Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I am going to 1 credit a shoot-'em-up, translate a Japanese game, and design and build a pre-1980's arcade-style game.

I don't know what shoot-'em-up it'll be but probably not something bullet hell. Maybe a Parodius game, though that feels like cheating since I'm already halfway decent at those.

I do know what Japanese video game I want to translate: the super obscure Momotarou Dentetsu for the Famicom. It's the first of a thirty year long series of games that had nearly yearly releases and is effectively unknown. Admittedly, I don't think it's a very good game, but it's the obscureness of it that's drawing me to doing it. I hope to be able to translate it over the summer.

For designing and building my own arcade machine, I may wind up just copying an existing design for the sake of simplicity. Mainly I want to do it as a learning exercise and if I do it then it probably will never get any further than a messy prototype board. It'll be a small miracle if I get it to output to a television instead of just using LED's to show things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm curious how this is going to work. Are you going to break it down to the source code to inject the English into the actual game? Have you done this sort of thing in the past?

For Famicom games it's easy. You can locate the text of the game in the ROM, translate it, replace the graphics for the Japanese characters with English characters, then substitute the now mangled text with English. I have done some very light ROM hacking in the past so the real challenge for me is going to be doing the translation on my own and making it fit within the text constraints.

Translating a game can be much more involved and complicated, of course. But for a simple, "I just want to do it," project this is enough.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

Speaking of DS again. I think I might start over. I chose some ring that regens health. Seems useless. Also, not sure I like the knight...he feels slow.

The ring is worthless and the starting classes don't really matter that much beyond the possibility of getting early access to magic. I can't offer really great advice past that since I've played that game every weird way possible (best choice: dual wielding bone wheel shields) and can't even think of what starting out as a blank slate is like any more.

• Locked thread