Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Oops you beat me to making a replacement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Anyways, the answer to your poll: http://www.washington.edu/uwired/outreach/cspn/Website/Classroom%20Materials/Pacific%20Northwest%20History/Lessons/Lesson%202/2.html

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

GodFish posted:

My hot take, the PNW is better than non-PNW sections of the US because we didn't vote for Trump, thus proving our moral and intellectual superiority for all time fart
I just think we're better because we have trees, with moss on them, with ferns in it. And most places I've been in the majority of 50 states barely even had 1 or 2 of those.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

xrunner posted:

The problem with this theory is that Alabama, Mississippi, and Florida will score really high too.
I've been to them. They can keep them. It takes effort to find noseeums, unlike chiggers, or water moccasins, etc.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

DrNutt posted:

Tacoma is a place that seems to be, for lack of better words, more integrated and less racist. Probably because the economy here is less tech focused than big brother Seattle, and economically depressed areas tend to be more diverse. But it is kind of nice that we've kind of got our own little niche here that works.
Yeah the same can be said of most of the PNW as long as you're white, or if you marry a white person and assimilate into your local community via cooking parties and the like.. I grew up listening to beaner jokes and occasionally at parties at our house involving a bunch of his coworkers, my dad would step in and say, "hey that includes my wife, can you stop with the beaner jokes" but mainly the status quo for racist jokes and anecdotes in the PNW seems to be, "well you look white so let's talk nitty-gritty! And since you don't care - then it's all fair game!"

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jan 2, 2017

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

DrNutt posted:

The only places I've seen that be true in the last ten years has been in godforsaken shitholes like Forks or Vancouver or places that strongly identify as 'rural' even though they are decidedly not. Within city limits where there exist people of color in actual quantity things are a lot different, at least in my personal experience, which includes honest-to-goodness diverse friend groups and not just light skinned non-threatening blacks or whatever.

Like when your actual population consists of people of color no poo poo there's going to be less racism. You can argue that racism becomes more implicit and less explicit but I think in general it's still miles better than Port "whitest city in America" Land or Sea "tech bro central" ttle.
Okay, then how many dinner parties full of 40-70 year-old white professionals, have you attended in the last 20 years in the PNW? And I'm not talking about "goon-fest full of white people with a few goons who we knew before we knew what color they are," I'm talking "my coworkers and I all came to a party and we got to hear the water-sprinkler joke again."

Because you sound a lot like "the people I invite aren't racist, so what's the big deal bro - we totes solved the racism because it didn't come up over my sous-vide, wine, and cheese selection."

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jan 2, 2017

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
You make minorities stop feeling "unwelcome " by literally being both welcoming and willing to set yourself below them in terms of personal experiences. When you meet a 27 year old black woman working at Dari Mart who says she has been pulled over 35 times since she could drive.. you ask "why?" Instead of deciding internally that she must be a terrible, terrible driver.

You make minorities stop feeling "unwelcome" by moving Into their comfort zone, accepting their outlook as valid, and then asking for more info if you're not impinging.

I grew up in OR in the 90s and frankly the era does make a difference. It used to be that any professional party was full of racists, while today it's more contained to golf courses and high end business luncheons.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jan 2, 2017

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

xrunner posted:

"People are talking about racism and race related issues. I better go tell them how not racist I am and how much more enlightened the place I live is." How is this helpful beyond just sweeping the issue under the rug while standing secure in your sense of progressive enlightenment. I have spent no time in Tacoma so maybe it is more socially developed than the larger cities to its north and south. Waiting for aging racists to die off doesn't strike me as the most effective strategy. A colleague of mine - late twenties, college educated, generally nice guy - lives out in Sherwood (far edge of Portland metro area to the southwest) and told me a while back that he feels like a racist whenever black people come into his area because he never sees them there and can't help but glance/people watch. I remember doing the same thing in small town Montana as a teenager, and can you imagine how creepy and unsettling that must be for the person being eyeballed? Further, how should we take his admittance of embarrassment? Is it something that is fine to take at face value or should we question what other opinions/views/prejudices he's hiding beneath his outwardly progressive appearance.
I wanted to come back to this. First thing first, get your friend a copy of Ta-Nehisi Coates' Between the World and Me, if he even gets 1/3 through it, it'll help a lot. His thesis of the "black body" being a filter through which every interaction must go through is pretty good, and he's super readable overall.

