Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

https://mobile.twitter.com/portlandmercury/status/1603139324576681984?cxt=HHwWgMDS7Zmuv78sAAAA

quote:

Portland homeless shelter providers were taken by surprise in October when Mayor Ted Wheeler and City Commissioner Dan Ryan unveiled a plan to open several large-scale outdoor homeless encampments across town. Many longtime organizations, several of which already ran outdoor shelters similar to the proposed camps, had expected the city to seek their input in the proposal.

“But no local provider had been consulted,” recalled Andy Miller, director of homeless service nonprofit Our Just Future (formerly Human Solutions). “That just felt strange.”

Instead, email records show a California-based nonprofit with no experience in Oregon played a central role in shaping City Hall’s plan to open outdoor, city-run encampments for homeless Portlanders. The San Francisco shelter operator, called Urban Alchemy, has been in talks with Wheeler’s office since April on bringing their model of outdoor encampments to Portland.

A lot of that sweet sweet non-profit money in homeless concentration camps

quote:

The nonprofit’s budget has grown 500 percent in under two years—and it has no intention of slowing down. According to an Urban Alchemy pamphlet shared with Wheeler’s office, the organization hopes to add three new urban areas to its portfolio by June 2025.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

In 2020 they were a 10m a year org, almost all of their revenue (about 85%) comes from contributions, they basically exploded from like 35k to 8.7M in contributions in one year, so they have some kind of dynamite fundraising team or else were funded by like a city or something, which is kind of weird, they call themselves a social enterprise.

they pay their CEO and COO weirdly low, which is sus, like if they are living in san francisco on 32k and 13k a year they are homeless themselves; so they are probably also drawing a salary from somewhere else or are independently wealthy or something.

Their website is all about "cleaning up streets" and not "helping homeless people" which is sort of what you'd expect from Ted.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

pseudanonymous posted:

they pay their CEO and COO weirdly low, which is sus, like if they are living in san francisco on 32k and 13k a year they are homeless themselves; so they are probably also drawing a salary from somewhere else or are independently wealthy or something.

That is interesting. My first thought was that it was some amount of non-profit C-suite grift where they’re getting paid big dollars off of public money. Which could still be the case further down the organizational chart but maybe they’re just true believers in human misery

quote:

Urban Alchemy’s approach is notably different from nonprofits operating in Portland.

The organization’s patrol teams routinely partner with local law enforcement to help enforce homeless campsite sweeps, and often work as security guards at encampments, despite not obtaining a state private security license to do so. The company has also been accused of falling short on a promise to offer living wages to its staff—most who’ve experienced homelessness or incarceration—and creating an unsafe work environment.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

HashtagGirlboss posted:

That is interesting. My first thought was that it was some amount of non-profit C-suite grift where they’re getting paid big dollars off of public money. Which could still be the case further down the organizational chart but maybe they’re just true believers in human misery

gently caress, I hope Bruce Harrell and the KCHRA don't see that poo poo, they'd probably love to have a non-profit partner for their sweeps.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
sanctuary districts canonically start in SF and get exported elsewhere. we're trying to keep the timeline on track so we can get to the eugenics wars.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Yeah seriously. Do you want the Bell riots? Because this is how you get the Bell riots.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Wayne Knight posted:

Yeah seriously. Do you want the Bell riots? Because this is how you get the Bell riots.

That depends. If we have Bell riots do we also get the scarcity-free space communism future?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

therobit posted:

That depends. If we have Bell riots do we also get the scarcity-free space communism future?

Maybe the real scarcity-free space communism is the friends we made along the way

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

therobit posted:

Yes, of course!

Unfortunately we still have to get the nuclear near-annihilation first.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

star trek wasn't post scarcity communist utopia. it was regular space capitalism, all the problems were foisted off onto the colonies

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Laterite posted:

Yes, of course!

Unfortunately we still have to get the nuclear near-annihilation first.

And the eugenics wars. And the second civil war.

