the production of this movie. I don't think they want a repeat of the old Mario movie.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Shadow Hog posted:

Considering it's Illumination Entertainment, I'm guessing it'll be a rather average film that's avertised to hell and back to the point of annoyance. Also it will end with Mario throwing a dance party to the pop music du jour.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

You say that like Nintendo isn't going to have a loving iron vice-grip on every aspect of the production of this movie. I don't think they want a repeat of the old Mario movie.

Seriously, I'd be surprised if Illumination has any creative control and isn't just being used as a glorified render farm.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
It's an odd duck of a movie. I don't hate it. Nintendo, however, very openly does hate it, and saw it as disrespectful to the IP.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Ccs posted:

What? There's Dreamworks, Pixar, and Disney, and then there's Illumination. It's second-tier, not even close to bottom rung. And the french are pretty drat good at animation.

Yeah, if nothing else Illumination makes insanely pretty movies. And honestly, I really liked Minions; I'm not overly familiar with the DM series outside of that movie, but that movie was cute as hell.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
yes, the takeaway from all these rapists being cast into the light is that we should bar stubborn assholes from working on things we like, or for that matter, anyone who's ever done a remotely bad thing

this isn't a hollering loving insane thing to take away from this situation at all

e: to be less glib, there are degrees of assholery and someone being kind of a stubborn dick is a really, really stupid reason to cancel them compared to the people who have actually done horrible things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Das Boo posted:

My friends kept joking that the Frozen short was there to provide the necessary amount of whiteness to ease the audience into a film with no white characters?!

chances are reasonably good that this is literally the point