Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Drifter posted:

Has there been an animated movie where the woman has been beastified and has to be fallen in love with, like not just turned into a bear like in Brave, or was poor like in Cinderella?

Shrek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Shadow Hog posted:

Space Jam is canon to Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden, though, so if Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden is canon (as we know it is, since it warns you of as much when you start), it follows that Space Jam itself is also canon.

The canonical Space Jam, which is often referred to in academia as Space Jam (pronounced "Space Jam Prime) or the Ur Space Jam, is only known to exist from ancient manuscripts that refer to it and the few fragments that have been discovered with the recession of the dead sea waters.

So while there is (or at least, was) a canonical Space Jam, we sadly no longer have access to the text.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Lots of these movies could be well-served by live action if it were a conscious attempt to exploit the freakishness of talking animals and poke fun at the insidious "naturalism" of Disney's world, but that movie probably isn't going to come from Disney.

Once again, the movie being described here is Shrek.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mecha Gojira posted:

A ReBoot series from the perspective of the uncaring User who mercilessly wipes out dozens of Sprites a day.

Dot looks on helpless as Bob is trapped in a swimming pool with the ladder removed.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Das Boo posted:

I know what day it is, but lesbian Simba would be better since it wouldn't require them removing essentially the only girl in the movie. (Sarabi has what, four lines?)

I have real mixed thoughts about this for this very reason. While a greater inclusion of non-hetero characters is certainly good, all things being equal, I have the suspicion that Disney made this without giving greater thought to how it effects the work as a whole or what message it sends. In this case, making Simba gay would seem to come at the expense of Nala's already small purpose in the storyline, suggesting some sort of intrinsic net minority count.

This is all assuming the new movie sticks as closely to the old as the live action BatB stuck to the animated original.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I need to get a good look at an animated creature's ankle before I can be satisfied that it is an actual dinosaur and not merely a large reptile.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Waffleman_ posted:

Like I know birds are basically dinosaurs, but I thought that was a weird evolution thing.

That's mostly unrelated. Dinosaurs genuinely have several differences from reptiles.

I joked about ankles, but what's actually the most visible difference is that dinosaurs have legs beneath their bodies (which you see with mammals, such as cows, dogs, etc) while reptiles have legs besides their bodies (see: turtles, crocodiles, lizards, all non-snake reptiles).

:eng101:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Scales are basically feathers, and you don't have to look much farther than flying fish to recognize this.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

plz dont pull out posted:

Dinosaurs (which birds are nested within) are archosaurian reptiles along with crocodilians. While they have a bunch of derived characters that distinguish them from other groups of reptiles like lepidosaurs (lizards) and turtles, they're still nested within that grouping.

While that is all factual, having the categories be that broad is not necessarily useful.

Dinosaurs (and birds, and mammals) have notable differences from reptiles that make such a distinction informative. Conflating them together is rarely helpful.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The_Doctor posted:

You can't remove their clothes, Hedrigall.

Listen: you can do anything you set your mind to.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I will always have a soft spot for the Pagemaster because my folks let me skip class in second grade so I could watch it with my best friend, who's parents let her skip class so she could watch it with me.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Samuel Clemens posted:

I was initially lukewarm on Wizards, but the more I think about it, the more I like it. That finale is just so drat perfect.

If there was ever an example of a climax elevating the whole story, it's that.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Shadow Hog posted:

My favorite thing was the video of the edit that one guy did to make the film end at the furnace scene and depress the poo poo out of some youngsters.

I think it was his mother, and yes the whole story is amazing.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

wdarkk posted:

Elsa's nobility plots against her in secret, she must determine who her real friends and enemies are.

Or just replace everyone with perfectly loyal snowcreatures.

Can I take a moment to say that I really felt pity for the giant snow golem Elsa creates to chase her sister away?

It was a thinking, living thing that was imbued with a purpose it died in an attempt to fulfill. It was basically a brother to Olaf.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

dirksteadfast posted:

Calling it right now, Frozen 2 will be about Elsa finding out she's not actually Anna's sister. The movie will be about her finding her true parents, and in the end she will learn the lesson that Anna is her true family because of love. And then we all vomit and Disney makes all the money.

That... that actually could be good.

It'd also make Anna queen and therefore be a movie without princesses.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Cockmaster posted:

That was almost me, but somehow I managed to finish Kingom Hearts 2. Two and a half hours of vapid dialogue, thoroughly forgettable characters, gratuitous fetch quests, and mindless minigames before you get to any gameplay recognizable as a Kingdom Hearts game. Who the gently caress thought that was a good idea?

