Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
The WA State History Museum in Tacoma is solid, if a little dry. The Pt. Defiance Zoo and Aquarium is great and keeps updating and modernizing their facilities and exhibits which is a nice bonus. MOPOP has been my favorite museum in the PNW for a while but sometimes I think they don't rotate through exhibits quickly enough. Or maybe I just had a period where I went too often. But their Star Trek thing a couple years ago was amazing and their permanent sci-fi collection is really nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

BrandorKP posted:

Yeah Pt. Defiance, Seattle aquarium and zoo in Seattle have been regular gotos. Tacoma's zoo lights are better in the winter too.

Oh yeah Zoolights is awesome. We've missed the last couple years but I am pretty sure I've gone almost every year since I was like 12. That was... Some time ago.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Bungie is in Bellevue, I like them. That's about it. Anytime I've had to drive 405 it fuckin blows.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I think Crossroads is where the Bellevue Planned Parenthood is too, so I guess that would be another point in its favor.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Thanatosian posted:

Democrats call for expulsion of Shea, Republicans defend or refuse to acknowledge his behavior.

The Dems have a majority, I don't understand why they don't just immediately expel him from all of his committees.

Well with a dem majority this safe it's not like they have much motivation to do anything beyond maintain our lovely status quo. I'd really like to see the various WA State DSAs pick up steam and start breathing fire from the left but I think a ton of people are super complacent about our politics here because "blue state lol".

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Solkanar512 posted:

Link

I really hope to see this happen in other states. Seven years is a long time, but I haven't heard of any other state proposing this.

The Association of Washington Business can chow down on a bag of dicks.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Someone find his name. That person had a name. Say their name.

If he was an incel who sprayed people with ar fire at the Tacoma Mall his name and photo would have been front and center in that story.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Javid posted:

I feel like if the fees were that significant, credit cards wouldn't be taken by literally every other grocery store in the universe. I don't know why winco needs to be special about it, but it's really loving annoying to be "put groceries on the credit card" broke and run into that on top of it

Have you noticed that grocery prices are higher pretty much anywhere else?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Spergin Morlock posted:

walmart produce is gross though. i'm not sure how they manage to ALWAYS have half rotten fruits and vegetables on display

Also Wal Mart keeps prices low by exploiting people that work for them and pretty much everyone at every step of the supply chain to keep shareholders and the Waltons richer than god. WinCo is a worker coop that doesn't have to answer to insane shareholder demands. No ethical consumption under capitalism et al but I know where I'd rather spend my money.

E: I will acknowledge that I am privileged enough to basically never be at "too broke to buy groceries without using a credit card though" and I can empathize with a person who has to deal with that poo poo.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
My dad forwarded me an unemployment faq from one of the empty headed conservative sw WA reps with the caption "better information than we are getting from OUR elected officials" but there was a bunch of highlighted stuff saying that the ESD is advising people to wait until after 4/28 to apply for unemployment under the new CARES act guidelines so they don't get mistakenly denied for unemployment.

But uh, that seems to contradict the info I got from the ESD which was, apply as soon as you are eligible. As I understand it, Jay Inslee's emergency rules went into effect immediately, and the CARES act stuff, the additional 600 per week and extended benefits, has no bearing on that. Additionally, anyone who waits until 4/28 to apply is going to be potentially missing out on 4 weeks of expanded payments, which you know, is something that people who need to be applying for unemployment really can't afford.

Am I missing something here or are conservatives just doing the usual thing where they want to confuse and gently caress over poor people?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Freakazoid_ posted:

The ESD is asking those who became eligible via the CARES act to wait until after April 18th, because that's when their systems will be updated. I don't think that means you can't apply now but like the rest of us already on unemployment before the CARES act was passed, you're going to be waiting until after the 18th anyway.

I'm not seeing anything related to the 28th so I think that's some republican fuckery going on.

Whoops, I misread it and it was the 18th in the email. Regardless I'm not really sure what he's on about, I didn't become eligible via the CARES Act, I became eligible via Gov. Inslee's emergency declaration and I've now been able to receive benefits that were backdated to mid march. But the ESD has already contacted me to let me know that all payments after 3/28 will be augmented with the additional 600 per week via the CARES act also. So I really don't know what my dad is talking about other than he wants to make it clear that Republicans good Demonrats bad because apparently he didn't get the same info from Derek Kilmer or something? loving hell.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

1glitch0 posted:

I know it won't happen, but it's hilarious there's been such a failure of the federal government that Cascadia seems like it could be a thing.

Hilarious might be the wrong word.

I mean if we keep giving Republicans control of the federal government (that they hate when it does good things like social programs but love it when it's time to kill people overseas) the logical endpoint is going to be these interstate compacts and balkanization. It's going to loving suck for a lot of people and it'll probably just be something that happens naturally over time given our lovely undemocratic voting systems. You can't just keep having like 30% of the population dictating what happens at the federal level and thinking that the majority of the population that wants social services will just be okay with yielding their political power to vast amounts of empty land.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Meanwhile in Tacoma every time I've gone outside for some essential thing you wouldn't loving know there was a stay at home order until you pass by I5.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

therobit posted:

Yeah, the protest we are trying to plan in my little town outside Portland is the same way. A bunch of people on the Facebook group for our town keep posting that they don't want us to have a protest because "thugs and outsiders " will flood in and destroy downtown. They want us to go to downtown Portland. This is despite the fact that we are trying to plan a socially-distanced, family friendly event. With possible involvement from the mayor.

