Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I'm definitely evil, but never sure if my powers are wizardry, psionics, or from a dark god.

What's the best way to check?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

I keep suggesting upgrading from skeletons to spirits bound into suits of armor, but my partner doesn't like the aesthetic. What's a good way to convince her of the benefits?

I mean, we would have both, she just is against the look.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I'm sorry, is your wizard lady friend against armored skeletons or the concept of magically animate me armor itself? Because skeletons in some nice armor (maybe with a visored helmet) would be a nice compromise and show you are willing to listen and work with her.

If she only likes loincloth skeletons then I'm afraid that's problematic. Skeleton cheesecake being required makes for a hostile work environment and that is against The Laws.

We've got some armored skeletons and some loincloth skeletons. She didn't like the green spirit fire that bound the armor together, and all I could say is "honey, that's just what they look like" and she made me put the test model into the lowest crypt to guard the holiday decorations.

I guess I'll just save some more and upgrade all the skeles into nicer gear.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

You may want to see about getting an evil illusionist to do something about the spirit fire.

Dang. I was hoping to avoid illusionists; they always make things weird. Just kinda too flirty in the bad way.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I know this isn't sa mart but does anyone have an extra interdimensional portal they'd be willing to sell me? Or we could trade, I happen to have enough ground-up rat skeletons for a poo poo ton of invisibility cream

YES! We don't use ours and want to convert the space into a reanimation lab.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Kink is not evil! Stop acting like it is.

Edit: I mean some kinks obviously are, but not as a general thing.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

They take off a rib-bone and reglue it. Pretty straightforward.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Rutibex posted:

wouldnt a rib bone be curved?

Not the skeleton's problem. I guess they could use a fibula, it's pretty redundant.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Way too much effort for dwarves. Just have a your golems squash them like any other uninvited guests.

Also, does anybody have advice on getting vampires not to bite during orgies? They definitely know how to party otherwise, but always end up bringing out the fangs when they've been warned not to.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

I kinda got to agree with the guy, tho. Unless you make your bound slaves do something, you're just jerking yourself off.

Selfish fulfilment is a lesser evil to hateful conquest. But us wizards can definitely conquer faster and more efficiently.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Why not both, as I always say? One or two golems bodies to activate when needed and a set of skeletons to do typical work and raise the alarms.

Also: RIP Alfonz, who burst into flame when he bit the apprentice paladin I was corrupting. Vampires never take a warning seriously. Rory, otoh, benefitted greatly from the experience and wants to lead a raid on a convent next month.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Just redirect it towards a school or orphanage or something.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

What's the best way to get skeletons to look good in a suit? I've been trying to make my lair a little classier, and have been hoping to get some nice uniforms for all the minions. They just look so baggy and cheap even on a high quality skeleton.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

I Said No posted:

that sounds like a pretty neat new magical job to me

Need steady hands and a good magnifier to do runes and cuneiform that small, though.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Lol if you think that'll save your good looks.

As soon as you stop drinking the blood of the young, you'll start mummifying and/or decomposing. Just like all the other liches.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

See, this is why I stick to personal evil and gratification. Lots harder to get caught up in a narrative if you're just corrupting sexy librarians and using magic for personal benefit without thought to right or wrong.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Wrong Vecna, dude. We hang with Vecna of Imroglia. He's like 80% human and knows how to party. You're thinking of Vecna The Great, who was a demigod before becoming a lich. A demi-lich who somehow manages to be more uptight than a priest.

Also, still lolling at my vampire buddy who melted his face off trying to drink from a holy woman before she was corrupted. Dude still hasn't regenerated fully.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

My question is always why you'd want to do flesh or bone golems when earth and metal are so easy to get. Yeah, they're a huge step up from zombies and skeletons, but clay and brass and animated armors or are right there. And they don't stink up the workshop while you're piecing them together.

Unless you're super specialized as a necromancer???

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

My bet is still on the side of traditional pacts. Derivatives and options just seem like a long-con. Eventually one of the big players is going to crash the system by deliberately causing a minor apocalypse, and then they'll collect on your rear end.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Just dominate them, implant the suggestion, then release the hold over their mind. Effective, lasts for a long time (until you do something stupid and they change their mind), doesn't show up as bring under the effect of a mind-altering hex if they get checked, won't accidentally get dispelled, and most importantly won't drain your power with a bunch of sustained effects.

