Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

The Voice of Labor posted:

no one gives a gently caress about the health and safety of kitchen staff. pretty sure being a dishwasher has a higher likelyhood of dying on the job as being a cop does

Sure but that's most jobs if you stripped out heart disease and friendly fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Oregon voters, have you gotten your voters pamphlet yet? (The newsprint one with statements from every candidate etc) I only got the hyper local one with city council stuff, and my ballot, but I haven't gotten the big pamphlet which is kind of weird. I've gotten one for every other election since I moved here.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

alnilam posted:

Oregon voters, have you gotten your voters pamphlet yet? (The newsprint one with statements from every candidate etc) I only got the hyper local one with city council stuff, and my ballot, but I haven't gotten the big pamphlet which is kind of weird. I've gotten one for every other election since I moved here.

Nope. I understand you can get them at a public library but I haven't tested that.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Got mine about a week before my ballot came.

Vote by mail has me so spoiled. I can't even imagine going to the polls again.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Agreed, but also where the gently caress is my pamphlet :argh:

Honestly the pamphlet is as amazing as the mail voting, to me. Every state should do both.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
They mail them ahead of the ballots, so if yours isn't there, you should probably assume it's not coming and figure out who to call about a replacement.

Anecdotally there are about a hundred of them piled everywhere at the post office here, so you might be able to grab one that way

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Or just download it.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
https://crosscut.com/politics/2022/11/wa-candidate-accused-inflating-military-service-own-father

quote:

In a statement, Shavers acknowledged not serving on a submarine and not being an attorney despite having described himself as one in a state disclosure filing. But he questioned his father’s political motives – and called for healing and moving forward.

The episode arrives in the closing stretch of a major push by Democrats to unseat Gilday – perhaps the most vulnerable House Republican – and boost their majorities in the Legislature. The race is playing out in one of the rare districts currently electing both Democrats and Republicans to Olympia. The 10th Legislative District includes Island County as well as parts of Skagit and Snohomish counties.

The Democratic push has come with big money, too. Shavers’ campaign so far brought in more than $475,000, according to the Public Disclosure Commission, nearly half from Democratic Party committees. That boost put his campaign in the top-10 state campaigns this year for fundraising.

On Tuesday, The Daily Herald of Everett – which first reported the story – withdrew its endorsement of Shavers. The paper then moved to back Gilday, an attorney and businessman first elected in 2020.

Meanwhile, on Tuesday the chair of the House Democratic Campaign Committee – which had contributed more than $100,000 to the campaign – admonished Shavers.

“I would say that he was insufficiently clear in how he has described several aspects of his experience,” said Rep. Joe Fitzgibbon, D-West Seattle. “Our expectation is that candidates be completely clear and accurate.”
Jesus loving Christ, apparently neither the Democratic party nor the newspaper loving endorsing him bothered to check the state Bar website and verify the dude is a lawyer.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Seems like not being a lawyer would boost popularity if anything.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

sexy tiger boobs posted:

Seems like not being a lawyer would boost popularity if anything.

Honestly, if somebody tells me they’re something gross like a sex offender or a nazi or an attorney I take them at their word

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Looking at what’s left uncounted it’s mostly Multnomah and Washington county and Clackamas. Between that and late arriving ballots I think Koteck looks likely to pull it off.

Unfortunately I think Gonzo gonna pull it off. Only silver lining is the charter reform also looks good so maybe we aren’t stuck with him as a power broker for the next decade plus

Also I like that measure 112 is so riddled with weasel words it probably won’t actually accomplish anything

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Looking like we passed 114? Not sure how well it'll work but suck a dick anyways oregunians!

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

sexy tiger boobs posted:

Looking like we passed 114? Not sure how well it'll work but suck a dick anyways oregunians!

I can’t see 114 surviving the inevitable USSC challenge

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Doesn't seem more restrictive than the CA laws but admittedly I haven't thought about it too deeply. You think the permitting running through the police is the hangup?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

sexy tiger boobs posted:

Doesn't seem more restrictive than the CA laws but admittedly I haven't thought about it too deeply. You think the permitting running through the police is the hangup?

Yeah I think that is going to be a big sticking point for this court but also I mostly just think the trend right now is to dismantle state gun regulation and just because something has survived up until now (eg CA’s law) doesn’t mean it’s not on the chopping block

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Looking at what’s left uncounted it’s mostly Multnomah and Washington county and Clackamas. Between that and late arriving ballots I think Koteck looks likely to pull it off.

