Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Toy Story is a series about existential terror, obsolescence, ageing and death. Always liked how Toy Story 2 was described in a forum game as 'An ageing cowboy is given a choice between love and immortality'.

I've always seen Toy Story 3 as basically a tour of various concepts of the afterlife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The intro of TS3 is what being played with is like from a toy's point of view.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Robindaybird posted:

Honestly, it's not that strange, Voltron is very popular in the states, but in Japan as Go Go Lion it's just a run of the mill transforming mecha series nobody remembers. Big O was actually a flop in Japan as well.

And there's something of a trend of American properties being somewhat randomly popular in Japan.

That and an American toy museum probably would have an easier time getting the hang of what was a very popular toy back in the day; a Japanese museum may be more recently expanding to encompass a notable aspect of American culture that has enough former fans old enough to be nostalgic about it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

A Bug's Life has an interesting element in that the inventor is probably the worst possible demonstrator of his own inventions given he's too clumsy to use them properly.

And Hopper is a pretty great villain. "Rule number one of being in charge: everything is your fault." And knowing entirely the moment the ants realise they can just gang up on the grasshoppers, they're turbofucked. It's a great communist movie.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Antz does kind of steal a lot of its thunder with being way more daring in a lot of ways. Ant Seven Samurai vs Ant Starship Troopers.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

ExplodingSims posted:

I mean, they kinda tried, with the sequel anyways. It was supposed to be a show, but they ended up cramming them together to make a movie. I thought that actually worked pretty well, and I'd love to see some more stories about how Atlantean tech or artifacts effected the rest of the world.

And speaking of underwhelming sequels, I watched the Brave Little Toaster sequels the other night for the first time in about 15 years or so. While nowhere near as good or memorable as the original, they are actually pretty decent films. Although, much like anything, the computer stuff they try to put in there is hilariously dated.

Also, something I definitely didn't notice as a kid: Computer titties:

One of those weird cases where they clearly put in the research, they just happened to do so at a time just before the face of computing changed completely and unrecognisably. It's practically a period piece now.

At least the sequel's moral holds up: Always keep a backup!

A little disappointed they didn't have Peach meet a Disney princess or two, though I imagine dealing with Disney and Nintendo's style guides and script doctors at the same time is something no one in their right mind wants to do.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

You'd hope that they'd avoid memes at all costs, given at this point it should be obvious they have a shelf life comparable to bananas.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm very glad this movie is taking exactly zero cues from the bad TV series.

From what I saw of Ninjago, it's pretty much picking up plot-wise where the show left off with Lloyd having gone from the villain's bratty son to joining the heroes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

He is, presumably it picks up after he had a growth spurt giving him the full-sized movable legs.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I don't think I've ever heard many people praising the Arkham games' depiction of Batman compared to pretty much any other Batman media. The gameplay and design is fun, and SOME of the villains are well portrayed (usually when they dial back on the edge and let it be goofy) but the games' main strength is the gameplay and design, and to a lesser extent the world design and the little things. I'll be first to admit that Batman comes off as a power tripping thug in them.

The thing is with games is that people have by necessity gotten used to writing that's hackneyed at best and gets most of its strengths from flat out ripping off other media, because it's extremely rare for games to get dedicated writers at all; at best some dev who writes fanfiction in their spare time will do double duty. And it doesn't help much when you get dedicated writers on board since they're dealing with a medium they don't understand. (reminded of how George Lucas was ultimately a huge weight on LucasArts because he requested changes that may have seemed trivial to him but were cripplingly huge for the developers) It's often independent developers are the only ones who get the chance to write well and integrate the story into the gameplay experience, because they have the time and freedom to do so, compared to the demands of blockbuster game development where structure has to be determined separately from story.

I'm not saying the situation is good, I certainly don't like it, but it's important to say that generally, you shouldn't assume praise for a game is praising all aspects of its story unless specifically said so.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Last I heard, the movie is at least doing mediocre at best.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Phylodox posted:

Helping to get that movie released feels like the opposite of patriotism. Like, no one's coming out of that movie thinking better of Scotland.

