Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Well you see the garbage workers strike and the bus boycott were really about the right to go slow in the fast lane unhampered by police...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Honestly I think tasers and stun guns are bad things to give to police. Either someone presents enough of a threat that you should shoot them, or else you should try to subdue them with a club or your hands. I remember reading at one time that tasers tend not to be used as a less lethal alternative to firearms, but rather they get used in situations that previously would not have involved firearms and are used as a compliance tool when someone could otherwise be held, talked down, beat up, or possibly even not engaged physically.

edit: there was a ruling about this by the 4th circuit court of appeals. Just google "tasers as compliance tool" or similar and you will see a bunch of articles about this.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

ElCondemn posted:

Just take their guns away, maybe then they wont stroll into a place like it's no big deal and then freak out and kill someone when things get out of control.

People love to justify police existence, they're brainwashed into thinking cops are something they aren't.

I like the idea of them generally not carrying and having to get the swat team or whatever if guns are necessary. While we are daydreaming, they should give qoutas to the managers that strongly financially incentivize not calling in the swat team with a direct hit to thier bonus if they do. The same with use of force in general. Make it pay not to use force and you will see them get creative with problem solving.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Shifty Nipples posted:

So it's the fault of the people getting shot that they got shot. I see.

Who are you responding to here?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Yeah, uh, I don't see where I was saying that, nor do I believe it. Can you point out where you think that's what I'm saying?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

reignonyourparade posted:

People should only be allowed to move to washington if they don't pronounce it warshington.

What about the eastern half of the state where they pronounce it that way?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

anthonypants posted:

The Portland police have issued a statement regarding their actions during the June 4 protest of a right-wing rally, a week after three men were stabbed on a train. http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2017/06/portland_police_chief_defends.html
Takeaways from this statement:
Taking pictures of people who were corralled might have been completely disavowed by every agency at the time, despite photographic evidence, but it was actually something they checked with the DA and the Portland city attorney on, who said it was okay.
No one yet knows why some of the nazi members participating in the rally were assisting the police in detaining and arresting protestors.
One police officer got a widdle boo-boo on him arm, and that's why they need to wear full riot gear, because it could have been a bigger ouchie. Content warning for this image! View at your own risk!

It is a horribly lovely department.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Nah I'm talking about country cousins from tri cities, walla walla, etc.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

ElCondemn posted:

Considering the whole "warsh" thing is a east/south US thing I'm going to say you're just full of poo poo.

Lol ok bud.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Someone takes the cougs/vandals rivalry a little too seriously.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Haven't there been studies out forquite a while showing that it had very limited impact at best on worker hours and production? Besides a lot of min wage workers have a second or third job so I would guess they would still be capable to stay busy enough to make at least thier previous wage, and if they decide to do that in fewer hours then that would be a benefit to rhem.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Munchables posted:

Haha, was that Laura lady the one that tried to get a petition through that would remove the 15/hr and let people vote on if they wanted it to change to the incremental wage increase over like 9 years? I was up in Seattle with a crew blocking those guys back in 2014 and half of them hadn't even read the petition they were carrying.

Are paid signature gatherers just ans Oregon thing?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

It seemed like you were implying that they should have read or cared about the petition, but in my experience the people getting paid to gather signatures are on the bottom rungs already, and not in much of a position to turn down paying work due to politics.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

McDonalds hasn't really represented a good value for a long time anyway. I can get local food for the same price and it tastes better. Most of their ads say "prices and participation may vary" so I kind of doubt that he is going to get into trouble with McDonalds corporation or lose his franchise, but holy poo poo if you actually need to raise prices why would you draw attention to it in this way? To me it seems like it can't really do you much good, but could do harm. Small business owners can be so dumb.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Munchables posted:

Ooooh, yeah I getcha. I was in a hurry with that post and probably should have explained that part better. What I meant to say but didn't was that those guys were misrepresenting the petition, saying it was for something completely different, or that it was the petition to get the 15/hr, and when our guys asked to read the petition they were carrying and told them what it said they seemed to be surprised that it said that, and a few wanted to get hired on with us. I didn't mean to criticize the petitioners so much as their employers tactics. I have plenty of first-hand experience with that job area so I know the slumps those peeps are in, and it really sucks.

