Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I think most people don't claim to know or even care what code or material is used for which floors, they are referring to the style as it appears outwardly: 5 identical residential floors on top of a different styled bottom floor with a different purpose (often commercial).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Have you ever seen a campaign ad that wasn't the worst thing you've ever seen in your life?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Why does everyone talk about Betsy Johnson as if she's certain to spoil the democratic vote? Every thing I read about her sounds much closer to the republican party line than the democratic one. Position wise she seems more likely to pull a small number of republican votes than anything else. But I'm new-ish to the region so maybe there's some background I'm missing.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

HashtagGirlboss posted:

It has become apparent to me at this point that Betsy Johnson is running a campaign that is nearly perfectly triangulated to get Drazan elected governor.

Everyone keeps saying this but I really don't see it. Betsy seems as likely to get republican votes as she is democratic ones, to me. I know it's a very small sample size but the one poll I saw that only included Drazan and Kotek, vs the several I've seen with all 3, also show Johnson peeling away comparable numbers of voters from both.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Speaking of Drazan, remember when the guy who replaced her in state congress got wasted at a county fair and drunkenly threatened some lady with a gun and his party disowned him? Is he still in office?

alnilam fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Sep 30, 2022

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

These are the poll results I've been curious to see. Before seeing numbers like this I just did not get why everyone treated it as a foregone conclusion that Johnson would pull mainly from Kotek, considering how right wing Johnson seems in general (even when viewed from within the standard US D/R divide). Looks like a pretty small sample but still, I guess there's probably something to it after all. Also, goddamnit.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Measure 110 is actually a great example. The roll-out has been spectacularly bad, no doubt. But at the same time, the coverage suggests (1) that 110’s passage contributed to rising addiction despite the fact that for a number of reasons these numbers have been going up for years, (2) that not going to jail or prison for possession of small amounts of drugs somehow undermines the tools law enforcement have to put people into treatment programs (this is obviously wrong for a number of reasons key among them compelled rehab programs don’t have long term success and periods of incarceration do not lead to lasting sobriety, (3) ignores that incarceration for small amounts of drugs is mostly useful as a tool for removing undesirables from the streets to be warehoused rather than any real concern for the individual or the greater quality of life in the community, and (4) doesn’t bother questioning the barriers that stand between users and sobriety

So the roll-out was bad, no doubt. But also the media and local leaders and law enforcement beating their drums on the issue are being disingenuous or maybe they’re just really dumb, my money is on the former

Yeah this stuff has been driving me crazy, so many headlines like "After Measure 110, Addiction Rising" - a factually true headline I suppose, in a technical sense, but obviously very loaded. I'll read the article curious if they will give some obvious contextual info like, was it already rising before 110, or, is it rising elsewhere too, but nope! Never once have I seen them mention that stuff, they just leave it heavily implied that 110 is obviously to blame.

I don't even know the answer to either of those questions, I'm guessing the answer to both is yes, but it seems like important info to have in an article like that.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Oregon voters, have you gotten your voters pamphlet yet? (The newsprint one with statements from every candidate etc) I only got the hyper local one with city council stuff, and my ballot, but I haven't gotten the big pamphlet which is kind of weird. I've gotten one for every other election since I moved here.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Agreed, but also where the gently caress is my pamphlet :argh:

Honestly the pamphlet is as amazing as the mail voting, to me. Every state should do both.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

pseudanonymous posted:

There's an obvious problem there, the AI that would be used is much better at identifying white people vs brown people, so, a lot more tickets would be issued to white people, and that is the opposite of the point of policing.

That's not how this works at all... you mail the ticket based on the plate, and include the photo so they can push back in the relatively rare case that someone else was driving their car. Places with traffic enforcement cameras have been doing this for ages and there is no facial recognition involved.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

A salmon in every pot and a hobbit hole in every hillside

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

also i'm not about to get out here caping for a politician or anything but childcare for two kids covering the massive time commitment required to be sec of state would probably crack $10k a year alone.

Childcare for two kids is easily 24k minimum