Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Javid posted:

I've sometimes idly wondered if a controlled nuclear winter effect could be a duct tape solution to global warming, for at least a couple years. Could even be a two birds with one stone thing depending on where we drop the nuke, too.

It's been proposed. Usually with particles that stay in the atmosphere longer rather than true nuclear winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Jack2142 posted:

Burn the world stop global warming.

Wood smoke absorbs heat from sunlight.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
This summer got so hot we had to build a fire just to keep cool.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Javid posted:

I've sometimes idly wondered if a controlled nuclear winter effect could be a duct tape solution to global warming, for at least a couple years. Could even be a two birds with one stone thing depending on where we drop the nuke, too.

I am not a client scientist but I somehow doubt the utility of an explosive release of energy as a means of combating the dangerous gradual release of energy.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Javid posted:

This is literally the final episode of ABCs Dinosaurs

All the dinosaurs died

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Cactrot posted:

This is literally the final episode of ABCs Dinosaurs

All the dinosaurs died

We are smarter than dinosaurs!!!

*elects reality tv host, a horror conceived after the 90s*

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

It's such an American answer to the issue. One crazy trick etc.

Would be pretty cool if it did work though. If we save the world with nukes I would lol so hard as a child of the cold war.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

I can stare straight at the sun today and it doesn't hurt my eyes. Neat.

Edit: So it's 90 minutes later and I can barely see the sun at all now. Took a while to find the small red disk in the smoke. I'm also getting little bits of ash through my window. It didn't seem as bad as last summer until today...

Spergin Morlock fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Aug 21, 2018

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Chadderbox posted:

I can stare straight at the sun today and it doesn't hurt my eyes. Neat.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Looked like an orange ball from BFI this morning at 6:30. It’s still so weird and gross.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
The moon looks like it came straight out of Breath of the Wild.

George
Nov 27, 2004

When you see the moon from Majora's Mask it's time to launch those nukes.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
The air outside was burning my throat yesterday. I hope this smoke stops soon.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I am not often in a place where I wish harm on people anymore in my life, but man oh man would I be stoked if something terrible were to happen to the creepshow torturing and mutilating cats in Olympia.

Also Pasado's Safe Haven has like a 22,000 dollar reward for information leading to an arrest in this case, if we have any Thurston County goons in this thread with sharp eyes and time on their hands.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Aug 22, 2018

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Don't worry they'll wait until the guy moves on to people then wonder how there's no way they could have stopped him sooner.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/report-rep-matt-manweller-had-pattern-of-inappropriate-behavior/

Republican state rep of course inappropriately touching female students when he was a professor at CWU. Oops!

Edit: turns out this guy married his wife when he was a HS teacher and she was a student. He was 30, she was 18 :yikes:

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Aug 23, 2018

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
lmao https://twitter.com/NickBudnick/status/1032726634757992448

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

It's a weird story that has me rooting for a lovely government official to tell a union to get hosed but here we are.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Police unions sully the good name of unions.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Police unions sully the good name of unions.

Here's a lovely opinion: police unions are the best unions because they will back up union members even if there is video evidence of its members murdering unarmed civilians.

George
Nov 27, 2004

Oscar Wild posted:

Here's a lovely opinion: police unions are the best unions because they will back up union members even if there is video evidence of its members murdering unarmed civilians.

They basically never stand in solidarity with other unions and operate with a gently caress You, Got Mine attitude that leans hard on the gently caress You.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Oscar Wild posted:

Regular unions do that too except officials have a dick sucking contest any time the police are feeling attacked regardless of who they murdered.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Maybe all Unions should allow their members to murder with impunity :thunk:

Also the Crane Operators in Seattle went on strike the other day.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

They want $45/hr and hell, good luck to 'em.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Jack2142 posted:

Maybe all Unions should allow their members to murder with impunity :thunk:

Also the Crane Operators in Seattle went on strike the other day.

Crane operators dropping shipping containers on random people would be hilarious.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Helter Skelter posted:

They want $45/hr and hell, good luck to 'em.

That seems 100% reasonable for that sort of work. Why is this even a discussion?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Personally, I think they should be demanding more.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

My understanding is that it's the building cranes that are the disagreement. The port guys were just solidarity. Either way container terminals were open and working today. And no one "random" would be in a container terminal, everybody gotta have a TWIC.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Fine then. Crane operators dropping iron girders on random people would be hilarious.

George
Nov 27, 2004

Crane operators striking is hilarious enough. This city has so much stupid building going on that I love watching it stumble. More power to them and go buy them a pizza if you can.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
It's nice to breathe again, isn't it

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

im on the net me boys posted:

It's nice to breathe again, isn't it

Yup and the lower temperature is nice too.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Once it gets down to the 40s and becomes constantly overcast I will be extremely happy.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Once it gets down to the 40s and becomes constantly overcast I will be extremely happy.

People talk about riding a bicycle in the rain as if it is a bad thing and I laugh at them.

Murrah
Mar 22, 2015

I am a new resident of Bellingham

Are there any crazy local politicians I should follow for a laugh or something

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

This is what weather was meant to be. gently caress summer, gently caress spring, gently caress all this warmth bullshit.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Murrah posted:

well, it's where this guy lives

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Did anyone else get any extremely foul smelling smoke this morning or was that just my neighbors?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Murrah posted:

Vote against every initiative backed by Tim Eyman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murrah
Mar 22, 2015

cheetah7071 posted:

Vote against every initiative backed by Tim Eyman.

Wow. quite a few initiatives that guy has got behind https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Eyman