Oh I get you.

Just looking at what they do, it seems like it would have the potential to be incredibly demoralizing work. I have had to stand in a location and sell poo poo for a living before and even when I had a good product it sucked. I don't really know a lot about it, but I always got the same vibe off of those guys that I do from the kids that get carted around to different cities to sell magazine subscriptions that nobody wants; all they have to go on is pity and they have an "exploited" look in their eye. They al seem desperate to fit up their signature sheets and go the gently caress home, for which I do not blame them. Generally people tend to do that kind of work as a last resort.

I have met a handful of volunteer signature gatherers ever and of course their attitudes are different because that want to be there and are not under the same sort of pressures. Sometimes though they are like my signature gathering mother in law, who is crazy and a member of the constitution part because the Republicans sold out and got to liberal. Back in the day when Measure 9 was a thing she was surprised her lesbian neighbors were rude to her when she was door-knocking in the neighborhood for it.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

CongoJack posted:

McDonald's varies prices from region to region already, it wouldn't surprise me if Seattle prices were higher to begin with. The owner probably put up the sign to whine to everyone who reads it the he has to pay his workers decently.

Which is a horrendously stupid, unforced error. It will make exactly 0 people each there that otherwise wouldn't, but might make some people not eat there because they now know you are against living wages. For instance, a lot of people won't eat Papa John's anymore because of their loving tantrum over the affordable care act.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

In some cases being required to comply with regulations that are designed for much larger businesses IS to much of a burden for small businesses. This is particularly true for financial reporting requirements and USDA sanitation standards, which are designed for huge corporations.Some small businesses are lovely and some are great, it really depends on who is running them.

I don't see how most worker protections become that much of a burden. In particular predictable scheduling should be easier the fewer employees you have.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

anthonypants posted:

A glass manufacturing plant in Portland recently installed an air filtration system so that it was no longer pumping out hazardous chemicals to the residential neighborhood surrounding it, at a reported cost of more than $1 million. Sometimes regulations are objectively good, regardless of the size of the company, and sometimes when a company that believes that the regulatory burden is too great, they should be forced to close.

Yes, sometimes that is true, and other times it isn't. If they were actually the type of small producer that legislators were thinking of wjen they designed the law, it probably would not habe been much of a problem. But the definition of small businesses is really slippery and often abused by medium to large businesses to get around regulations. Having a functional government helps to weed that out but lol.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Peachfart posted:

It feels like these last few years have had Washington State politics drift left while Oregon politics have drifted right. Its really weird.
And standard disclaimer: I don't live in Oregon, I don't know what is really going on down there.
Edit: At least in Washington Republicans are avoiding the Trump-style wave and and mostly focusing on taxes Taxes TAXES!

On social issues we have mostly moved left, but I don't see much progress on economic issues. The democratic party here runs the state but manages to do such a lovely job of it that the republicans get a lot of people agreeing with their talking points. They are also deathly afraid of tax increases.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Solkanar512 posted:

So how are the Secretaries of State in OR and WA responding to that crazy request all voting records including names and social security numbers? I haven't seen any response yet.

I would be really surprised if they do.

Edit: Even the Secretary of state for Kansas, who heads the commission, is not going to fully comply with the request. What a dweeb.