Unfortunately I think Gonzo gonna pull it off. Only silver lining is the charter reform also looks good so maybe we aren’t stuck with him as a power broker for the next decade plus

Also I like that measure 112 is so riddled with weasel words it probably won’t actually accomplish anything

Unfortunately we probably won’t know about the totals from Clackamas until late in the day. Our horseshit elections clerk decided that they wouldn’t announce totals between like 10 last night and this evening. Luckily one of the few races that is enough of a landslide to call from Clack is said horseshit clerk Sherri Hall losing to McCullen.

Sadly it’s not looking good for Libra Forde but that’s not surprising despite her out-raising Savas. I think I saw like 2 or 3 total signs for her while Savas has a huge network or sign installers and hundreds of people willing to let him out a 4’x8’ sign on their property. The Clackamas County Democrats are just not as organized.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

therobit posted:

Unfortunately we probably won’t know about the totals from Clackamas until late in the day. Our horseshit elections clerk decided that they wouldn’t announce totals between like 10 last night and this evening. Luckily one of the few races that is enough of a landslide to call from Clack is said horseshit clerk Sherri Hall losing to McCullen.

Sadly it’s not looking good for Libra Forde but that’s not surprising despite her out-raising Savas. I think I saw like 2 or 3 total signs for her while Savas has a huge network or sign installers and hundreds of people willing to let him out a 4’x8’ sign on their property. The Clackamas County Democrats are just not as organized.

There’s enough uncounted in Multnomah and Washington counties and the margin in Clackamas isn’t dire enough as it currently stands for me to see a path forward for Drazen. Although who knows

McGrady
Jun 27, 2003

The greatest lurker of all the lower class lurkers.
College Slice
I feel like there is a lot of smaller 75% counted counties votes going Drazen heavily that will boost her up a lot, probably enough to offset either Washington or Multnomah. Not sure if it is enough to beat both. But 20,000 votes here, 10,000 votes there adds up.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

McGrady posted:

I feel like there is a lot of smaller 75% counted counties votes going Drazen heavily that will boost her up a lot, probably enough to offset either Washington or Multnomah. Not sure if it is enough to beat both. But 20,000 votes here, 10,000 votes there adds up.

Except Multnomah County has 80,000 outstanding votes to count.

You're right in that it adds up, but you've completely forgotten that MultCo isn't done counting yet.

https://www.oregonlive.com/politics/2022/11/tina-kotek-wins-oregon-governors-race-fending-off-strongest-republican-bid-in-a-decade.html

Oregonian called it.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

RocketRaygun posted:

Except Multnomah County has 80,000 outstanding votes to count.

You're right in that it adds up, but you've completely forgotten that MultCo isn't done counting yet.

https://www.oregonlive.com/politics/2022/11/tina-kotek-wins-oregon-governors-race-fending-off-strongest-republican-bid-in-a-decade.html

Oregonian called it.

That’s a relief.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Measure 111 might pass :toot:

It's fuckin close tho

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/IdahoStatesman/status/1595012051746824192?s=20&t=YE15uC0csAt-om2CCMXMrg

https://twitter.com/IdahoStatesman/status/1594767750957867018?s=20&t=YE15uC0csAt-om2CCMXMrg

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Boise’s been growing so fast it must be really weird seeing the institutions struggle to modernize but at least all the SoCal transplants have something familiar to look at when they see the local cops

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/MayorofSeattle/status/1598485318533287936?s=20&t=_qCycv_WwnYhL9OlamOgdQ

Mayor bootlicker.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
San Francisco stopped the explicit authorization of police killbots... For now.

https://apnews.com/article/police-san-francisco-a392e5a7c1aaac8f58387dde672a7fd1

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

It gave us this gem of a quote: “The people of San Francisco have spoken loud and clear: There is no place for killer police robots in our city.”

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

therobit posted:

It gave us this gem of a quote: “The people of San Francisco have spoken loud and clear: There is no place for killer police robots in our city.”

In this house we believe

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Dallas PD exploded a guy with a robot a few years ago, who knew that cops needed explicit authorization to do anything - they just do the thing.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Dallas PD exploded a guy with a robot a few years ago, who knew that cops needed explicit authorization to do anything - they just do the thing.