Kingdom Hearts is squarely and expertly aimed at the 13-year-old demographic.

This isn't to claim that it's good, but there are very real reasons why Square-Enix and Disney thought it was a good idea.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Cockmaster posted:

It's kinda bad form in general to assume that players have played any of the previous games in a given series, let alone games spanning multiple systems. Especially if your target demographic isn't exactly swimming in disposable income - any 13 year old who isn't the very model of a spoiled rich kid is unlikely to own all that hardware.

I think that might be the point. The reason for all the spin offs and side stories is that those games are largely unconnected from the games that come before them and from the games that follow--playing all the previous games isn't necessary for them, and playing them isn't necessary for playing later games. The whole conceit of all that those games being ostensibly necessary for the understanding the full franchise is largely marketing.

The plot of Kingdom Hearts 1 is continued in 2 and then into 3D. You don't really need the other 50 games, unless you want to play them.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Now that you've seen Oliver and Company, it's finally time to watch the Aristocats.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

dirksteadfast posted:

I like to believe that Tolkien's hard stance against allegories was just a giant middle finger directed squarely at Lewis and not based off anything else.

I'd believe it, given the incredible descriptiveness with which Tolkien describes various meals, and which the reader does not get to eat.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Disney sucks but holy poo poo their reasoning is so bad I'm almost tempted to go over to the other side just out of spite.

What do you disagree with? Their reasoning basically breaks down to, "Disney is removing all the nuance from these traditional stories to better market them," which seems pretty uncontroversial.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

God the original sleeping beauty is such an awful mess. Not only does the prince rape and impregnate sleeping beauty instead of kissing her, when she wakes up it turns out the prince is actually a king because he's already married. The queen gets jealous of the kings rape victim and her babies and tries to have them killed, but she fucks it up and the king ends up killing the queen instead. So, now that the kings gross old wife is dead he's free to marry his hot rape victim.

Imagine being familiar with that story before every watching the Disney film, and then watching the film and seeing that the rapist King is now unambiguously good?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Drifter posted:

I think it's fair to say that the king in the movie isn't the same as the king in the story.

That's kind of the point. The person who kisses the evidently dead woman is now good.

That's more than a little concerning even before you know the historical role of the character.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Villainous Balto dog's rolling it's eyes before baring it's teeth is real good.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

you're literally thirty or something and still telling yourself the "I'm brilliant, just too lazy to be accomplished" story

It is my experience that it is entirely possible to do that in high school, at least in the Ohio public school district I attended.

In my case, depression and anxiety issues began to heavily interfere with my academics (so it's less I chose not to do the work and more I couldn't do it), but I still passed most of my courses (barely) because tests counted for such a large percentage of my grade.

It's kind of weird reading everyone's school experiences, because over a five year period I went from straight A teacher's pet, to being derided by my teachers for being "brilliant but lazy" (which was a significant source of depression for a long while: if I was so brilliant then why couldn't I do the work?), to drat nearly dropping out.

Robindaybird posted:

It's way more common than you think. I went to a high school that graded exams and the loving State assessment test so heavily that just passing those will get you a C or C+ grade, which isn't great but enough to let you graduate.

Oh, poo poo, I forgot about State Assessment Tests. My school advisor was legitimately distressed by the discrepancy between my high grades on the Proficiency Tests compared to my actual school grades.

Ohio had a thing where public schools got more compensation from the state based on how well the average student scored on those tests, and apparently my district was trying very hard to find some correlation between the classes and teachers students had and how well they scored on their Proficiency Tests. The handful of students who did well on the tests but poorly in class completely hosed up their calculations.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 1, 2017

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The little ruler makes it look like a police line up.

"Ma'am, do any of these wonderful, magical ponies resemble the colt that shot your husband?"

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
It's news to me that it was ever released in theaters. I remember a decently strong marketing campaign, but for the VHS.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Fox and the Hound was the one movie that made me break down crying as a kid.

I think it had my mother legitimately concerned.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

K. Waste posted:

This has reminded me that ever since that NFBC animation marathon on TCM, it really disappoints me that all of the "Cars takes place after a human apocalypse" chat never leads to anyone posting the magnificent What On Earth! (1966), so let's fix that, now https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFaHArkYLsM

That's a fantastic video.

