Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Did you not accomplish all your 2016 video game goals? It's okay, neither has anyone else. I've made this thread so that you can tell us all what you plan on accomplishing in the new year. Whether it be completing games, designing games, selling games, buying games, not playing games or something else, just let us know. Once you complete a resolution, let us know and make a new one.

Please keep things to three or below. If you want some advice on what game to play, post a few to choose from and we will give you some feedback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
My resolutions:

For me, I have three resolutions:

1 - To play and finish Dark Souls. I have hated this game every time I have played it. I don't like the look or the controls. But I watched a youtube video that struck me as interesting. The basic premise is that by playing DS, one might increase their patience and focus. It seems that going into the game as a means personal growth has merit.

2 - To sell 1/3 to 1/2 of my collection. It's gotten way out of hand, and it doesn't fit in my cabinet any more:

3 - To finish any 2017 game before I purchase a new one. This is mainly focused on the Switch.

phourniner
Feb 19, 2007

When you're in a town like this all covered with smoke, you forget that there's a world outside. Nothing amazing happens here. And you get used to that, used to a world where everything is ordinary. Every day we spend here is like a whole lifetime of dying slowly.

My resolution is to stop getting hype over early access games, stop buying into them. It's never worked and I've been disappointed too many times. I also need to set a rule down that any future game I buy I need to plan on beating. I have so many games I've just dropped and have never beaten. I need to push myself to get through them nowadays, it seems.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I am going to 1 credit a shoot-'em-up, translate a Japanese game, and design and build a pre-1980's arcade-style game.

I don't know what shoot-'em-up it'll be but probably not something bullet hell. Maybe a Parodius game, though that feels like cheating since I'm already halfway decent at those.

I do know what Japanese video game I want to translate: the super obscure Momotarou Dentetsu for the Famicom. It's the first of a thirty year long series of games that had nearly yearly releases and is effectively unknown. Admittedly, I don't think it's a very good game, but it's the obscureness of it that's drawing me to doing it. I hope to be able to translate it over the summer.

For designing and building my own arcade machine, I may wind up just copying an existing design for the sake of simplicity. Mainly I want to do it as a learning exercise and if I do it then it probably will never get any further than a messy prototype board. It'll be a small miracle if I get it to output to a television instead of just using LED's to show things.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Random Stranger posted:

I do know what Japanese video game I want to translate: the super obscure Momotarou Dentetsu for the Famicom. It's the first of a thirty year long series of games that had nearly yearly releases and is effectively unknown. Admittedly, I don't think it's a very good game, but it's the obscureness of it that's drawing me to doing it. I hope to be able to translate it over the summer.

I'm curious how this is going to work. Are you going to break it down to the source code to inject the English into the actual game? Have you done this sort of thing in the past?

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I will try to play through more of my steam library of excellent single-player adventures instead of wasting time playing multiplayer games I don't like very much but play because my friends are playing them

I will try and learn Street Fighter V and hope that it doesn't end up being like the latter type of game I just described

I will also try to beat Dark Souls, like the OP

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm curious how this is going to work. Are you going to break it down to the source code to inject the English into the actual game? Have you done this sort of thing in the past?

For Famicom games it's easy. You can locate the text of the game in the ROM, translate it, replace the graphics for the Japanese characters with English characters, then substitute the now mangled text with English. I have done some very light ROM hacking in the past so the real challenge for me is going to be doing the translation on my own and making it fit within the text constraints.

Translating a game can be much more involved and complicated, of course. But for a simple, "I just want to do it," project this is enough.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

phourniner posted:

My resolution is to stop getting hype over early access games, stop buying into them. It's never worked and I've been disappointed too many times.

Really? My only disappointment was Planetary Annihilation, which wasn't really a bad game, just not the True Successor to TA that we all hoped for. But I've backed Pillars of Eternity, Grim Dawn, Prison Architect, Rimworld, Space Engineers, Kerbal Space Program, The Long Dark, Wasteland 2 - plenty of games there that have lived up to their potential if not exceeded it. Admittedly Project Zomboid is taking a meandering route to 1.0, but even that's been fun enough. I'm not trying to attack you just curious about what you bought into that didn't pan out.

I need to stop replaying games I've already played to death, especially ones designed for replayability (Paradoxxxx :argh:) and work on my giant-rear end backlog.

And another person who wants to actually finish DaS here! I've gotten as far as Laurel and Hardy before but I'm too basic to beat them.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
i resolve to kiss all the anime babes in persona 5

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I'm going to try to, get this, buy less video games.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I started DS a bit early. This is my 3rd time playing. I made it past the Asylum boss finally. This was in part because I finally figured out how to use the stupid Estus Flask. Could probably beat him w/out the Estus were I to do it again. But hooray for me.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I will play a bunch of RPGs in a different way than before and only buy ports of the games I have.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

-Finish Titanfall 2 single player
-Finish cod single player.
-See if NBA 2k career mode is any good this year
-Finish Dishonored 2. Just like the last one I lost interest about a third in.
-Actually try Hitman beyond the tutorial.
-Decide if I care about seeing the second half of Final Fantasy 15.
-Try Madden 17. Bought it on Black Friday and ignored it since.
-Try Street Fighter V.
-Try telltale Batman.

I bought way too many games this fall.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Finish a game, just, any game at all. I am fickle like the north wind lately.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

-Finish Titanfall 2 single player
-Finish cod single player.
-See if NBA 2k career mode is any good this year
-Finish Dishonored 2. Just like the last one I lost interest about a third in.
-Actually try Hitman beyond the tutorial.
-Decide if I care about seeing the second half of Final Fantasy 15.
-Try Madden 17. Bought it on Black Friday and ignored it since.
-Try Street Fighter V.
-Try telltale Batman.

