Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pokemon
Dec 1, 2017

by Smythe

Yoshi Jjang posted:

You're probably thinking about his review on Delgo.
oh lol

i aspire to a delgo level of achievement in my life tbh. like who cares if the guy lost a poo poo tonne of money and became an international laughing stock. he made a
whole movie! people saw it! it was in cinemas! kids have weird taste and you never know what will resonate with someone to the point of lifelong obsession, that's what deviantart is all about. i guarantee you there was at least one kid in the world who sincerely loved delgo (and oogieloves, and maybe even bee movie) and it has probably shaped their life in a very strange but not necessarily negative way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokemon
Dec 1, 2017

by Smythe
this is amazing

quote:

The next thing that occurred was an unusually ugly negotiation between my agent and the gent in charge of Business Affairs for Hanna-Barbera. The latter took the position that this was not a pilot; that it was just another episode of Scooby Doo, so it should pay the same mediocre fee as all other episodes. My agent took the position that this was a pilot because (a) it was introducing a new character and something of a new format and (b) the network would or would not order episodes based on my script. I would also be going through several weeks of network meetings and extra rewrites, something that did not usually transpire on your average episode. Therefore, he concluded, it was a pilot and better pay was appropriate.

The Biz Guy said no.

My agent said, "In that case, Mark isn't doing it."

The Biz Guy said fine, Mark isn't doing it…or anything else for the studio, ever again.

This was followed by the sound effect of the phone being slammed down. Then the Business Affairs guy called me at home and informed me that my days of writing for Hanna-Barbera were over. In fact, I should not bother trying to set foot in the studio again as I would be turned away. I pointed out to him that Scooby or no Scooby, I was still the editor of their comic book division. He said, "We'll see about that" and hung up.

Sure enough, I was banned from the studio for a good eighteen minutes, which is how long it was before Mr. Barbera phoned. He instructed me to — and I will clean up his language here a tad — "pay no attention to that drat idiot in Business Affairs." Before the sun set that evening, I had a deal to write the script that would introduce Scrappy Doo.

pokemon
Dec 1, 2017

by Smythe

quote:

A week or so later, I was in the Hanna-Barbera Xerox Room and I happened to see my script being mass-copied for distribution. I peeked to see if any rewrites had been done since it had left me and there didn't seem to be any. In fact, the script hadn't even been retyped. They were copying the printout I'd handed in, the one from my word processor.

But someone had typed a new title page and instead of saying, "Written by Mark Evanier," it now had my name plus that of another writer in the studio. In fact, the other writer was the son of an executive at the Hanna-Barbera studio.

Three minutes later, title page in hand, I barged into the office of that executive and you can pretty much imagine what I said. He explained that his son had been among the many writers who'd worked on Scrappy Doo before I'd been hired. He felt his son deserved some credit for all the hours he'd put in on the project.

pokemon
Dec 1, 2017

by Smythe

quote:

There finally came a day when no more revisions could be done to my script, the one that introduced Scrappy Doo. The show was behind schedule and production had to accelerate or they wouldn't make air dates. (That was not an unusual situation, by the way. During my days at Hanna-Barbera — and I gather this was constant — every show was always behind schedule. If a producer or story editor might verge on getting ahead of schedule, Bill Hanna would immediately adjust the schedule to put them behind. There was an ongoing fear that if a show wasn't behind schedule, someone might not work as rapidly as possible.)
just reading this article puts me in a nervous sweat

pokemon
Dec 1, 2017

by Smythe
this is the most enthralling thing i've seen in years

pokemon
Dec 1, 2017

by Smythe

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I have one friend who has been posting about it on FB but only because he's in a hairless dog owners club and the film features a Xolo pretty prominently. The club is having a special screening as a fundraiser or something, someone's even bringing along a real life Xolo! It's in an outdoors theatre so they're encouraging people to bring their dogs and they'll be selling doggie treats at the concession stand.

That'll be in late late December, I don't think the film has actually opened in Australia yet?
i have never owned a hairless dog but i suddenly want to join the hairless dog owners club

my dog has a hairless tail, does that count?

pokemon
Dec 1, 2017

by Smythe

Guy Mann posted:

According to Watership Down rabbits can abort at will and doing so is an important part of keeping their burrows from becoming overcrowded. A superior lapine contraceptive tale imho.
rabbits do actually do this! so do a lot of other animals - it's an invisible issue plaguing conservation right now, because most of them haven't been studied yet so we have no idea if their birthrate is dropping because of external forces (like poisoning, low fertility, etc) or if the breeding adults are so stressed that they're miscarrying deliberately. which obviously means we don't know what to do about it.

speaking of which, where the gently caress are all the conservation-themed cartoons nowadays? i was talking to some people my age irl about it and we agreed that we wouldn't be where we were today without watership down, farthing wood, fern gully (lol, but it made more of an impact than you'd think) and there were some others that i vividly remember but can't name, mostly british. nowadays there's nothing. plenty of animals, but certainly no eco message. is it just that those types of movies don't get funding anymore, or get executive pressure even if they manage to be greenlit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokemon
Dec 1, 2017

by Smythe
i have this mental image from my early childhood of a sett full of cartoon badgers getting asphyxiated on-screen and i don't know if it was a movie or a fever dream