Yeah I think the Dallas situation is the origin, but specifically this all came about because California passed a law requiring local police departments to inventory their military style equipment and draw up regulations for its use

The SF city council’s draft regulations said cops couldn’t use robots for deadly force, SFPD drew a big red line through that requirement, and it blew up from there, with the city council initially looking like they’d bend to the police until I guess probably public pressure got them to reverse

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Yeah I think the Dallas situation is the origin, but specifically this all came about because California passed a law requiring local police departments to inventory their military style equipment and draw up regulations for its use

The SF city council’s draft regulations said cops couldn’t use robots for deadly force, SFPD drew a big red line through that requirement, and it blew up from there, with the city council initially looking like they’d bend to the police until I guess probably public pressure got them to reverse
It's just about guaranteed that the only reason the SFPD haven't used a robot to murder anyone yet is they haven't had the opportunity, and I doubt this is going to stop them when next the opportunity arises. They probably figured it wasn't worth the fight over something they're just going to do when they want to, anyway.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Ham Equity posted:

It's just about guaranteed that the only reason the SFPD haven't used a robot to murder anyone yet is they haven't had the opportunity, and I doubt this is going to stop them when next the opportunity arises. They probably figured it wasn't worth the fight over something they're just going to do when they want to, anyway.

It’s like the Washington law about high speed pursuits where they got up there and said “this law might prevent us from chasing after a kidnapper and their victim”

Bullshit, everyone knows they’ll just chase whatever they want anyway and let people argue about whether the pursuit was legal after the fact

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

right or wrong, they are the men with the killer robots

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

HashtagGirlboss posted:

It’s like the Washington law about high speed pursuits where they got up there and said “this law might prevent us from chasing after a kidnapper and their victim”

Bullshit, everyone knows they’ll just chase whatever they want anyway and let people argue about whether the pursuit was legal after the fact

They are definitely pouting about this and just not enforcing any road laws now. I was on i5 yesterday, police car in the lane next to me, and many laws being broken in plain view. (people generally driving like assholes, weaving between lanes at way too high speeds) They're refusing to do their jobs until we bribe them with a bigger budget and a blessing for them to be the mad max drivers.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Wayne Knight posted:

They are definitely pouting about this and just not enforcing any road laws now. I was on i5 yesterday, police car in the lane next to me, and many laws being broken in plain view. (people generally driving like assholes, weaving between lanes at way too high speeds) They're refusing to do their jobs until we bribe them with a bigger budget and a blessing for them to be the mad max drivers.

The off-peak cruising speed of I-5 in Snohomish county is around 70+mph (80+mph in Skagit) and has been for a few years. It’s like they’ve stopped handing out speeding tickets altogether.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

In a sane world we could show the data for this, prove that cops have abdicated their traffic enforcement duties, and defund the police transfer those duties to a new, separate department that works solely based on dashcams/ALPR. Don't bother stopping the car, just get behind them to read the plate, then pass them to get the driver's face on dashcam, ticket's in the mail.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Wayne Knight posted:

In a sane world we could show the data for this, prove that cops have abdicated their traffic enforcement duties, and defund the police transfer those duties to a new, separate department that works solely based on dashcams/ALPR. Don't bother stopping the car, just get behind them to read the plate, then pass them to get the driver's face on dashcam, ticket's in the mail.

There's an obvious problem there, the AI that would be used is much better at identifying white people vs brown people, so, a lot more tickets would be issued to white people, and that is the opposite of the point of policing.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

pseudanonymous posted:

There's an obvious problem there, the AI that would be used is much better at identifying white people vs brown people, so, a lot more tickets would be issued to white people, and that is the opposite of the point of policing.

That's not how this works at all... you mail the ticket based on the plate, and include the photo so they can push back in the relatively rare case that someone else was driving their car. Places with traffic enforcement cameras have been doing this for ages and there is no facial recognition involved.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

alnilam posted:

That's not how this works at all... you mail the ticket based on the plate, and include the photo so they can push back in the relatively rare case that someone else was driving their car. Places with traffic enforcement cameras have been doing this for ages and there is no facial recognition involved.

These tickets are funny because (at least in Oregon) they ask you to identify the driver so they can send them a ticket instead and it’s heavily implied from the way it’s written and worded that this is required but if you look closely at the fine print it’s not

That said, last one I got was the red light on 99w in Sherwood, and 99% of my car was in the intersection and I thought they had a human review to prevent those ones from getting mailed out

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Wayne Knight posted:

Remember when the 520 bridge wasn't mailing out the $5 toll until it had crossed over into the $50 penalty?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Business as usual

https://twitter.com/fox13seattle/status/1603186380615688194?s=20&t=e4m-O91g9yEjCHD9zbuPJQ

Hope the county and Troyer get the poo poo sued out of them.