Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Well, I'll say this for Moana, I saw it and Rogue One this weekend and Moana definitely had the less unsettling CG Disney princess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Aces High posted:

yesterday I was visiting a friend and I saw she had Belle's Enchanted Christmas and I said "did you get this in a gift exchange or something? Why do you own this?" and she said "uh because it's a great movie :colbert: you know it has Tim Curry in it"

Long story short she thinks it's great and to me Tim Curry is the only good part and that's not saying a whole lot, the pipe organ ain't no Hexus

I had that movie. It's the only time I ever won a radio call-in contest. Got it and the soundtrack. Pretty sure I still have the soundtrack CD, but I haven't listened to it in...god, probably close to twenty years.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Drifter posted:

I still remain absolutely shocked by how enjoyable Trolls turned out to be.

I watched Trolls, Sausage Party, and Kubo in one weekend. The tonal/thematic whiplash was intense, but I was truly flabbergasted that Trolls seemed to come out of it on top. Probably due to lowered expectations and favourably comparing to Sausage Party, but still...

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I couldn't even make it through the first episode of Trollhunters. The characters just felt so rote. The gym teacher who picks on the fat kid, the bully who stuffs nerds in lockers, everything just felt so paint-by-numbers. Does it do anything interesting to subvert those boring old tropes, or is it just more of the same all the way through? I might give it another chance if I knew it was going anywhere interesting.

I think Billy da Bull is a great visual filmmaker, but I've always found his writing, especially dialogue, to be kind of flat and stilted. Maybe that's only in his English stuff, 'cause of the language barrier?

Also, hearing Anton Yelchin's voice makes me sad. :(

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

teagone posted:

Steve the bully and the gym teacher are really just scenery. You can't expect those kind of characters — mainly present for comedic beats — to subvert their existence much.

I dunno, I've been watching Gravity Falls and Steven Universe lately, so that's pretty much exactly what I have come to expect.

The bar's been set. Nothin' I can do about that.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Stephen Universe annoyed me when I tried to watch it (quite some time ago) but I watched it right on the heels of Adventure Time and expected something similar, which it really isn't, so I may not have given it the chance it deserved.

Steven Universe annoyed me at first, too. Steven's too much of a naive half-wit who constantly fucks up, and none of the other characters ever seem remotely inclined to call him on any of his dumb poo poo. They coddle him and pat him on the head for loving up constantly.

Turns out, that's not unintentional and is actually referred back to later. Most of what I found annoying turned out to be set-up for character development later on, come to think of it.

The only downside I can think of is that Steven Universe really, really wears its metaphors on its sleeve, and plays really heavily towards the shipping/fanfiction demographic.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I've never seen Steven Universe but Steven Universe fans have left me willing to chew off a limb to escape ever having to

If I paid attention to fans, I'd never watch anything.

Ever.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Magnus Condomus posted:

Del Toro is on record as stating that the main character was meant to be a Good Boy like in the old adventure shows, with no dark past or darkness in him, because he was tired of seeing that all the time in main characters these days. I'm not sure it was the correct decision, but there it is.

But is the main character interesting? The aforementioned Steven Universe has a lead character who is, like, painfully Good and Kind and Earnest, but he's not boring because of it. Gravity Falls, too, has decidedly Nice protagonists. Admittedly, I only made it through part of the first episode of Trollhunters, but what I did see bored me to tears.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
It's like they made an action figure of Denise Crosby's creepy sister from Pet Sematary.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

ConfusedUs posted:

Wait, what? Storks was actually good?

Like Trolls, it seems a lot better due to lowered expectations. It's an inconsequential, fluffy little movie.

The only problem I had with it was, at the end, all the letters from the past 18 years or so get converted into babies and then get delivered. Which means that some people who wrote a letter asking for a baby, like, almost two decades ago suddenly find themselves with a newborn. That's got to be kind of awkward.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

starkebn posted:

that looks like the same art team as Avatar, am I right?

I know a lot of the same people are involved. The writing is very Avatar-esque, too.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Its very important to clarify the writing is like the Last Airbender, and is not like Legend of Korra.