30% of the human population dies before vulkans discover we're warp capable in 2063.

In retrospect, the lack of climate change being a factor is rather optimistic.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

The Voice of Labor posted:

star trek wasn't post scarcity communist utopia. it was regular space capitalism, all the problems were foisted off onto the colonies

The colonies were the weirdos that didn't want to live in space utopia.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The true nut jobs join Starfleet.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Getting rid of SROs and the GVRT were the only real changes in Portland to come from months of protests

GVRT was reestablished a while back

Now it looks like SROs are back on the menu too

https://www.koin.com/nwpolitics/ppa-portland-police-union-president-discusses-bringing-school-resource-officers-back-after-shootings/amp/

Honestly it’s infuriating how little the Floyd protest’s accomplished

All that energy and rage and fight and then nothing

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Getting rid of SROs and the GVRT were the only real changes in Portland to come from months of protests

GVRT was reestablished a while back

Now it looks like SROs are back on the menu too

https://www.koin.com/nwpolitics/ppa-portland-police-union-president-discusses-bringing-school-resource-officers-back-after-shootings/amp/

Honestly it’s infuriating how little the Floyd protest’s accomplished

All that energy and rage and fight and then nothing

The only thing that happened in Seattle was they split off parking from the cops, and they're putting them back together now.

So loving frustrating.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Ham Equity posted:

The only thing that happened in Seattle was they split off parking from the cops, and they're putting them back together now.

So loving frustrating.

Seeing so much righteous anger and energy and enthusiasm come to absolutely nothing is so depressing

I think it was when I realized that mass mobilization was incapable of creating change in the US

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

down with SROs, up with SROs

(cheap single room occupancy motel places where you used to be able to stay for like $200/wk)

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I think it was when I realized that mass mobilization was incapable of creating change in the US

That’s not correct.

It has to disrupt the functioning of society in a sustained way to create change. Mass mobilizing for a short period can’t create change. It has to meaningfully disrupt society for as long time and create a sustained violent reaction to work.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Bar Ran Dun posted:

That’s not correct.

It has to disrupt the functioning of society in a sustained way to create change. Mass mobilizing for a short period can’t create change. It has to meaningfully disrupt society for as long time and create a sustained violent reaction to work.

And my take away from the end result of the Floyd protests was that such disruption is currently impossible. The resources the state has to maintain the status quo by force exceeds any political will to mobilize

Maybe if things get really bad in the upcoming recession that might change but from where I sit currently I’m not hopeful

Regardless, bringing back SROs is disappointing but unsurprising

Lazy_Liberal posted:

down with SROs, up with SROs

(cheap single room occupancy motel places where you used to be able to stay for like $200/wk)

There’s still some around but I’m not sure what they cost these days

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

last time i checked, there were still SROs renting for under $481/mo but there's not enough to meet the need obvi. and waitlists for adorable housing programs are traditionally hell.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Maybe if things get really bad in the upcoming recession that might change but from where I sit currently I’m not hopeful.

Things have to be intolerable to large parts of society.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Lazy_Liberal posted:

last time i checked, there were still SROs renting for under $481/mo but there's not enough to meet the need obvi. and waitlists for adorable housing programs are traditionally hell.

Adorable housing programs :blush:

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Adorable housing programs :blush:

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

A salmon in every pot and a hobbit hole in every hillside

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I don't know if there are enough salmon left anymore to do that

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Posted this in the spam but I think it fits here better

The wonderful blue progressives in Oregon will be appealing an exoneration to the USSC, thus allowing the conservative majority to greatly curtail the ability for federal courts to exonerate the wrongly convicted, over a case where all key witnesses have recanted and the family of the deceased supports the exoneration

https://twitter.com/maxoregonian/status/1586081762723397632

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
dori monson has kicked the bucket

https://mynorthwest.com/3766071/longtime-kiro-newsradio-host-dori-monson-dies-at-age-61/

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
man literally dies from being too angry

mweb
Mar 14, 2019
:five: :nsamad:

Just dropping this here: https://www.communityfirstwhatcom.org/

Local ballot initiative campaign for a min wage increase and renters protections in Whatcom county (next to the border)

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/stephentotilo/status/1640465809448534017?s=20

Cantwell going to bat for Microsoft, who thinks it's unfair that Japanese people don't buy Xboxes. They seem to be implying that platform exclusivity is anti-competitive...? Somehow, I don't think that will apply to Microsoft games.

