Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I'm a neutral wizard with no sense of right or wrong. Can I hang here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Johnny Aztec posted:

Can I borrow your shotgun?

I don't really care!

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Hello, it's me, the neutral wizard with no sense or right or wrong again.

Anyone know the best way to use a town of people driven mad by seeing behind the veil? It seems like such a waste to just burn them to ashes and my mortal servant roster is pretty empty, but these buffoons keep trying to eat their own fingers.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

drat horror queefs posted:

Strip off their useless meat and make some skeletons. You can never EVER have enough skeletons plus the mass of rotting human flesh can be bound together with a simple blood golem spell.

Pappy always said never waste a mass of rotting human flesh and by god he was right.

Blood! That's it! I know exactly what to do!

Giddy-up

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

scuba school sucks posted:

I normally don't post on E/N but I'm really in a crisis right now, I just feel directionless and I don't know what to do with my life. Analysis paralysis I guess you'd call it? On one hand you got your lichdom, you could go for vampirism, but on the other hand there's also the whole selling your soul thing. Even if I sell my soul there's just so many choices, you know? I mean, devil lords, demon princes, eldritch horrors from beyond the rim of the universe, they're all going to offer different dark boons. On one hand if I go the devil or demon route there's the whole eternity of torment thing but the eldritch horror causes a lifetime of insanity more often then not. I can dabble in a little necromancy here and a little thaumaturgy there but I'm really starting to get the idea that I have to buckle down and pick one route to ultimate power and stick with it. I went to a therapist and he suggested a book on mindfulness, well, I gave that a try but it just sounded like a bunch of pseudoreligious gobbledegook to me, when I told him that he said that I should Frankenstein up an Ubermench and then swap my soul into it. I don't want to be resistant to therapy but I just, I don't know, I'm not completely happy with the body I've got but I've been dragging around this carcass for thirty eight years, I kinda want to stick with it for at least the next millenium. Whatever I do, I need to make a decision soon, I'm not getting any younger or more evil. Help me out E/N, please. (Or I'll murder your families and put a blight on your crops.) Now if you're some kind of hero or paladin or something don't even bother responding, maybe that "repent my sins and pray to Deus to forgive my crimes against the natural order" crap works for some people but that's not me.

I recommend bathing in the blood of virgins. Every bloodbath only takes about a month of preparation and 10 virgins of blood, and each will set your body's aging back a couple of years. Also it's quite relaxing, I recommend throwing in a lavender bath bomb too.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Do any of you know how to get rid of a unending hunger curse? I was doing it with a hot witch and I refused to go down on her, so she cursed me and now there's a risk that I'm going to transform myself into a star eating eldritch horror just to sate my hunger. Witches, am I right?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I'm casting necromancy on this thread.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Hobelhouse posted:

Yeah that's why I switched out of Eldritch Geometry, I was starting to hear voices every time I saw a right angle. Bad news.

Anyone out there who can speak on the job prospects for necromancers vs dark artifact crafters? I feel like there will always be a demand out there for a good Cursed Monkey Paw or Staff of Torment, and if something happens to that market I can always schlep it making +1 Wands of Conjuring or something. Necromancy seems a lot less fungible. What if I've raised an army of skeletons but then zombies come back in vogue? There's no re- fleshing your army of the damned.

I have a lot of friends who are dark artificers or necromancer, and in my experience the dark artificers make more money on average, but no dark artificer is ever going to be as famous as or reach the untold heights of power of the most famous necromancers. On the other hand, being a necromancer is a lot riskier; there are more paladins that go around killing necromancers than dark artificers.

In the end, it depends on whether you prefer above average reward at low risk, or massive potential reward at high risk.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

Sauron, maybe. I don't think a multi-talented Renaissance wizard like that can be nailed down to a single vocation, though. I mean, he spent a long time going by just "The Necromancer". Nobody who wasn't a full up, bonafide necromancer (with huge balls) could pull off something like that.

But the V-man definitely doesn't count, and I think he'd have gone further if he did. If he'd made his own wands instead of relying on buggy store-bought models or ancient artifacts he hadn't properly researched, well - no use wondering what could've been.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, artificing in general (not just dark artificing) is a great addition to your arsenal. But if it's your bread and butter, don't expect to transmogrify that into a five course meal.

Now enchanting, on the other hand, is a highly related field that's pushed out some great ones. Morgan le Fay! Jafar! The hero of Kvatch before becoming Sheogorath!

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

naem posted:

They say money is the root of all evil but I've seen money turn a LOT of evil guys neutral in my day

I think he's cackling because his gelatinous cubes are eating your gold and artifact supply.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I personally contract out to ghost lawyers. They tend to be more transparent.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Instead of driving, I like to take shortcuts through Hell. The spacial topology is somehow both infinite and super condensed compared to ours, so stepping in, walking a few feet, and stepping out has been a great replacement for teleportation ever since the Teleportation Restriction Act of 1387. Stupid Lawful Evil wizards, just because teleportation overuse risks undoing the very fabric of space-time doesn't mean we shouldn't use it! We're evil! Aren't half of us trying to unleash an eldritch horror that will do that anyway? Ugh.

