Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

seiferguy posted:

I've been trying to look for it, but there was an article / opinion piece ran in the Seattle Times after a major tragedy (I think the Charleston church shooting?) where the author basically patted himself on the back and said something to the effect of "other cities need to be like us when it comes to racial diversity." It kind of speaks to the mentality that we think we're all great at race relations because lynching didn't start here. Seattle and Portland has real racial issues, but I'd say they're different from the ones in the South.

Being black in Seattle in the midst of all the TechBros, I compare it to how Asian people are seen in the South. Just an outright naivety that often ends up making you feel more like an oddity rather than a human being. Usually not openly racist, but hey, maybe I've been lucky to miss the bad parties.

Solkanar512 posted:

Why is diversity only ever measured as black (maybe Hispanic or Native American thrown in once in a while) vs white dominance? Why are Asian and Pacific Islander groups always left out? When I think about the people I work with or spend time with, there are a lot of folks in those specific groups (both blue and white collar) who never seem to count when it comes to issues of racial disparity.

Why is that?

It's a downside of them being more common that an unsteady peace has emerged in the same way that every white Southerner has some black friends who are "some of the good ones". And believe me, it exists and happens, judging what I hear from my friends.

Ditocoaf posted:

So basically the lesson I'm learning from all of this is that since Portland is so bad I shouldn't worry about anything up here in Seattle. Good to know. (If you tell me about something bad in Seattle I'll only check to make sure I'm in a different neighborhood, then feel proud about that.)

I think I just bemoaned some racial bullshit in the pretty Starbucks on Capitol Hill just last year, where a black woman was being verbally harassed by a white guy. Sorry, Charlie.

Yep, I'm also from North Carolina originally, and while among friends I definitely don't have to fight as much of an uphill battle to point out things, and there's not the same constant legacy being thrown in your face with all the monuments for Confederate leaders, there's Problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

who is going to be the next governor of washington?

any rumors going?

A fellow named Gray Grinslee, who looks suspiciously like Jay Inslee with a mustache.

E: gently caress you autocorrect

foobardog fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jul 17, 2019

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

RuanGacho posted:

The Angry Spirit of Rainier, unshackled its bonds.

It'll be mad we haven't changed it back to Tahoma yet.