I think one of the problems is that I don't really have a lot of experience with people who aren't racist, going around bragging about how not-racist they are. In fact I'd say it's more the opposite - the more racist you are, the more likely you will be to loudly claim that you're open-minded and fair and balanced and totes know black people and mexicans and even dated an asian chick one time.. The more aware of racism you are, then the more likely you are to call yourself and others out on your own racism.

I mean your twenty-something buddy sounds like he's experiencing his color-based growing pains, which is honestly a healthy and normal thing for him to go through if he's self-aware and empathetic toward others who don't look like him. Calling yourself out on being a "looky-loo racist" is one of the early steps to working past it. I am pretty sure I posted before that I went through very similar poo poo in Eugene/Spfd when I was in middle and high school because it really felt as though there were like, 3 or 4 black people in all of the county - and I'd see them every week or so walking on the sidewalk with a bag full of cans, or simply just rolling around town, looking like they were poor or homeless. I knew it was weird and unusual and unfair to only see poor/homeless black people, and it made me uncomfortable - as it should.

It's when you see that same black dude every day for a year and just go "well, they're all like that, collecting cans and bumming cigarettes," that you ought to be ashamed - but since if you're at that point you're not self-aware very much at all (at least in that scope), then it seems entirely normal and reasonable.

I accidentally moved into a black neighborhood this year and now most of my friends are black - but still when I'm walking down the street and see a stranger who's black, I do a mental-double-step trying to figure out if it's going to be taken well if I look them in the eye and say hi or smile and nod, etc. But the thing is, at least as awkward and bumbling as I am just walking past someone on the sidewalk, at least I gave enough of a poo poo to think about it from their perspective before I jumped in and tried to introduce myself and shake their hand like some kind of maniac.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jan 2, 2017

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Donuts are bad. Deep fried sugar is bad for you and it doesn't really taste very good either

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

The Vinja Ninja posted:

I live in a Condo on the East Side of Seattle, and this was recently came up last friday night on the only unit with a wheelchair bound woman in it.

So, is she ugly?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

anthonypants posted:

The old thread is open again, I guess?
My bad, didn't notice the title was just using bookmarks. :downs:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
http://kboo.fm/media/55139-black-max-riders-without-fare-are-more-likely-be-banned-trimetplus-margaret-jacobsen

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/crime/uw-shooting/

quote:

[t]he 29-year-old former UW student posted to Yiannopoulos’ Facebook page at 7:24 p.m. “im outside in line to your UW event. “I got sucker punched (he was a bit limp wristed) and someone jacked my #MAGA hat,” he said, referring to the ubiquitous red and white “Make America Great Again” caps worn by supporters of President Trump.
Sometime just before 8:30 p.m., the man — who at this point was wearing a yellow hat — was involved in a scuffle with several people, and he allegedly shot and wounded the other man.
Know when I go to a college campus to see a speaking even, I make sure to pack multiple baseball caps. Right next to my concealed carry holster. Just in case.

Or maybe, you know, he went to the hat shop at 8pm and came back?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Doorknob Slobber posted:

https://www.richardsilverstein.com/2017/01/24/uw-shooter-identified/

But really, we should just listen to what these people have to say. We shouldn't call this shooting violence and we should keep level heads when reporting on this incident and give everyone the benefit of the doubt. sarcasm
You really, really do not want to source anything from Tikkun Olam blog. Richard Silverstein is a sick person.

