Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
https://twitter.com/HypraSeaPea/sta...111536411426816

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Robindaybird posted:

Wonder what is it about the old school Nick that turns out assholes with John K and Hartman.

And the new school, with Savino and Schneider. :psyduck: It's kind of bizarre that Jhonen Vasquez, of all people, is probably the least offensive person to make a major show under their employment.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, Jhonen Vasquez is a really good dude by all appearances, which was half the point of my post- you really wouldn't think the loving Johnny the Homicidal Maniac guy would be one of the best people there. Not only is he that, but a huge proportion of the people behind their much safer shows are staggeringly awful.

Also, regarding Butch Hartman, he seems to think that he needs to trick people in order to convert them. Because he is a crazy, awful pile of poo poo.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Wikipedia posted:

In 2015, when Paley posted her views about trans-women such as Caitlyn Jenner, some of her friends called her "transphobic". This prompted Paley to read about trans-exclusionary radical feminism (TERF), and to realize that she was a "gender-critical radical feminist" who argues against the social constructs that lead to a pattern of male violence.[51][52][53]

Nina Paley... is actually very bad

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Minions was actually really cute. :shrug:

I'd put it in a similar category to something like Penguins of Madagascar; it wasn't anything super emotionally resonant or deep, but it made me laugh my rear end off and had a lot of nice animation. It absolutely was not the Emoji Movie or anything like it, and it's actually why I'm completely not shocked Illumination got the Nintendo job (because it shows how their style would dovetail with that really well).

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, they're probably somewhat deliberately "unreal" so they can keep all the insane violence without potentially making it adults-only.

e: yeah, a quick look at the cast tells me that at some point they're doing the El-ahrairah and the Black Rabbit of Inlé story, which tells me this is gonna definitely be a "dark poo poo included" adaptation.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Dec 5, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Uncle Wemus posted:

“While we won’t shy away from the darkness in the book, visually it won’t be as brutal and scarring.”

Rory Aitken, executive producer

Then why even bother

I'm honestly pretty happy with what's said in that article, because the thing that makes the 1972 movie famous is also why it's a really not-great adaptation of the book. Watership Down is very loving dark at times and pretty violent, but the 1972 movie really kind of exacerbates the issue by removing basically every light moment and making the violence a lot more visceral; it sounds like the BBC remake is trying to strike a closer tone to the book's by downplaying the gore and restoring the nice bits.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ThermoPhysical posted:

I just wonder if anyone outside of the UK will ever get to see the new Watership Down.

Still waiting for Black Hollywood: 'They've Gotta Have Us' to be shown outside of BBC 2....despite it being about people in America, you can't see it if you're in America.

Netflix has already picked up international distro. If the BBC is airing it week-to-week, it'll probably go up in full shortly after the last episode airs.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Shadow Hog posted:

Indeed he was, which is why I was worried he suddenly had some baggage too to make it an "all sides are horrible" situation.

Linkara's talent and insight are a matter of extreme debate, but he's a good dude and literally always has been. Don't worry.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Honestly TVTropes is legitimately handy. I wouldn't call it an academic source, obviously, but if I see a plot element and go "hmm I like this," I can just look it up on there and get a huge list of everything else that's ever used that plot element, from well-known to deeply obscure. That's not an entirely bad way to find recs, and I've checked out a LOT of stuff because of TVTropes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Robindaybird posted:

Yeah, it's good for finding things if you like X or Y (You like shows with heroes that have evil alter egos? Here's a list of stuff), but it's terrible as a creative resource as it long tried to bill itself as.

Eh, I wouldn't even necessarily say it's bad as a creative resource, because being able to see a whole shitload of examples of a plot element is, again, really handy if you're planning on using that plot element and want do's and dont's.

e: like, for as much poo poo as they've gotten for the pages about sexual violence in fiction, those pages are basically a list of ways you shouldn't handle that topic and are pretty blunt on the matter, for example.