Except that Hunk is 100% Bolin.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

nerdman42 posted:

Voltron is one of those shows that has the potential to become really good but hasn't quite gotten there yet and its hard to tell if it will ever reach that point. So right now its good but not great.

It seems to me like they're in this for the long haul. Their pacing is really, really slow. The first season was pretty much just establishing the show's premise, with a little bit of world building. The second season was about expanding the show's scope and showing a bit more of what's going on in the universe at large, as well as exploring the relationship between the paladins and their lions. I can appreciate that they're taking their time, but it does kind of make the show seem a bit aimless. There's no clearly established stakes. It's just kind of "bad guys doing generic bad things on some isolated planets". By this point in Avatar, we had already established the heroes, the bad guys, the world they lived in and their relation to it, and an imminent crisis that meant a definite timeline for the story. Meanwhile, two seasons in and it feels like we're still in the first act of the Voltron story.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Moana's message was 'change is decay, tradition is salvation'. It's fairly emphatic with it, I just get the feeling people expect that kind of golden-age reactionary message to look like Leave it to Beaver so much it doesn't quite compute when covered in brown skin.

and :agreed:

Well, except that, in Moana's case "change" meant isolation and stagnation, ignoring the larger problems that lay ahead in favour of a comfortable life now. "Tradition" meant actually facing your problems and trying to resolve them, even if they seem insurmountable.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

That doesn't contradict his point at all. Obviously Moana presents a return to the mythic past (e: and the humbled abdication of man's mastery over nature, for that matter) as a good thing, but that's the essence of his criticism in the first place.

I read it as Moana's tribe retreating from change and choosing stagnation and decay over facing a challenging world. And I don't see how it represents an abdication of man's mastery over nature, since part of the movie involved mastering nature through travel. It involved showing respect for nature, yeah. There's probably a thinly veiled metaphor for climate change denial in there.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Or put another way, a story about a guy who lassos the sun so people don't have to work themselves to death every day, pulls islands out of the sea, and stops the sky from crushing humanity implies a very different understanding of the world than one in which the ocean is your friend and messing with the natural order dooms your island.

I read it as a story about balance. Struggling against adversity and nature, but never forgetting to work in harmony with it. Pulling islands from the sea is one thing, but trying to play god (instead of demi-god) and wield power over life itself is a step too far. It's a metaphor for the human struggle, trying to create a place for ourselves in the world without taking it too far and destroying nature in the process. I mean...in this day and age, I'm never gonna throw shade on a story that's trying to preach working in harmony with nature.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's all playing god, man. I think you're on to something but I also think that it's very important to distinguish between the superstitious fallacy of "going too far" on one hand and misusing what you've already obtained on the other. Domesticating animals is ultimately just as unnatural and transgressive as letting your domesticated animals overgraze, but it's the latter you have to watch out for.

I don't think it's all playing god. Not really. Domesticating animals is just a form of symbiosis. Moana draws a line between struggling against natural adversity and destroying nature. Maui pushing back against the sky and pulling against the sun are one thing, that's asserting yourself within your environment, but carving out nature's heart and unleashing a wave of death and decay is clearly a destructive act. It's like the difference between building a log cabin and paving over a forest to build condos. I'm not saying the real world is that cut and dry, but the film is a metaphor, so it makes a clear delineation.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Hedrigall posted:

thats a good pant job

But snakes don't wear pants! :confused:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Magic Hate Ball posted:

excuse yourself

That is clearly either a scarf or leg warmers.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

ThermoPhysical posted:

Moana, however, did a LOT better. Except people thought that Maui was made fat to appeal to a wider audience. Except, if you know anatomy, he's not. He's just really muscular and barrel-chested.

To be fair, I think Maui was the first Disney cartoon character to look less like a hyperbolic caricature of an idealized human being than the actor playing them.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Pick posted:

I would have thought this entire film justified, even if it had sucked, by the existence of that incredibly good True Colors cover.

Yeah, I went into this movie thinking "Well, if nothing else I'll get to hear a version of True Colors" which is always awesome, but the delivery and how they actually made it fit into the movie elevated it beyond just a good cover of an awesome song. I especially liked how they incorporated Branch confessing his love for Poppy into it without having to change the lyrics.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

The game is ooookay (my goddaughters love it) but the figures are rather nice.