There must be some other more credible source, outside of this guy.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Error 404 posted:

Care to expand on this?
He's one of the rabid pro-BDS jews who make anyone else who care to examine BDS, a bad name.

He sources a lot of stuff which is simply uncheckable because it's in native language, and he's a rabid conspiratorialist whenever he comes across a conflict which might show the state of Israel in a negative light. He will also lash out at you exactly like Donald Trump does, if he notices you mentioning him or his links in any online social space - like "you must be a paid shill for Mossad" kind of accusations simply from a random online social media post.

I followed his blog for a few months - maybe a year or three-ish back? He seemed to have a lot of "insider leak info" from within the israeli military, but eventually the lack of translatable sources and his virulent and very personal attacks on me whenever I happened to mention something he'd posted (when I had come into the picture thinking that I was on HIS side as an ally), yeah, just leave him alone. He's a virulent self-hating anti-semite conspiracist troll who lives on his wife's income. And It hurts me to even put it in writing but do the thing I did - read his articles as best you can, follow his works, and see his reaction to whomever he feels is not worthy of his admiration. He's a gross hateful old man who's a professional blogger - except for the whole "garnering an income" thing.

Maybe he's written some books, I am not interested in reading them because he's basically a tiny, Israel-hating trump who is himself jewish. It's complicated, at least.

edit: that said, "Tikkun Olam" (heal the world) is pretty much the "mni wiconi" or "mitakuye oyasin" of the jewish sphere, as far as I understand it. It's a great phrase but this lone angry crazy man has kind of camped on most of its internet domain.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jan 25, 2017

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Error 404 posted:

BDS is good though
Yes, and that's why this guy is so dangerous - he really sounds good at first

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

anthonypants posted:

I dunno, I'm loath to believe some rando blog that's going to name the shooter, but just because you rubbed someone the wrong way doesn't automatically mean they're a bad person.
It's easy to verify, Google him a little bit.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Mr. Lobe posted:

I'm pretty sure he ID'd the guy correctly, though. While it's circumstantial evidence, I saw that guy agitating poo poo, and the info that was available by googling him a day ago pointed strong fingers to being a gun rear end in a top hat. His facebook and twitter were both public when that blog was initially posted. I think it's very likely that's the guy.
I agree, I just know that specific source is not anything you want to cite if someone asks for proof of something. :(

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
If you're not busy in Lane County tomorrow at lunch, come on down..! I'll buy you a slice at Sizzle Pie.

http://registerguard.com/rg/news/local/35226319-75/eugene-rally-against-the-muslim-ban-planned-for-noon-sunday.html.csp

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

coyo7e posted:

If you're not busy in Lane County tomorrow at lunch, come on down..! I'll buy you a slice at Sizzle Pie.
http://registerguard.com/rg/news/local/35226319-75/eugene-rally-against-the-muslim-ban-planned-for-noon-sunday.html.csp
This was a pretty impressive response that got probably 1500 people or so, if my experience in crowded concerts is anything to gauge from. Because it was literally just one random woman who started it, there was no like, logistics, so it really suffered from a lack of qualified A/V people or equipment (I am not sure if they thought they'd magically get a free outdoor plug on the steps, or if they thought a handful of AA batteries would be enough to power their teeny amp, but it was all completely lollable for a while).

Fortunately the entire thing happened right across from a Whole Foods Market or w/etf, so lots of boomers had seating and the attendance easily hit somewhere around 1500, there was no way to get a higher vantage point of the crowd but we kept making everyone on the franklin side move in closer, and it ended up with hundreds of people spilling off to the south and eastern side of the square.

Then because too many people showed up they canceled the march, which resulted in some anarchist kids and enthusiastic idiots all deciding to march against traffic in the highest-traffic one-way street in Eugene - West 11th. Some redneck got pissed off and some kids from the bus station who'd jumped on board (or led, it's kinda fuzzy because nobody involved with the march was around by then) might've slashed his tires.

So yeah, if you protest in Eugene - keep it the gently caress away from the bus station(s).