Double edit: http://www.wweek.com/news/state/2017/06/30/dennis-richardson-responds-to-feds-you-get-the-same-oregon-voter-data-everybody-else-gets/

therobit fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jul 1, 2017

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Vancouver's vacancy tax is still pretty new, and I was not able to find another example of such a tax. Has it been tried anywhere else?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I think the government should invest in flooding the market with publc housing and make that housing not-lovely and interspersed with units sold to middle income families. Increase supply of affordable units near the core so much that rents decrease.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I mean it's never gonna loving happen but once upon a time the.government built public housing. One of the problems with government housing has been ghettoization. Mixed developments are a way to limit that ghettoization.

There is developable land near the core in the Portland area but the city is more interested in sucking the dicks of developers. If you want to push poor people to the margins of the city then you get Rockwood.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

DevNull posted:

Rentals should absolutely be included. gently caress anyone making a profit on housing.

So either be able to afford to buy, or gently caress you because we don't want anyone to provide you housing? Who would provide rental housing if your goal is to make doing so unprofitable?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

anthonypants posted:

Why would profit be the only reason to own property?

Profit is the main driver of commercial and residential rental property ownership. If not for profit motive why would you invest hundreds of thousands of dollars in housing for strangers? I'll warrant you there is some nonprofit housing out there somewhere but it is scarce enough not to matter for this discussion.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

coyo7e posted:

apants, have you ever owned property?

Well he did just get his driver's license and is still working on merging so....

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

anthonypants posted:

No, and it is my understanding that the vast majority of individuals who own property do not profit from the property that they own.
Yeah, if you're coming at this from an imaginary scenario where only corporations and landlords are allowed to own property because someone needs to profit from it, then it makes sense why you keep coming to these bizarre, twisted conclusions, and also why you'll dismiss any alternative out of hand.

When the conversation is about rental property, then yes the only reason is to profit. What I am identifying is that not everyone can afford to own a home, so there needs to be some supply of rental housing. People dont buy or build and then maintain rental housing unless they can profit off of it. I don't know why that is a hard concept for you to grasp.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

I think the fact that there is somehow a way to provide housing without falling under the umbrella of afford to buy or gently caress you is actually very relevant to this discussion. Or is this another situation where we can't have it tomorrow so why bother envisioning it?

I would be all for massive government housing programs but in the meantime lets not try and make it unprofitable to provide rental housing. We are probably 30 years out from substantive government housing neing a real sokution, and that is if you can get any traction in the legislature for the idea now, which is unlikely.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

anthonypants posted:

Your premise is false, you admitted that it's false, but you don't believe it's important because you said so.

Please explain an alternative model and how we would get there. Additionally please explain how additional taxes on rental housing helps make it more affordable for renters.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I'm not saying we shouldn't invest in government housing, I think we shouldn't make private rentals more expensive. If you want to tax empty homes I think thay is a reasonable idea but would like to know if it has been done elsewhere and how that worked out. I could only find Vancouver, which just went into effect. I don't think you should add additional taxes to occupied rental properties just to make them less profitable.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

anthonypants posted:

If you believe that the majority of property owners make a profit off of property ownership, please, present that evidence.

Do you not understand the difference between rental housing and owner-occupied housing? You keep coming back to this. Saying that rental property is purchased for profit is not the same thing as saying that owner occupied real estate is purchased for profit.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Nobody claimed that owner occupied housing was primarily purchased for profit. What are you trying to get at?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

anthonypants posted:

That's what I've been saying, I'm sorry that the concept is so upsetting to the three of you. I'm going to keep saying it, by the way.

I am sorry you don't understand the difference between owner occupied housing and rental housing.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

anthonypants posted:

So to recap I've got you with agrees with me, coyo7e who doesn't agree with me, and therobit who doesn't understand why I would make that distinction.

I'm just not clear why you think it is some sick own that 65% or urban housing stock in the US is iwner occupied. We are talking about the other 35% so it doesn't figure.

therobit fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jul 7, 2017

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

anthonypants posted:

If people can own housing, right now, and not have to worry about profiting from it, let's apply that system to everyone. You seem like you might be hung up on multi-tenant complexes, so here's a scenario: the tenants who reside in the building can own the building collectively. Is that such an alien concept to you?