And then there's Forks, WA:

https://twitter.com/annamerlan/status/1268766198931484673?s=19

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
It's probably fairly difficult to get decent talent at your newspaper when you're several hours away from any major metropolitan area and you can probably only afford to pay your employees in smiles and a firm handshake (and since Covid they've had to cut back on the firm handshakes).

As someone who was born in that shithole, my disgust with the whole affair was mildly offset by the kids.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Thanatosian posted:

Forks, Washington is a former logging town where the primary industry is Twilight. It's where the books are set.

Correct, and given that the Twilight series has mostly faded into obscurity again, things generally haven't been looking great there. This news hit me really hard, not just because I'm from there, but because it really is an amazing place to go if you want to have access to some of the best scenery and wilderness the state has to offer. But your locals turning into Deliverance antagonists definitely isn't going to do much for tourism.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Ditocoaf posted:

Even when Twilight was big, Port Angeles got more money from it than Forks did. I worked one summer cooking at a lodge halfway between the two, and our business was booming from people who went to Forks and turned around earlier than planned.

Yup. Forks is really just too out of the way for anyone who isn't really committed to getting there.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Surely the laws in place mandating a balanced budget like our state is a loving household will never bite us in the rear end, not during an unprecedented public health and economic crisis or anything.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

The Oldest Man posted:

Third straight day of rapidly increasing new positives in King Co and in Seattle specifically. There's some reporting backlog and also a significantly larger number of tests happening in the last week, so hopefully this is us catching more cases rather than the incidence going up (UW virology continues to report a low overall test positivity rate).

Good thing they went ahead and pushed on to phase 2 anyway! Gotta save the economy!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

The Oldest Man posted:

I wouldn't panic just yet but yeah seeing people sitting in restaurants while that number is getting bigger every day is making me sweat bullets. They should absolutely not have allowed indoor dine in seating to start until community spread was stopped entirely. One index case could infect 20+ people in that setting even with reduced occupancy (as if anyone is actually enforcing that).

I'm still isolating due to being high risk but I am definitely worried about having to choose between going back to work and staying safe before too much longer.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I'm sure my entitled boomer white guy dad thinks he's a champion of freedoms. It's the communist state court that is the villain here, it's clearly not his fault for stepping into the same rake over and over again.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
The only thing I haven't been able to get from the grocery store is Diet Dr Pepper and Cream Soda. I really want to try it but soda stock continues to be abysmal at my local Fred Meyer. No issues getting hand soap, tp, beans, flour, rice, etc.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I remember seeing something a while back about artificial sweetener being in short supply. I did finally see caffeine-free diet coke at Winco last week.

Ah okay. We are pretty well stocked up on staples but I don't think the apocalypse is coming on Nov 4th either. I think statements about police are worrisome but I personally think we are about to be looking at a 1980/84 level of of landslide, at least the version of that that is possible in 2020.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Crumbskull posted:

As someone who works closelt with Dept. Of Commerce, Secretary if States office, Econonic Development agenices like SBA etc: thats literally every arm of state government lol.

I remember last year after we got a 1 million dollar appropriation to fund what we do (convert mobile home parks into co-ops owned by the residents) a DoC guy was stonewalling and dragging his feet on the program and so I had to work my way up the chain of command demanding someone do what the legislature said they should be doing and eventually realised I had gone TOO FAR and reached a level where they just had no loving idea what their agency actually did or how it worked and had to work my way back down to actually get results lmao.

That is extremely depressing, thanks.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

therobit posted:

Self defense is perfectly fine. If you decide to go out hunting you're a domestic terrorist and a complete piece of trash.

Start engaging with the posters in this thread instead of whatever perceived strawmen you are imagining. As far as I can tell not a single person in this thread has advocated for preemptively hunting down Trump supporters and have explicitly advocated for self-defense.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

therobit posted:

You're a disingenuous little shithead. I would agree with drat near anything else you want to do besides engaging in preemptive or retributive violence. Use the loving legal process. Arm yourselves for protection. Educate people about risks. Lobby elected leaders. The only thing I'm objecting to is this notion that it's justified to engage in vigilantism.

Your problem seems to be that you can't get along with anyone who doesn't screech loudly enough about how they are totally gonna murder them some nazis.

Why don't you take a break from this thread if the thought of currently non-existent preemptive leftist violence is leading you to posts like this?

e: Here you go, the first 6 hours are on me, up to you if you decide you want to come back with better organized thoughts.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

The Oldest Man posted:

This part is actual both a) very clearly real and true and b) super loving bad for the future, separate from the circumstances of this one incident. It's another step forward in a long continuum of presidents of both parties getting more and more comfortable with and providing more and more public justification for the murder of Americans without trial by security services under dubious circumstances and dispensing with the notion of due process.

This. There is no police reform coming from anyone that is going to solve this.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
If nothing else, I'm glad Culp ate poo poo as expected. Considering the way 2020 has gone in general there was a tiny part of my brain that refused to accept it was a foregone conclusion.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Pretty wild that Oregon can do all the drugs but they still won't let y'all pump your own gas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Son of the cop that drove through the crowd of people in Tacoma wrote an editorial in the Stranger, supporting calls for his firing. Probably doesn't cover anything most folks in here are unaware of re: police brutality, but I thought it was worth a look: https://www.thestranger.com/slog/2021/03/08/55693659/my-dad-is-the-tacoma-cop-who-drove-into-the-crowd-of-racers