Especially the Scottish.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Like that one Deviantart thing with the My Little Pony edited into Schindler's List where some broke-brained nerd actually said 'I understand the Holocaust now'.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Detective No. 27 posted:

Kid cartoons inserted into inappropriate movies would make a great Photoshop thread.

I'm not sure anything can beat Tom and Jerry in The Shining.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'll have you know that Batmen are from Zurr-En-Arr

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Between Emmet and Wyldstyle the role would be pretty redundant.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

If not, Hopper himself sure as hell was.

And Australian biosecurity laws are strict, but well, the film takes place in Australia, and clownfish are Australian animals. Plus the movie kind of is about how capturing wild fish for your tank is a lovely thing to do, though obviously that didn't stop a lot of people. (working saltwater tropical aquariums are the racehorses of aquarium keeping expense and difficulty wise, probably second only to octopi)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I don't think Eight Crazy Nights is animated, but all I've seen of it is an extremely weird musical number where Adam Sandler, presumably drunk off his rear end, has a musical sequence with a bunch of advertising icons telling him to cry and he refuses. It's very well animated and that's about it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Oh, well that figures.

From what I gather it's a fairly typical Adam Sandler waste of time, though at least with the interesting theme of a man having to come to terms with a deep, repressed grief.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Martytoof posted:

I'm going to be honest and say that going back and rewatching the original DuckTales was... disappointing. Definitely one of those shows that's better left remembered. For me, I mean. Others may disagree.

I still have very fond memories of Darkwing Duck and TaleSpin though so I can't decide whether I want to indulge and be disappointed or just remember them fondly.

A lot of the Disney Afternoon stuff was great for its time, but now perhaps best left in memory, especially since the bar's been raised a fair bit; cartoons are allowed to have continuity now, for one.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's all about loud annoying yellow things.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Robindaybird posted:

It's the same reason why John Carter avoided mentioning it's on mars, or that a princess is a very important character: Stupid marketers getting spooked by flops (Mars Needs Moms flopped so they dropped the mars part) and are under the delusion that girls and women don't spend money as much as guys do or that guys will flee at the slightest signs of femininity.

A little ironic given that iirc, most movies that are hits with women and girls (Titanic, Frozen, Wonder Woman) make shitloads of money from huge tails and repeat viewings.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

How'd the Cowboy Bebop movie do? (Cheating a little even so given its version of Mars is basically the new Earth, given the original Earth is uninhabitable thanks to environmental catastrophe)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The_Doctor posted:

If a screening sells no tickets, does a cinema still do the screening? :thunk:

Probably, they've got a schedule to stick to and all. If it's totally empty and not a megaplex theatre they might turn it off early to get some cleaning/maintenance done, perhaps.

(Probably missing a rhetorical question, but)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Shadow Hog posted:

Belated, but given the events of the past few years, I would totally believe some people would do that.

Though at the same time, I don't believe a sizable enough contingent would - after all, Mad Max: Fury Road still did gangbusters despite its mostly-female group of protagonists (Max and Nux being the exceptions), and the aforementioned group raising a huge stink over this fact.

Didn't the whole 'huge stink' turn out to be literally a dozen named people maximum, or something?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I agree with you that Gargoyles holds up, but disagree on why, to an extent

it's a really good supernatural soap opera, but it's also very definitely one for kids. it never tries to hide that or makes any bones about that, and one of its best episodes (possibly the absolute peak of the show) is a straight up Very Special Episode about why you shouldn't gently caress with guns. what makes it still work, revisiting it as a 23-year-old, is that it's a kids show that works at kids' level but never actually talks down to them and trusts their intelligence rather than insulting it. it's almost a predecessor to the... I don't want to say current, but recent crop of kids shows like Avatar: TLA and Adventure Time and Regular Show; it's written for its audience, but it never loses sight of actually being a good show in the name of singlemindedly pursuing its audience. it remembers to actually loving try.