Have you considered that a large portion of people for whom it would be feasible to purchase a home have already done so?

Many people who are currently renting would not be able to afford to own, and that isn't just about base price. Maintenence on a huoldingnis significant. If we are talking about them purchasing, some of them will be completely unable to secure financing due to credit history or debt to income ratios. If you are suggesting we just transfer property to them then you can come out and say that, but you are doing a really poor job of staking out a position.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Wait is Cicero complaining about a higher fertility rate among Hispanic immigrants or just pointing out that it is holding a demographic disaster at bay by helping generate more population?
Like, look at Hermiston over the last 15 years and compare to Pendleton over the same period. Hispanic immigration and younger population has clearly had an overwhelmingly positive effect.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Cicero posted:

I was pointing out that the US birthrate would be even further below replacement if not for recent Hispanic immigration, which is relevant because as successive generations integrate more and become culturally more similar or even indistinguishable from the ethnic groups that have been in the US longer, we can expect the birthrates to fall to match.

That's what I thought but they are all calling you a racist for some reason.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

coyo7e posted:

I'd be interested in your examples of dam removal not working, in this regard. And how much research you've done on the effects of dam removal on recovering nearby ecology and species, or how much experience or education you've got with energy infrastructure.

But then you went all full "ban gillnets for everybody" which in my PNW experience around fishermen, actually is code for "natives get to fish in ways we white tax-paying citizens cannot, this is obviously an impingement on our rights." "Shoot all the sea lions" doesn't exactly do much to negate this assumptions I'm going to be making about your background, viewpoint, or education on the matter.

Yes, what this guy said. I give Native Americans a pass on whatever fishing or hunting practices they choose, as it is in their treaty rights and they have the moral claim to it.

I do recognize a tradeoff for salmon vs clean energy/climate change issue. I WISH i could say that nuke would save us but when you look at Hanford, UGH. Mostly I am still in favor what would be best for native americans and salmon, though because if anyone in america has been hosed the worst it is probably them. So I think drat removal combined with investing in solar, wave generation, and wind with lots of storage and a modernized grid. Which should provide enough jobs to get a lot of people on board. But I really don't know poo poo about energy so I don't know if the wattage from the dams is replaceable. The calculus would be different if we still had aluminum plants and the like running at capacity, but we don't.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Ardlen posted:

Hanford and the Columbia Generating Station are different things. The clean-up issues with Hanford are from plutonium and weapons production, not power.

Yes, but I am not super comfortable assuming we will find a safe way to store the waste, give the type of trouble we are in due to storing other nuclear waste. But I'm a layman, so if you have an explanation as to why that is easier with lower grade waste then I am all ears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

If someone is hand to mouth, they are a lot less likely to be able to afford the unexpected maintenance items that pop up when you own a home. So they will have to make choices about letting their house rot or getting the repairs done and maybe not eating as much that month. My home was owned by just those sort of people before me, and it shows in all the bandaid solutions I find every time I open up the walls or the roof to fix the latest one that has failed. I had to put hundreds of dollars and hours of my time into my house for the first three years that I owned it. Yes, median rent well surpasses my mortgage payment, but I am about even money when you consider all of the repairs I have had to make. I have built equity through sweat, principle payments, and market appreciation, so in that way I am ahead, but it's not cash in hand. I will recognize, however, that this is an avenue for building wealth, sometime generational wealth building, that is more open to you the more money you have.

Rent represents the maximum you will pay for housing each month. Principle, interest, taxes, and insurance represents a minimum amount. Risk of repair expense is shifted to the landlord if you are renting, and if you can't afford to have unexpected repairs, that is important.

Also the suggestion that we just get rid of down payment requirements..... Uh we tried that already. You used to be able to get 80/20 financing. It did no go so well. Please see the US housing market 2003-2007 and the resulting global financial crisis 2007-2009.