Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I'm curious to know if they were taking canes from anyone, "sorry bud but we can't have you standing or walking."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

anthonypants posted:

What are you gonna do about it, sue them?

chew on their ankles

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

What are you eating if your stool has three legs in it

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

The only positive interaction with police is no interaction with police.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Yeah aside from the traffic I think Seattle is pretty great.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I don't like having to gimp further because I couldn't find an open spot to lock up my bike, having to pass by a bunch of unused rental bikes taking up space is just an additional "gently caress you".

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

xrunner posted:

I don't understand this complaint. Nike advertising is already ubiquitous so branded or not, it's not likely you're seeing much more Nike advertising than before. The whole thing also didn't seem particularly undemocratic to me, unless you think these kinds of programs should be on the ballot and not handled by the city government, which I don't agree with. But I also didn't pay a lot of attention to the whole thing so I'm open to to evidence that some seriously shady poo poo went down.

This one I understand a bit more. As far as factoring in displacement to gauge the environmental impact, I don't really think that makes sense. The bikes aren't a factor in why displacement is happening and I doubt they contribute in a measurable way at all. Nobody is buying a new condo on Division because it's close to a bike share set-up. I guess they're a very visible expression of the change and displacement though, so I can see why they'd become easy targets of peoples' frustration.

This one is really compelling to me if it's true. I guess I haven't paid enough attention to the whole thing. Do you have examples?

This I don't get at all. As far as I can tell, if they weren't there, they'd be street parking, at least the ones I've seen. It seems like this is getting pissed off just to be pissed off.

ElCondemn posted:

You think?

Yeah it's a low priority on the list of things to care about much.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Won't someone think of the children

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Steve Jorbs posted:

I think you're reaching a bit on this.

Edit: coming in with a shield after the guy is already shot and down is ridiculous though.

No.

Accretionist posted:

Literally yes.

No.

Steve Jorbs posted:

You have a fair point on the language issue. I believe they would play up the situation as much as they could if the man was making a move against them.

I still don't think it's far fetched to consider a utility knife as a dangerous weapon though. They are sturdy to hold and you can dig in quite hard with them with a partially extended blade.

No.

Accretionist posted:

If their description of events is even close to accurate --

-- then I'd put odds on it having been reasonable.

No.

Accretionist posted:

The cop should've used a utility knife to take him down. He'd be alive and unharmed today!

No.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

These loving cops need to wear loving body cams.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Steve Jorbs posted:

For the bold no, are you disagreeing to the part where I agree that the cop probably escalated the situation beyond what was needed originally given the lack of descriptive language in the account or that a utility knife can be dangerous?

it isn't dangerous if it's waaaay the gently caress over there in some dudes hand.

Yes I realize how easily a blade like that can sever arteries but come on

e;

anthonypants posted:

I disagree that it would be fair and reasonable for me to murder you with a gun just because you threatened me with a baseball bat. I also believe that police officers should be held to the same rational standard, and that any opposing argument must be made in ridiculously bad faith, because it presupposes that police officers are special snowflakes which must be protected above the lives of non-police, at all costs, to include breaking the laws which they are allegedly sworn to uphold.
Yes, an individual in imminent danger should be able to defend themselves. But, get this:

that includes when the aggressor is a police officer

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh poo poo son you just got WRECKED

empty quote

Shifty Nipples fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 12, 2017

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

xrunner posted:

Seriously. Why do people have such a hard time with "Brandishing is not the same thing as attacking with..." It's such a basic concept.

I fart in your general direction *is shot*

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Firefighters and paramedics are cool though, thanks guys.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

anthonypants posted:

Not ALL paramedics

how am i supposed to know what you are talking about if you attach the img so i can't even reverse img search it :arghfist:

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

hey they are called law enforcement officers, not life enforcement officers

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I want police to not be so morally bankrupt that the only thing keeping them doing good is their paycheck.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I don't have any taxable income anyway so I don't care how much you guys have to pay them, but maybe putting more of their paychecks into ensuring they aren't worthless shitheads would be good.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Additionally, money is power so you're just trading one for the other. Sort of a bribe perhaps.

e: that made more sense in my head

Shifty Nipples fucked around with this message at 01:54 on May 16, 2017

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

George posted:

Like I said, in a country where police actually help everyone we'd be super happy that they're well paid. Everyone deserves a comfortable life, so long as they aren't hurting people.

We agree that cops are loving people over. I presume we also believe in a living wage (insofar as we believe in wages anyway). Right now they're getting paid a lot to murder people, but what we all want is for them to be paid a lot to help people.