Error 404 posted:

This is the actual thread, the other one got closed. I don't know what you're talking about.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jan 30, 2017

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Yeah in Eugene, I had already left and am glad to have, because apparently a hundred or two folks decided to block west 11th in celebration of our peaceful demonstration, and then some dude in a modded truck hits an airhorn and claims people pushed him into another car and it went downhill from there because dude - don't be a redneck in front of the eugene bus station.. They're animals!

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10209363808984577&id=1004341022&hc_location=ufi

(his tires were repaired for free from the store literally 50 feet away, FYI)

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jan 30, 2017

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Mr. Lobe posted:

You were at the rally too? I had to man a table but it was interesting how the people started marching without waiting for the organizers to tell them to march or whatever. I admire their initiative and consider it rather poor planning on the part of the organizers to have overloaded the event with too much talking and not enough demonstration.
Keep an eye when this happens, at who is in the lead. There were a few folks at the rally in Eugene hat I'd call "professional protestors" (lol) who showed up with custom and battle-scarred 5gallon bucket drums and they kind of used those drums to co-opt the more easily bored/distracted folks into following them directly up the middle of a one way street during sunday lunch traffic. At first I was like "well at least some folks are here and organized and know what they're doing" but they were also the ones who showed up with a bandana over their face, rather than using one to block pepper spray when things get ugly. They marched directly down willamette past the bus station and picked up a lot of homeless kids and poo poo, who ended up in the vanguard and choosing their route pretty much randomly while a bunch of oldsters (like, there's a video of a man who's 85+ year-old man who almost got hit by the dude whose tired got deflated when he tried to force his way through the crowd) blindly followed along since they had no idea who was in charge or what the announcement and plan had been.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 1, 2017

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Well this is fairly definitive about the slashed tires in Eugene. I kinda thought he might be making it up, but nope, someone legit shanked his tires. Still, don't lay onto an air-horn because a crowd of people is walking around/past you in the street - just let them loving pass.

FYI, the bucket you hear being drummed on in the background was the same "professional protestor" I mentioned seeing earlier. She was leading the march in the earlier videos of this incident which you probably already saw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJkl46sOMqE

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Doorknob Slobber posted:

There are some groups working for cool poo poo here in WA for people interested. I don't have a link, but I've heard talk of ranked choice voting and also a public bank bill thats getting a hearing in Oly.
I heard there's some people in Eugene who've totally got a lockdown on getting trump kicked out of office - but dude it's late and I am tired and walking home from the bar I heard that poo poo at so y'all need to look it up yourself - if you're interested.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
sources besides your rear end, please

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
So what's the loving deal with Peter DeFazio? He's been basically hiding since November, which is easy to notice when Wyden and Merkley have been out there front and center, fighting the good fight.

I honestly can't think of anything I've heard from DeFazio or his office in like 3 months.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Yeah but there is a difference between getting shot at a protest by a guy who went out looking for trouble and someone tracking you down to your home where your wife and kids live and shooting all of you, which to my knowledge, hasn't happened yet. I'm not saying ones not bad, I'm just saying I don't think the alt-right has followed through on any of its specific death threats. (yet)

therobit posted:

And how many of them even have the balls to shoot an unarmed man? One so far. I mean you can worry about it but it ain't likely someone is going to track you down and murder you over a donation.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/11/29/us/30abortion-clinic-violence.html

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Mr. Lobe posted:

Lotta nazi posters were put up last night on UW campus. This isn't the first time. It angers me that they are becoming bolder.
Again - sources?

I mean I'm all Fox Mulder up in here - I want to believe - but I'm not gonna fly off half-cocked because some no-cock posted some hearsay

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Mr. Lobe posted:

Satisfied?
that was not super difficult then, was it? I'm glad that we can move to the next page. And thanks - for realsies - for actually coming up with something to back up what I was asking for proof of

I apologize for being such a disruptor, however, as was mentioned it's not the first time somebody's come in to post an out-of-breath two-or-three sentence post telling us about something (which I Agree Was Bad) and who didn't really give a drat to back it up.