The only downside to walking through Hell are needing to kill 6 billion demons every time I do. I mostly use charm spells to get them to fight one another at this point.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Automatic Slim posted:

Do you know what eldritch horror does to property values?

And we're back to the argument about becoming Lawful Neutral hedge fund wizards, again.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Rutibex posted:

you have to be careful with exponential skeleton growth. if you get to many together in one area they can spontaneously form into a sentient crypt golem, and then you have some problems

I'm laughing evily at anyone who doesn't keep their skeletons on a strictly programmatic behavior.

Posted from my skeleton computer.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Not as bad as those loving muscle wizards who cast with their STR. Those guys are minmaxing bastards!

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

nomadologique posted:

i've had to start preemptively disenchanting all the plants in my kitchen a couple times a day just to make sure they're not vengeful ex girlfriend dryads.

Why go through all that effort? Just turn all plant life into wasted husks around your lair, then raise the corpses. I love being a necrodruid!

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

I Said No posted:

are sorcerers allowed here

How evil are ya?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
One of the key tenants of evil wizardhood is that all people are capable of evil. Not immediately, in most cases, but if you ease them into it one act at a time it's very trivial (though not easy) to make even the most hardcore paladin fall. A life taken here, a lie told there, all in the name of the "greater good" is a great way to get rid of good.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Hippity Hoppity posted:

Hey guys evil underling for hire if anyones interested (Note: I DON'T accept experimenting on myself)

What's even the point then?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

I Said No posted:

has anyone tried enchanting assault rifle ammunition with golem animation? it's like you're just firing a stream of tiny bullet shaped golems at them, its loving hilarious
kind of a bastard to clean up afterwards though

What are you, an Ammomancer?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone here had success with circumventing holy mind control? I’ve been recently captured by a team of crusaders and I made a deal for my life and freedom if I underwent a ritual to their god. Of course I don’t plan on actually repenting but I’ve seen evil acquaintances go through the same ordeal, with no doubt the same mindset, and still come out reformed as a ‘hero’. I need some way to resist it, or at least reset myself after the fact. The later might even be better, as it’ll make it easier to betray them. Any ideas?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

phasmid posted:

I'm still learning this stuff. I'm only ninety years old (I just look twenty-seven because I drink unicorn blood - least I was told it was unicorn blood).

Unicorn blood is so 1800s, way too many side effects for a modern evil wizard. Luckily for you, I happen to have some spare captured adventurers to transfer consciousness into; basically removes all problems related to the crap you've put in your body, and gives you the ability to go toe-to-toe with other adventurers. Plus you can transfer the adventurer back into your body and watch them pull their hair out trying to convince their ex-friends they're not evil, haha.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

phasmid posted:

Last time I put my body in to an adventurer, I didn't sedate my original enough. He woke up and as far as I know is still living in my old crumbling keep. I tried reasoning with my guards (forced to slay, wasn't very good at raising strong servants back then) but the wards I had put up were woven so intricately that I'd need a cheat guide to get around them - the cheat guide that was still in the keep. I trudged off through the swamp with a barbarian in my old body laughing at me. He probably won't be able to get out or go in to the basement, but the wine cellar's full of unicorn blood so he's most likely just going to keep the place.

I don't know that I'm ready for transferral spells after that experience. Really wish I'd put a limited duration on it, but the recipe for that calls for things that don't exist and some that are extremely racist (old book) so I skipped it like a slacker.

Sounds like poor planning on your part. Are you sure being an evil wizard is the right path for you? You might do better as an evil cult leader; even if you plan poorly, generally speaking you can still summon unspeakable evils. Granted you might die in the process, or have your soul ripped asunder by Those Soulless Things, but hey, that's what you get for having a low intelligence score.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Blaziken386 posted:

Just read through the whole thread, and I'm loving it. Lots of good advice here guys, kudos. Was hoping someone could help me with a problem I seem to be having ATM?
See, last weekend, I went on a bit of a bender, and at some point I may have accidentally signed a contract with an Eldritch deity who may or may not now be entitled to my immortal soul. I brought it up with an old lawyer buddy from college, and as far as he can tell, it's pretty fuckin' airtight.
I've got about 6 weeks before the tentacled bastard comes to collect, and I want to know if I'm screwed or not. I know some devils can weasel out of contracts like this over time if their nature changes so much that their True Name changes with it, but I'm not sure how to go about that as it is. Should I abandon my current project of becoming a lich and go for the demonic corruption path to immortality, or is there another way out of this that I'm just not thinking of?

Eldritch...deity? ...contract? Giving a poo poo about your soul except to rip it apart? You aren’t dealing with anything eldritch my friend, sounds instead like Satan hit you with the ol’ pretending to be a false god trick. Just call him out when he comes to collect and he’s obligated to give you the opportunity to gamble to get out the contract. Good luck winning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
He almost tricked you into becoming a demon, too!

That Satan! What a card.

• Locked thread