90s animation was basically a process of the industry slowly, painfully realising that kids actually like ongoing stories and serialisation, possibly helped along by those weird Japanimations the kids seem to like even with really crappy translations.

New DuckTales is drawing on its roots heavily but also doing some nearly unprecedented poo poo for the franchise, just starting with giving the triplets actual personalities (which they did in Quack Pack, but not very well) and acknowledging that the rest of the Disney Afternoon exists; Darkwing Duck and even possibly the Talespin crew showing up are practically a given. Apparently everything is fair game except the Rescue Rangers (since there's a movie in the works which may or may not ever get made) and Mickey himself.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The_Doctor posted:

Tailspin might be harder to marry up, being set in the 1930s.

Setting and time have always been weird with the various Duck settings, they've tried to be vague about it but that's very hard to do now with eras very clearly defined by the rapid pace of technological change, unless you just go full on Archer with flaunting the anachronisms.

Would be interesting if they kept with Talespin as a period piece and have it be in the past, visiting a modern Cape Suzette possibly with successors to the original characters, though they still might mess with the timeline then.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think I mentioned before, possibly in this thread, that when movies get popular with women they tend to spread via word of mouth and have huge tails, exactly what's happened with Titanic, Frozen and Wonder Woman.

Marketing departments do not understand this phenomenon at all, probably something to do with them being hyper-focused on appealing almost exclusively to teenage boys.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Presuming they don't release the episodes so far apart that one forgets, regular viewers will probably get the hang of understanding Donald eventually.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I dunno if you remember much Dragon Ball Z, but Bugs Bunny would fit in a hell of a lot better than you might thank. Goku is basically Superman if he was also Homer Simpson.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

See also: The Driving Episode.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

A lot of animes have a tendency to turn into convoluted parodies of themselves as soon as the initial arc runs out of steam.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Emphasis on convoluted, though. Gambits within gambits to a point that makes zero sense if you actually try to map it out, time travel, new antagonists that somehow manage to be super generic and have incredibly complicated origins at the same time, the hero sometimes gaining a completely new and different set of powers and the supporting cast becomes increasingly irrelevant if not outright disappears.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Something something, Light is the criminal justice system that talks a lot but really just gets off on brutalising whoever they can get away with and scaring everyone else into submissive compliance.

Also, doesn't Ryuk tell him that Death Note users tend to meet gruesome fates; not because of any curse or anything, but because they inevitably go power-mad and have to be taken down hard?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Could well be that a lot of these movies follow close enough story and dialogue beats it's really not that hard to mix-and-match.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

IIRC, the Oscars infamously can rarely be arsed to even watch all of the nominees for the animated awards (a category they created after Beauty and the Beast got too much attention) and are likely to just give the award to whatever their kids liked. Student films without marketing budgets don't stand a chance.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Alan Smithee posted:

"And over there is the abandonware"

*dave Chappell runs out of game store with armful of Nintendo games*

I don't know why Dave Chapelle, but I want to see it anyway.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I've read that lions breed so well in captivity that zoos give them contraceptives.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Funny thing is there's exactly one character who looks like an animated human, everyone else is animal people. Well, she is a god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Cockmaster posted:

Yeah, I've been wondering: Do people actually not want 2D animated movies, or are the powers that be just assuming that 2D animation is obsolete because CGI is a thing (and/or because CGI offers the opportunity to sell 3D tickets).

What was the last major 2D animated movie? My Little Pony? I think it might honestly be a bit of both; since the advent of CG most 2D theatrical films I can think of, even the well-regarded ones have been box office disappointments to bombs, even the well-marketed and overly ambitious ones, but it doesn't help that Disney took a different marketing and thematic tack with the CGI movies like Tangled and Frozen.

Maybe it also doesn't help that most successful adult-oriented cartoons are seen as South Park style; low budget, deliberately crude and/or simple animation and focusing on adult humour and themes (to more or less extents) while CGI is probably perceived as having higher production values and effort. (regardless of the truth that both are pretty expensive and difficult) In short, people have low expectations of 2D animated theatrical movies, which have mostly been met in recent history.