Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Do Donald and Mickey etc come before or after Robin Hood?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

I just watched Rango again, and while the first 2 acts are great, the third act once he gets kicked out of town is absolutely amazing.

Great movie

starkebn
May 18, 2004

it's not fair to consider avshalom posts when looking at "greatest of the thread" lists

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Probably because I watched the sub first, and also because I'm not American, but I loathe the dub on Cowboy Bebop. I can't stand more than 10 seconds of it because I like CB so much and the dub destroys the characterisation in the Japanese voice track.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

While I wouldn't call it good, Monsters vs Aliens is very watchable and fun

starkebn
May 18, 2004

that looks like the same art team as Avatar, am I right?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

From what I heard, Disney marketing legitimately thought that Kylo Ren would be the breakout character like Vader before him.

they probably fabricated more Gonk droids than Rey toys (I doubt it) because of their backwards thinking

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Shadow Hog posted:

EDIT: Off-topic a bit, but did Blockbuster Video (the subforum, not the store) vanish? Wasn't aware it was doing that badly.

It got moved to the main list

starkebn
May 18, 2004

um, so being naive I thought the new BotB might have been a retelling of the story or something but it looks like a purely "I KNOW WHAT THAT IS! YOU KEEP HITTING HOME RUNS DISNEY!" movie. An almost shot for shot remake basically, pathetic.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

apart from Rowan Atkinson not singing I don't get the hate for morning report :shrug:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Macaluso posted:

It's a bad song and it ruins the scene

But how? I think it's kind of catchy

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Das Boo posted:

I would just like to leave this Samurai Jack trailer here because it's concept art animated. :syoon:

Uh, that's not concept art, that's just Samurai Jack

Looking excellent

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Watched "The Tale of the Princess Kaguya" last night, wow, the Japanese really know how to use animation to tell more than just pointless kids crap or comedies. Art style was beautiful and the story was told in a calm, sorrowful way. Loved it.

Watched "Moana" today at the theater (Australia :argh:) and my 3 boys and I loved it. Thought the sequence with the coconut wearing creatures was a bit 'why is this here'? but otherwise fun. "You're Welcome" and "Shiny" the standout songs, Grandma the standout character imo. I found it amusing nearly all of the B characters were played by New Zealanders.

starkebn fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Feb 12, 2017

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Oh and watched "Storks" the night before Kaguya, I found some of the jokes amusing but it was really just a crazy bunch of plot ideas mashed together for the sake of having something there. Don't regret watching it but didn't think much of it.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Vegetable posted:

Three animation nights in a row, take it easy pal

Well, the family just watched "Trolls". Not seeing the great movie you've all been going on about. Mediocre bullshit pop-culture from beginning to end.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Pick posted:

I still resent Moana for not having a distinct visual style.

I hope you weren't one of the people in this thread saying they didn't like the animation during You're Welcome. And how about the Shiny sequence?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

I guess I'm unsophisticated and watch each movie on it's own merits. I'd rather not bother looking at the last few movies and get disappointed they haven't changed enough.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Das Boo posted:

I'm not really disappointed, I just really admire when animation can create something thoroughly unique. My all time favorite animated sequence is the creation story segment in Watership Down. :allears:
It's just if and when it happens, I'm super jazzed about it.

I really like "The Book of Kells" and "The Song of the Sea" or "The Tale of the Princess Kaguya" for this reason. Expecting Disney to go off-brand though is probably a false hope.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Pick posted:

Well, I think they can still be on-brand and play with things outside the main cast; for example, their John Henry is as standard as it comes in terms of character design for them, but the aesthetic approach as a whole reads as very unique due to tricks of perspective and retaining organic linework.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lmP6e6kbmg

yeah, cool, I agree. But you can't expect Disney of all companies to go off the beaten path for their blockbuster movies.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

there has to be some other "foreign" mythology or legend they can butcher for a 2D film right?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

mycot posted:

Aren't half of the 2D Disney films German fairy tales? I'm not sure what brought this on unless you really hated Mulan/Hercules/Aladdin.

I enjoy most of the main Disney movies, but the stories are notorious for ripping the barest ideas of a foreign tale and "adapting" them. Whether you think that is a bad thing or not is up to you, like I said I think most of the movies are pretty fun to watch.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

this is her old trainer who dies before her fight for the title

starkebn
May 18, 2004

how did that mashup ever even become a thought in someone's head?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Pixar's All of the bigger animation studio's adherence to screensaver-esque visual realism gets in the way of overt whimsy.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Pick posted:

Thank you, one of my only straight-up issues with Tamatoa's design, that I think extends a little beyond "preference", is that his being shiny seems like a very good move on his part. He doesn't seem to be affected in any negative way by his decor. In fact, it helps him catch fish easily, and it makes him look super appealing and awesome. He "shouldn't be murderous", but since he is a monster in the land of monsters, it seems probable that he might have been anyway? (monster crab racism) So the question is: why not be greedy? The only very, very tenuously implied downside is it negatively affecting his relationship with Maui (see tumblr for details).

So really, is there any negative effect as such for Tamatoa shiny-ing himself? Based on his design, not at all really :shrug:

I like your design, but I'm not sure why you think there needs to be a downside, just because?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Dramatic satisfaction.

His greed is what let's Moana and Maui escape when he chases the ultimate shiny thing. The Shiny things aren't the flaw they're the symptom of the flaw.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Magic Hate Ball posted:

That's loving boring.

I find it boring if every character that opposes the protagonists has to have something wrong with them that fucks them over.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

I've had 4 or so songs from Moana on loop in my head since I saw the damned movie.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Mierenneuker posted:

You're Welcome
Shiny
How Far I Will Go
We Know The Way

and Logo Te Pate

those Samoan language songs are my jam

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Fox and the Hound has my favourite piece of animation in it out of anything else I've seen. The part after the bear fight, when the hunter is going to shoot Tod but Copper steps in front of him, gives me chills. The subtlety of expression on those three characters for that short scene is sublime.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Inside Out doesn't help kids deal with poo poo. It's for moms who, like the protagonist, weep while digging through old baby photos: "she used to be so innocent!"

Still a fun and cool movie

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Pixar: "What if we made a movie where a person's emotions were anthropomorphised characters in their head?"

some viewers: "It doesn't work like that! bleuuurgh!"

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Looks like an episode of "Fireman Sam"

starkebn
May 18, 2004

FirstAidKite posted:

It doesn't seem like they're doing anything majorly different with it :shrug: I'd be interested if they were trying to shake things up in how they handle the story.

:yeah:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

don't kink shame scaleys guys

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Hedrigall posted:

That's a dumb statement. There are many excellent ones with songs written by exceedingly talented people. Then there is Frozen with its songs about eating each other's sandwiches

Moana is half full of "dialogue as a song" dude

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Hedrigall posted:

:yeah:

Aaaaaand?

It's all full of good songs that explore and reveal more about the characters

I like Moana, but you're levelling an accusation at Frozen that it should be more than that.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

PSA: the Minions aren't that bad, you might be overexposed to lovely memes though

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Hmm, neither has a bow on it's head so I'm torn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Flaccid Trip posted:

First day at my new job at a small eldercare facility. The residents like to have movies on during non-mealtimes.

I had to sit through Chicken Little AND Bee Movie.

the staff are trying to clear a few beds by killing off the current residents as quickly as possible