Deserve is a made up imaginary concept and I don't believe anything.

Except a thing called love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKjZuykKY1I

Shifty Nipples fucked around with this message at 06:11 on May 16, 2017

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

SyHopeful posted:

The thin abloobloobloo line

empty goat

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

We need police but not the police we have.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Lazy_Liberal posted:

naw no police, thanks in advance

you going to vigilante justice for me?

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

i mean in highschool i did get a bunch of people to join my posse but i don't think nearly twenty years later they'd be willing to honor that agreement

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

coyo7e posted:

Instead of paying police more, the focus on what the police do and why, needs to be dealt with. Instead of giving them better perks and pay, give their departments more funding that's not based on numbers of arrests and tickets but rather based on stuff like the community's opinion of them, actual results in the community, and how many people they help out of crises situations rather than taking out of those situations forcefully and then uprooting their life because of it.

I talked with a really authoritarian conservative cop about this stuff for a good long while before and since he kept snidely asking me how I'd improve things, I'd give more funding to the departments as a whole for staffing and outreach, largely including unarmed officers whose primary responsibility is to do stuff like contact people who have warrants and offer them education about their situation, and options on how to peacefully resolve it without being immediately moved from their life. A lot of people with warrants have no idea they have them for instance, and they often have jobs or other responsibilities or difficulties which prevented them from "properly" responding. Since the police current MO for warrants is to bang on or bash in the door while armed and expecting trouble, a lot of people freak out and do stupid poo poo like jump out a window and get shot or charged with additional charges, or barricade themselves in, or attempt to dissuade the officers in a way which causes them to get injured or charged with even more things to ruin their life.

If a pair of unarmed folks drove up in a not-cop-car and knocked on someone's door and communicated with the suspect civilly and made it clear that they were not there to immediately arrest them, a lot of people would have the chance to do whatever needs to be done to address their charges without being perp-walked into courtroom, or shot. There needs to be infrastructure in place to deal with non-incarceration-based solutions to a huge number of nonviolent offenses, which can and do pile up on folks and lock them into a vicious cycle which ultimately leads to death, incarceration, and acculturation of the prison/anti-police mindset.

When the only time you see a cop coming toward you, you are afraid, that is problem number one. And it'd take a lot to change that for many communities and individuals, but I can't see how it would ultimately be worse than what we currently have going.

I've been told that this incident "changed everything"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZg4mcYkIwU

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

coyo7e posted:

Maybe this was when everything changed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mh8DPfc2KQ

I think that what changed everything, is that citizens started standing up and speaking out. Black Panthers, anti-war protests, etc, all were followed by the Kent State Shootings, so all of those anti-armed-black-people laws had a convenient screen to hide behind. Then we had cops startd getting caught for unethical behavior in places other than internal affairs big city drug stings and stuff. Basically, Rodney King was when it changed. OJ was when it changed, because the police began to both ramp up their ordinance and levels of aggression at the same time that they were being called out for generations of systemic abuses. Once they began to feel that they needed heavy weaponry AND that the public was against them, that should have been the point where effective management is supposed to step in and go, "whoa, whoa there! Everybody needs to slow down and talk this out," and instead the blue wall hardened in a very visible and hypocritical manner.

Or maybe some school shooting in the 90s is really what happened to make all cops in the USA begin to systemically utilize force whenever their authority was not immediately followed.

Well yeah if you want to give a serious answer.

e: Columbine really hosed with my head.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

RuanGacho posted:

:jerkbag:

Police are civilians, a corrupted system and culture allows them to act otherwise.

poo poo doesnt fly in my town.

Both parties are the same, Im not voting!

"In general, a civilian is "a person who is not a member of the military or of a police or firefighting force", as defined by Merriam Webster's Dictionary."

oops

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

anthonypants posted:

that's bullshit though

knowing that would require I read further though

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Bigots are bad

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Developers, developers, developers, developers.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

It's amazing how angry people get about this left lane thing.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

It is a good litmus test for the type of people who road rage.

I guess I'm glad I don't drive.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

i asked my grandma her thoughts on the matter and she started yelling at me

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I don't know you that's my purse *blam* *blam*

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

So it's the fault of the people getting shot that they got shot. I see.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

therobit posted:

Who are you responding to here?

you

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

our can sauce

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Not pictured: the baby he wrapped in tinfoil?

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

gently caress i've stumbled into the mcdonalds thread

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

It's abhorrent to have so many empty homes when there are so many homeless people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I own a bicycle.