I bought way too many games this fall.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I've been meaning to play Mass Effect 3 all year.

The problem though is that in my ME 2 save file, Mordin died during the suicide mission due to me taking too long exploring and mining the planets.

I just haven't worked up the energy to replay ME 2 in order to save everyone, even though I'm sure I could just say gently caress it and start ME 3 fresh.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Actually playing and finishing Tales of Berseria and Nier 2 when they're out and FF15 when its updates come out are at the top of my list. Past that I really need to work on my gigantic backlog which will be difficult and probably won't happen since it's a lot of rpgs.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Finish more games than I buy.

Actually finish Skyrim. Actually finish Dark Souls. I got up to Blighttown in October and took a trip, and haven't worked up the energy to get moving on it again since getting back.

Vakal posted:

The problem though is that in my ME 2 save file, Mordin died during the suicide mission due to me taking too long exploring and mining the planets.
I assume this isn't on PC, since you can just edit your ME2 save file. I broke mine by being partial to everyone and ended up editing mine.

Actually now I have no idea if I even have mine or where it is. I was waiting for the ME3 DLC to go on sale. Welp.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

idgi

Edit: oh three or below? Oops. I read at least 60% of the OP I swear.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm going to do it. I'm going to get ok at Guilty Gear.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

idgi

Edit: oh three or below? Oops. I read at least 60% of the OP I swear.

There is no try, only do.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

1080p, 1440p

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
Buy less games just because they're 70% off or more.

Buy only games I know I want to play, and will play within a week or two of buying.

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014
Play through my relatively small backlog of games.

Buy at least 1 game a month. No dry spells allowed, even if the game I end up buying wasn't released in the month I end up buying it.

Replay Shenmue 1/2 and Ni no Kuni as prep for the sequels.

Crusty Juggler
Mar 26, 2009

Spiderdrake posted:

Actually finish Dark Souls. I got up to Blighttown in October and took a trip, and haven't worked up the energy to get moving on it again since getting back

Don't give up! You, and everyone else wanting to give it another go in 2017, got this.

It took me multiple attempts over several years, but during the first half of this year, the original Dark Souls finally clicked for me. I couldn't put it down until finishing it, and proceeded to do the same for Dark Souls 2 during the summer. And recently, I was generously gifted a copy of Dark Souls 3 for Christmas... :getin:

Related to that last part, I want to actually start some of the new games I bought in 2016 - I went a little crazy during the last few months, and ended up with copies of Rise of the Tomb Raider, Doom, and Final Fantasy XV, along with the aforementioned DS3 gift. I'm putting a moratorium on buying games for myself in 2017 until I complete each of these... which is gonna be hard to do, considering Yakuza 0 releases in January. :smith:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Speaking of DS again. I think I might start over. I chose some ring that regens health. Seems useless. Also, not sure I like the knight...he feels slow.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

My resolutions are beating the rest of my backlog, which is going pretty well. Also to play and enjoy Nioh, P5, and Nier 2.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Never buy any single-player game for over 20 ever again. I only ever run through the campaign once and 40 is too drat much for something I'll finish once and never touch again.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

Speaking of DS again. I think I might start over. I chose some ring that regens health. Seems useless. Also, not sure I like the knight...he feels slow.

The ring is worthless and the starting classes don't really matter that much beyond the possibility of getting early access to magic. I can't offer really great advice past that since I've played that game every weird way possible (best choice: dual wielding bone wheel shields) and can't even think of what starting out as a blank slate is like any more.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Honestly the single gaming thing I need to do more than any other is just stop loving installing a trillion mods in everything, but that's about as likely to happen as Trump turning out to be an intelligent, sensitive leader of the free world.

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

To not play games during the school semester. It hasn't been a problem yet, I don't want it to become one.
Finish more games. This year I don't think I finished any games at all.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
I would like to at least finish the main storyline on at least twice as many games as I buy this year.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
1.) Play less games, draw more stuff from games instead.

2.) Get to 100 wins in Dungeon Crawl.

3.) gently caress I dunno. The game I really wanted to resolve to get better at was Dota 2 but its been so soul crushing to play lately that I've cut myself off from it once again.

Waltzing Along posted:

The ring doesn't regen health, it just increases it by a tiny amount. The description claiming otherwise is a mistranslation. None of the starting gifts have a huge impact though aside from the master key, which is only good if you know what you're doing with it.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
I've got to build a new PC this year, so while I work towards that I've got to go through my backlog, which includes:

Pillars of Eternity
Wasteland 2
Divinity (3?)
Batman Arkham City
Darkest Dungeon
Shadowrun
Endless Legend

And a dozen more games I'm forgetting.

Also, as someone mentioned above, I've got to stop replaying games I've already finished, especially ones I've finished to death. Paradox, you will be the death of me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I have a rough list of games I want to catch up on, but not much beyond that at the moment.

-Beat Silent Hill 2
-Beat Resident Evil: Survivor 2 - Code: Veronica
-Beat Silent Hill 3
-Beat Resident Evil: Dead Aim
-Beat Dino Crisis
-Beat Dino Crisis 2
-Beat Super Robot Wars J
-Beat The Last Guardian
-Beat Life is Strange
-Beat The Last of Us
-Beat Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest (About half-way through this already, just need to sit down and finish it)
-Beat Ace Attorney Investigations 2
-Beat .Hack//Mutation/Outbreak/Quarantine

And that's the games from my backlog that I currently care about. I'm going to try and also beat Resident Evil 7, KH 2.8, Super Robot Wars V, and Persona 5 as they're coming out too.

• Locked thread