Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Wow, Wreck-It-Ralph 2 and Lego Movie 2 are practically looking like "DON'T [X], INSTEAD [Y]" examples in a textbook on writing sequels to animated films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Ccs posted:

Happened on some fun animation trivia, apparently the horse in Tangled was first animated to gallop like a horse, but as the film went on and he became more of a pet to Rapunzel, they gave him a rotary gallop, which only dogs do.

Something nobody would ever notice, but maybe subconsciously made the audience see it as more of a dog and more appealing. The power of animation!

...isn't him being like a dog, like, the entirety of his character's gag?

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Wulfolme posted:

good

loving hell, you act like he murdered somebody

Do you actually know that he didn't?

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, I just saw The Incredibles and Incredibles 2 back-to-back also (although I just saw the first one at my house instead of at a movie theater). I was expecting the new one to be a little worse than the original, but I think it was actually a little better instead, with the inherent problems of sequelization bringing it back down to about as good as the original. Incredibles 3 is the main Pixar sequel I'd be interested in going forward, and I would happily cancel Toy Story 4 to make it happen. (Although that's not really a fair trade, given that I think Toy Story 4 is a bad idea that shouldn't happen anyway.)

In any case I'm glad that Pixar is backing off of the sequels, but this is an example of what Pixar sequels should be, as opposed to Cars 2 (simply terrible, everyone knows this movie is bad and it's probably actually single-handedly responsible for the "Pixar sequels are bad" consensus just by throwing the average), Monsters University (I actually do like this movie quite a bit, but I still think making it was a bad decision on a lot of levels, which is pretty much the best case scenario for Toy Story 4 at this point), or Finding Dory (pretty and fun but a bizarrely fleeting experience, probably because it doesn't sufficiently embrace Dory and Hank as the protagonist and deuteragonist and tries to spin too many plates by looping Marlin and Nemo in just because they were the leads of the first movie).

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Erotic Wakes posted:

People actually had seizures from the Porygon episode of Pokemon. This is just somebody tweeting a screenshot of text on a phone. Unless it comes out that it's actually triggering epileptics I severely doubt some internet rando playing armchair neurologist is going to have that level of impact if the internet mob couldn't even get Lasseter fired.

I've seen a lot of messages on the internet claiming either first-hand or second-hand that it induced seizures or even sent people to the hospital. I'm currently in a superposition of "holy poo poo, who is devoting this much effort to running a hoax that Incredibles 2 gives epileptic people seizures" and "holy poo poo, how does Disney of all companies gently caress up so badly as to release an epileptogenic movie projected to make well over a hundred million in the first weekend", awaiting further information to determine which thing I should be confused about.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

The Teen Titans Go movie is an even better super hero movie parody than the Deadpool films (and I say this as someone who loved the Deadpool movies) it's funny and fun and just an all around joy to watch. It's easily the best non-Wonderwoman DC movie to come out in a long while and I strongly recommend watching it, even if you've never seen the TV show.

Better than Lego Batman?

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Thompsons posted:

That's like 98% fantastic but I have to say, it kind of drives me nuts when you have a collab and there's scenes where people just copy the same exact visual gags and staging as the original without adding anything or even really drawing it in a wildly different style.

I would agree but they kind of serve the "straight man" role of making the really wacky alternate scenes land harder by contrast.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Just rewatched Monsters University; a couple of weeks ago I rewatched Monsters Inc.

Hot take: Monsters University is significantly better than Monsters Inc. People think differently for a variety of reasons which are understandable but not really valid assessments of MU's quality: nostalgia goggles, Pixar having had lower expectations to meet in 2001, and of course the fact that Monsters University leans on Monsters Inc to establish its world. The general sentiment that Pixar sequels are unusually bad is just an illusion stemming from the fact that two of them are Cars sequels. Incredibles 2 isn't as good as The Incredibles, but it's a much closer match-up than most people seem to think. I honestly kind of loathe Finding Nemo, but I've always kind of wanted to rewatch Finding Dory. I still fully expect Toy Story 4 to suck and be a regrettable mistake, though, for obvious reasons.

I also recently rewatched Ratatouille, and drat that's a good movie. That's the other side of the coin - I am glad that Pixar seems to be moving away from sequels, because their standalone movies are usually really good (see: WALL-E, Up, Inside Out, Coco). I just think that a lot of the criticisms people make of their sequels are frivolous and don't really attempt to seriously grapple with the movies in question.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Shadow Hog posted:

I dunno, even then I found Cars 3 to be pretty good.

Cars 3 is obviously better than Cars 2, and probably better than Cars, but I can't help but think that Cars actually had the potential to be a good movie, and Cars 3 is not as good as the hypothetical good movie that Cars should have been. Honestly, the main reason that Cars is painful for me isn't that it's bad, it's that they wasted an opportunity to make it good.

EDIT: Oh, by the way, Incredibles 2 just passed Minions to become the second-highest-grossing animated film of all time, after Frozen. (Although this is all unadjusted for inflation, and therefore bullshit.) I really hope it'll pass Frozen, although I don't consider that very likely.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Pick posted:

I'll contrast to my extremely hated Inside Out, where no one in the family does anything interesting or even slightly outside the "safe zone" of TV-family behavior.