I've never played the game and I never will and I still own a Groot and a Chewbacca. The figures are loving gorgeous and when Wal-Mart finally gloms that the game is discontinued and lowers the prices, I'll probably buy more.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Unmature posted:

That was the Wonder Twins' dog.

The Wonder Twins had an alien monkey named Gleek, didn't they?

Like, I know what you're talking about, but I don't remember who they were, just that they weren't the Wonder Twins.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

ImpAtom posted:

Correct. There is a Wonder Dog but he belonged to Marvin and Wendy, not the Wonder Twins

And that, Wonder Twins, is why branding matters. They should have learned from Batman.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
That's just sloppy branding.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I think it might be because unique character designs and squash and stretch animation could be a bit more of a minefield in CG than in traditional animation. I'm not sure if stylization, like Hercules' cinnamon-bun ears, would translate as well. So you either have to make your characters even more quirky and idiosyncratic in appearance or hew as close to traditional human attractiveness as you can. Disney wants to keep their princesses photogenic and pretty, so that dictates the aesthetic.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Does Disney already have any mixed race princesses? If not, I think Punched should feature the first!

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

mycot posted:

I know opinions on the Moana songs vary, but everytime this is posted Shiny starts playing in my head and that's got to count for something.

Only if it's sung by Jerry Seinfeld.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Das Boo posted:

I still wish More had made the cut over How Far I'll Go. Particularly that reprise.

I get why it didn't. It sounds a bit too similar to Under the Sea, I think.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I seriously need to know if Goofy is taking anti depressants.

I just watched the whole damned thing.

No. Goofy is not taking anti-depressants.

It is good to see him moving on from his dead wife, though.

Also, Max is kind of a shithead in this movie. Although, Goofy is pretty ridiculously co-dependent.

Also also...why is everyone in this movie a dog but this guy?

What's a bear doing there?

Plus what's with the weird ESPN/ESPN2 cross-promotion going on in this movie?

And there's a recurring number sequence, 4351700, that keeps popping up. It was driving me crazy, so I looked it up. Apparently it's the copyright code for Goofy's disco outfit appearance.

Oh, and remember when Pauly Shore was a thing? The 90s were a weird time.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Having just watched it this morning, like, 90% of An Extremely Goofy Movie's appeal lies in the chagrined nostalgia you feel for having lived through that specific time period. Exponentially so if you were of an age with Max.

I miss back when everything was X-TREME TO THE MAX, BROS!!! But, y'know, not really?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
They say it's been ten years in Be Our Guest.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I feel like I love what Titan A.E. wanted to be? Like...an animated pastiche of Star Wars and The Fifth Element and Raiders of the Lost Ark etc. etc. etc. would be amazing. Basically Mass Effect as an animated movie. But I remember it being a bit too meandering, and the alien characters (aside from the drej) were a bit too goofy and over-animated. The human character designs were great, though.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Fangz posted:

Two white all-american action heroes and Anime Girl?

I didn't say diverse, did I? But they each had a unique silhouette and distinct, memorable features that helped reinforce their characters. They were good looking characters.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

This is some kind of prank, right? It has to be.

I can't wait to hear SMG's explanation of why this is a subversive masterpiece.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Given that they said LeFou gets his own happily-ever-after ending, I'm just assuming that the extra forty minutes are Belle, the Beast, and all of the servants planning and then throwing an extravagant wedding for LeFou and Gaston*.

*In this version, instead of falling from the tower and dying, Gaston falls...in love!

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Beauty and the Beast will always be my favourite animated film soundtrack, but that's hardly fair, since it was a) the first animated film soundtrack I ever owned or listened to, b) the first soundtrack I ever owned or listened to, and c) the first album I ever owned.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Macaluso posted:

John Powell is always the bomb and no one ever notices :(

I noticed. I own the soundtracks to both How to Train Your Dragon movies.

And...Shrek? drat, I don't even remember buying that. I wonder how long I've had it.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The irony of someone trolling with Trolls is delightful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The Last Airbender had...good set design and costumes, I guess?