It's interesting how long the concept of "living cars" (and anatomical speculation of them) has been around. From a distance, cars really can seem to move under their own device. The fact that they don't is almost incongruous.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

K. Waste posted:

Lo & Behold very briefly touches upon the subject of whether or not the first machines to develop full artificial intelligence will be motor-vehicles, specifically because they will not only demonstrate the most autonomy, but require the most rigorous ethical programming (deciding, in cases of unavoidable property damage or casualty, what is the 'lesser of two evils,' etc.).

The thing that's cool about What on Earth! is that the implicit epilogue is that the inevitable Martian 'colonization' of Earth will basically be a perverse fusion of H. G. Wells's classic The War of the Worlds narrative and contemporary post-colonial propaganda, with the Martians leading the 'liberation' of the Earthlings from the parasitics humans. The meme Drifter posted pretty much spells out how the apocalyptic interpretation of Cars/Planes actually could make total sense, but instead of nuclear war or some poo poo, the interstitial period is something more like Prometheus. (This would also explain why even loving tractors are, like, no 'intelligent beings,' but loving cows. All life is just casually and non-confrontationally assimilated into by the xenomorphs.)

It really reminded me of an observation I read in the Transformers thread where someone (hell, it might have been you) pointed out that when the alien transformers came to Earth, they scanned Earth media and identified luxury cars as the highest social strata.

There's a fear, not only of machines eventually becoming more valuable than human lives, but of not recognizing it when it happens.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Das Boo posted:

All of you need to watch Over the Garden Wall. And YOU.

Watching it has become a Thanksgiving ritual with my family.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Since when can Nick afford to sleep in a bed?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
It's not enough for it to merely die--if catharsis is to take place, it must be killed.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

This is an incredibly charming moment.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

2009 was an age ago. Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Reddit and youtube were still fairly new, Instagram was still 3 years away, the most popular memes were Xzibit and Ceiling Cat, the rage comics and advice animals memes had only just been invented, Bronies didn't exist yet and Furries were still frowned on by almost everyone.

If Pandora Fever had struck with the internet we have today I think it would have had a much wider and longer lasting pop culture footprint

I'm not quite convinced. I don't think the film Avatar was would have benefited from how the internet has changed. Facebook, Reddit and all might have been new, but they existed, and other places to discuss films existed before then. It's not that the film isn't still being discussed the way other properties are because the internet failed it--the fact that other properties are being discussed is proof enough of that.

It's not like fan artists didn't exist before Tumblr, or that fan communities didn't exist before Reddit.

I think it's ultimately that the film was just doesn't really have a lot to discuss, and that wouldn't change just because the internet has.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
There is no lack of escapist fantasy worlds were you can find love and be accepted but also be a cat.

You don't have to settle for the one without toilets.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Guy Mann posted:

Avatar didn't have a huge protracted fandom because James Cameron had enough control and integrity to not conspicuously have the movie as a launchpad for a sequel factory and license the everloving poo poo out of it and keep an Extended Universe going after the movie had come and gone, it seems silly to hold that against it.

There are four planned Avatar sequels.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
He's even got the Cheeto's brand guitar.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Hedrigall posted:

I haven't seen Totoro either :ohdear:

The only Ghibli and/or Miyazaki films I've seen are Spirited, Howl's, Mononoke, Arrietty, and Cagliostro.

Watch The Cat Returns.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Robindaybird posted:

Just, well the mangaka is a right wing nutter even by the standards of Japanese right-wing nutters and that comes into full play in later chapters, and lot of the reveals on the Titans nature is just really loving dumb. So consider that if you are unsure if you want to invest the time into it.

Has there been any actual evidence of this? Like, at all?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

ungulateman posted:

It's pretty much the anime equivalent of Starship Troopers, in terms of 'the world is constructed such that fascist ideology is correct'. I don't know if the dude is legitimately sincere about it or if he's making a point like Verhoeven was, since I haven't watched all that much of it, but it's kinda uncomfortable.

It's true that, a lot of powerful people and the government are fascist, but a large part of the story is challenging that ideology.

That's why I'm curious if there is any evidence if Hajime Isayama (the mangaka) is a "right-wing nutter." I've heard a lot of people claim that he is, but when pressed it usually comes down to, "he wrote Attack on Titan, he must be a nutter!" Without spoiling anything, recent developments in the series make that much more questionable.

If he's actually said what his political viewpoints somewhere I'd be interested in hearing them.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 01:32 on May 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Hedrigall posted:

This thread is getting anime af

Martytoof posted:

Don't worry, we'll be back to posting big cats soon enough, I predict.

we can have it both ways WATCH THE CAT RETURNS