I think this depends on a pretty shallow, warped reading of the movie. Inside Out doesn't get quite as blunt about its characters' flaws as Coco does (I personally love them both for different reasons), and this is a legitimate flaw in the film, but it's still an extremely high-stakes story that completely centers on its characters' extremely unhealthy dysfunctions. In the climax of the film, Riley narrowly avoids becoming a missing child - IE, homeless, trafficked, and/or murdered - because her parents have done such a lovely job of parenting her and she is dangerously emotionally unstable. The ending is troubling, but I think that this is deliberate - it's a cathartic moment when Riley and her parents reunite and hug, but it's not really a functional redemptive moment for them, because it can't be - the flawed people in our lives aren't going to stop being flawed just because a crisis situation happened. We might just be stuck with them.

I can picture a "safe zone", "TV-family" version of the same story, but it would play out very differently - it probably would have been produced a few decades ago, before our society became so concerned about the well-being of unsupervised children. It probably would feature a younger child whose plan to run away is less feasible and harder to take seriously - I'm thinking like the old Calvin & Hobbes arc where Calvin "runs away". Alternatively, if the story were aimed at an older audience, it might feature an older teenager, verging on a young adult, who we could actually easily picture succeeding in life independently from their parents. But as is, the climax of Inside Out is a beautiful rendition of a parent's nightmare; thinking it over, I would actually say that it's the tensest any Pixar movie has gotten so far. And, of course, this isn't some externally-imposed conflict - it's entirely a result of the main characters' gradually accumulated bad personal decisions that their lives nearly self-destructed.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Pick posted:

She almost gets on a bus and she still has her phone.

Because Inside Out is a movie focusing on internal conflict, it is certainly a good thing that the climax hinges entirely on the protagonist's decision - IE, she is not trapped on a bus against her own free will with no means of contacting her parents. It's tense because the protagonist closely dodges a metaphorical bullet, not a literal one - in the end, she is very lucky to have not gone through with her terrible decision. She almost did.

Perhaps the point would be clearer if it were a near suicide attempt? But of course, Pixar couldn't have made that movie, nor should they have. The movie as it stands hits the sweet spot of intimately showing extreme self-destructive behavior in a mundane setting while staying in acceptable-to-market-to-children territory.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The problem with the movie is the central conceit of the movie?

I agree with you that this is a silly stance to take, although it does seem to be the consensus view on Up.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

BigglesSWE posted:

Just watched The Incredibles 2 again, this time with my girlfriend who didn’t care for the first one that much. I have to agree with her sentiment and say that the sequel is much, much better than the first movie. It balances the slow and fast much better and it’s overall very creative and fun.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that The Incredibles 2 is better than the first, but I do think all of the people crowing about how much worse it is than the first (and particularly the people who think Screenslaver is a less interesting or less coherently written villain than Syndrome) are coming from a place of pure nostalgia.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

NO

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

this is inaccurate. Stitch, himself, is popular in Japan. Lilo is probably the single most hated Disney character over there, though. this is why both the Japanese and Chinese adaptations of L&S go out of their way to shuffle Lilo and her family off the stage as fast and as hard as they can.

...wait, why? :confused:

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

LeJackal posted:

Basic marketing principles. Which sucks. All the money and effort could have gone into something original and better.

The government should unironically subsidize the production of original IPs. Just, replace the military with it FFS.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Macaluso posted:

So this came across my suggested videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Pp1UghnYuc

I'm actually kind of shocked that they actually replaced Louis CK. It feels like it's pulling teeth sometimes to get movie studios to recast people that turn out to be lovely

It'd be really nice if they rereleased the first movie with him dubbed over, but I doubt they're going to do it.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Although the Detective Pikachu trailer was very good and dense and made me wish I was more into Pokemon, I've got to admit that the Toy Story 4 teaser certainly raised my expectations, albeit probably because they'd already gotten impossibly low to begin with. At least "a homemade toy created by a child has an existential crisis" is a legitimately interesting direction for Toy Story to go in, reminiscent of Buzz's plot from the original movie without being a retread (which actually puts it a step ahead of the second and third movies, both of which felt the need to retread Buzz's plot for some reason). I didn't think they had anywhere left to go with the concept, but I tentatively consider myself proven wrong.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Gavok posted:

I got to see Ralph Breaks the Internet. I enjoyed it, but I'm a little taken aback by how different it is from the usual formula. It's kind of all over the place and half-baked, but feels unique because of it. Like, without going too in-depth, the movie sets up the stakes and goal early on, only to give us an adventure that's on easy mode. There's little resistance to the heroes, so about 4/5 into the movie, it stops to ask what the film is even supposed to be about and figures itself out from there. The big Act III conflict is built up over the story, but almost comes off as being tacked on.

The final threat at the end is insane, though. Incredibly impressive and would have scared the hell out of me as a kid.

That's significantly more positive than I was expecting, got to admit. Color me intrigued.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
To be honest, I don't really get why people describe Hartman's crowdfunding campaign as a trick? It went on and on about "family values", which is like the loudest dogwhistle imaginable for "right-wing fundie Christian". I really hope that it fails and Hartman never gets to make it, because we don't need any more of that poo poo in the world, especially aimed at kids - but I have a hard time picturing anyone falling for the initial crowdfunding pitch who isn't either incredibly unobservant or just an outright chud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Shadow Hog posted:

...also I liked The Phantom Tollbooth...

I liked the book. :shrug: The movie just seemed like a big wasted opportunity to me though.