This is how I got my companions to stop cramping my style. But you need to have them trust you enough to let their guard down and be careful about implanting the right suggestions.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Let the kids do what they want. Justin make it clear that you're immortal and undying and that there won't be an inheritance.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Usually. Depends on what ritual you're using.

I think only Garnoral's Embodying and the variants get around that. But it can be hard to find a copy of it, and is a bitch to pull off. Plus side is the flesh golem stops smelling so bad, but I'd rather just bind elemental spirits into household objects. Creepy dolls and suits of armor are really easy.

Or just strait up bind a freely-forming elemental, if you've got the cajones for it. Not many clerics have actual magic weapons, just blessed ones.

Edit: flesh and bone golems are still undead, but stronger enough to kill the cleric first, is I think what the above poster means. Unless his plane has a lot more copies of Garnoral's

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Sep 20, 2017

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Going deep into necromancy right away is a good way to get burnt out. Often Literally. Learn to talk to the spirits of the dead, learn to animate and command skeletons and zombies. The basics to make life easier around the tower, then go hard into elementalism.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Should I get a vulture or a raven? I'm going to invest a lot of mystic power into it, so I probably can't do both.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I'm one of those sissy elemental wizards that isn't nearly as cool as the necro/lich crowd.

I drive a gio and dating is a challenge

Just gotta double-down on what you're good at. A couple spirits of elemantal fire are gonna clown on literally thousands of skeletons. But you're not going to find immortality going that route.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Thing about good wizards is that without binding the spirits of the ancient scholars or learning from demons, it takes forever to master the really good spells. And then they just die of old age like chumps!

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Most chairs are flammable, if you've got a stone room to lure it into

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

I think I've got three or four left over from the last party. They don't have to be pure or anything, right?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Use three or four corpses, nothing but the muscles on the inside and the bones as armor. Golems don't need to follow the expectations of bodily conformation.

Edit, I'll take the poison sacks, but put them into my butler, will you?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

That's why I'm all about the elementalism as a solid foundation for later work

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Pththya-lyi posted:

Ugh, I think my dragon ate another kid

And I'm not talking about a baby goat

It's not like I can't fend off those dumb inbred shepherd villagers and their crappy torches, but it really takes a lot of time out of my day

How big is it? Could you drop it into a pocket dimension until it matures, or if it's fully grown kill & reanimate it?

Edit:

Oooh!! How good are you at soul binding? Split the spirit of a faithful servant in half. Then put one half into a clay figurine and the other into the dragon. Should become much easier to control. And tell me how this works because I've not had a chance to try it yet.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Ahh yes, Mordenkainen, the Alan Smithee of the magical world.

I wouldn't trust anything the original creator was too embarrassed to claim as actually working according to the published theories.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Blazing Ownager posted:

Do invisibility spells work on radar?

I was half thinking if I floated a giant tower anywhere the air force would shoot it down thinking it was some sort of alien mothership.

You'll need another spell for radar. And one for IR. It's dumb, but it's just how things work.

However, (if you've got a servant to do minor some steering,) I'm gonna say that if you're fairly near to a city, then your invisible floating tower's base only needs to be higher than a standard extension ladder (+ a margin of error).

Or you could pull a trick with a floating tower that looks like it's part of a standard building until the proper time comes.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Look at this guy who thinks magic works according to the laws of physics :rolleye:

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

I normally don't mention unions (since I don't want my undead servants to get organized), but since you're here, sapient, and asking (and I'm in a demiplane where they won't hear me) I'd suggest seeing if there's a local USW hall. They usually have postings for jobs and for classes.

Don't do boohber, they'll just chew you up and spit you out.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

It's dominate the world, not rule it. Leave ruling to all the terrified nobility and just force them to give you whatever you want when you drop by to collect. Build your pleasure palace atop your fortress of evil and skip out on all the lovely parts of (un)life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Lol, owned by spirits. That's a good prank, I need to write it down

• Locked thread