The last thing I'd want to do is whip out some alt-media story about racist literature or people being attacked by not-Nazis and then be shown how much of a LIEberal I was for sharing it with others. :)

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

seiferguy posted:

As a side note, neo-nazis like to hide razor blades behind stuff they post, so that if it gets torn off, the person tearing it gets cut. So exercise caution when pulling them off and consider using a tool of some sort to not hurt yourself.
So this is that same poo poo about needles being hidden in apples on Halloween or do you actually believe and have proof?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
okay goddamn. I mean I've seen the memes about the guy who lined his yard with nail-boards to prevent prius owners from running over his trump sign but wow

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Wow, I go out for the afternoon, and xrunner had a meltdown about people not believing that he'd eaten MREs. I mean, I was pretty much expecting a powerpoint after that citation-laden presentation.

You guys have all the fun

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Here's a serious question I've been kinda wondering about: do you-all have more or less respect for California being part of the PNW, since Jerry Brown decided to call Trump's bluff and threaten to secede?

I mean they obv can't build a dam to save the lives of everyone downstream but hey, it'd be pretty funny if the only way you could leave the flyover states was by flying, or driving out through Canda or Mexico because neither coast wants you there.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

anthonypants posted:

Sure dude, a democrat governor is totally going to secede from the union.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Democrats

that was pretty easy

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
hey, if you wanna throw out easily-laughable falsehoods I'll just throw a link to the civil war at you.

Or did you forget how conservatives still make a point to try and blame democrats for slavery whenever they can get away with it? Maybe you're just too precious to realize that parties flip sometimes..? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVS24wqgeEM

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

anthonypants posted:

Oh no I forgot to provide proof that this is the year 2017 AD, I am undone
you didn't step up on the MRE thing (or any other thing) so I assume you're just picking-and-choosing whichever posts you feel can most-reinforce your own worldview of, well, being an air force pill-jockey? But hey tell us about your logistics background - milligrams are hard to count

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

the escape goat posted:

do you get off on being 100% insufferable or something?
apants and I go way back. he makes fun of someone breaking into my house and burglarizing me, I wish he'd get hit by a car so I can laugh at his misfortune. We're like an old married couple except he's the bottom and I only ever hatefuck him

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
thank you anthonypants for sharing the least-erotic episode of female wrestling that I could never have imagined.

You kinda brightened my day up with that, thanks! :laugh:

But why does this KUOW website feel like it's taken from a breitbart template? Holy poo poo talk about low-brow web design.. ANd I dropped out of web-design class like 12 years ago!

Error 404 posted:

None of us are funny

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
sorry bro, can't rape the married, ask the president

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

quote:

"In a letter to Reagan several years before his death, Wayne criticized his friend’s position. Wayne was responding to a letter Reagan sent to his supporters regarding the treaty.
”Now I have taken your letter, and I’ll show you point by goddamn point in the treaty where you are misinforming people…If you continue these erroneous remarks, someone will publicize your letter to prove that you are not as thorough in your reviewing of this treaty as you say or are damned obtuse when it comes to reading the English language,” Wayne wrote."
Another poo poo who "had bad eyes and couldn't show up for duty" who rode their stint in the air force as some kind of honorable service - Ronald Reagan.. Being pilloried by his friend John Wayne.
http://www.nytimes.com/1987/03/16/us/reagan-angered-john-wayne.html

Or hey, here we go with air force hero ronald reagan (whose eyes were so poor he was declared "only fit for desk duty") going out of his way to encourage people to enlist as rear-gunners, the most-fatal position in the military at that time. You go get that service medal, pee-wee!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKdLbEQ6Dv8

But anthonypants is a true american hero - passing out pills :downsrim:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
ok wow I was not expecting that from this source , LL is one of the handful of goons I'd trust to not flip their poo poo on *anything*