Also, they're probably just trying to shove the Activision acquisition down Japan's throat.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Ham Equity posted:

https://twitter.com/stephentotilo/status/1640465809448534017?s=20

Cantwell going to bat for Microsoft, who thinks it's unfair that Japanese people don't buy Xboxes. They seem to be implying that platform exclusivity is anti-competitive...? Somehow, I don't think that will apply to Microsoft games.

Also, they're probably just trying to shove the Activision acquisition down Japan's throat.

It's a weird thing to harp on, since XBoxes have always done poorly in Japan (because xenophobia obviously). And the argument that Sony is anti-competitive only makes sense when viewed through the narrow window of "high end console gaming" that excludes Nintendo, who is eating Sony's lunch in Japan.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/ScottPresler/status/1651374688042627074?s=20

I'm not privy to Oregon law, but this doesn't sound right.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Based on the comments it sounds like this is 12th-dimensional chess to expose the widespread illegal ballot harvesting tactics perpetrated by the Democrats. Good luck with that, buddy.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

wizzardstaff posted:

Based on the comments it sounds like this is 12th-dimensional chess to expose the widespread illegal ballot harvesting tactics perpetrated by the Democrats. Good luck with that, buddy.

Yet another case of conservatives saying their is voter fraud, nobody can find evidence, conservatives commit voter fraud, then say see voter fraud.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

What’s the consensus on BM 26-238? Been hearing an awful lot of people bitch about it because it apparently doesn’t have an exemption for home sale proceeds, but that feels pretty unconvincing to me because the proceeds from home sales already get massive tax exemptions

Probably reflexively fill in the yes bubble unless somebody in here can tell me that I’m wrong, I don’t have the energy to really dig into this one

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL
https://www.streetroots.org/news/2023/04/26/unpacking-eviction-representation-all

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
https://www.heraldnet.com/news/everett-weighs-expanding-no-sit-ban-giving-mayor-more-discretion/

til the city of Everett has a "no sit, no lie" ordinance that makes it a crime to sit or lay down within a 10 block area of the Everett Gospel Mission, a homeless shelter with a couple dozen tiny homes and the usual social services.

Now they want to expand this law to apply to all locations that offer social services. There are enough around that this could effectively cover much of the city, becoming a de facto homeless ban. In addition, it will be illegal to offer support (food, water and other supplies) to anyone violating this law without a permit.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Freakazoid_ posted:

https://www.heraldnet.com/news/everett-weighs-expanding-no-sit-ban-giving-mayor-more-discretion/

til the city of Everett has a "no sit, no lie" ordinance that makes it a crime to sit or lay down within a 10 block area of the Everett Gospel Mission, a homeless shelter with a couple dozen tiny homes and the usual social services.

Now they want to expand this law to apply to all locations that offer social services. There are enough around that this could effectively cover much of the city, becoming a de facto homeless ban. In addition, it will be illegal to offer support (food, water and other supplies) to anyone violating this law without a permit.

Just doin' some crimes against humanity.

Y'know, like you do.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Freakazoid_ posted:

And yet despite all of these efforts, Everett will continue to be a shithole that everyone hates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Oops there goes Shemia Fagan. Consulted on pit and resigned

Gonna miss seeing the pictures with her cringe tattoo

Honestly I’m surprised she resigned though. Who does that anymore? I kind of thought she was going for a governor or senator trajectory but this probably ends that