Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
please tell me it's like $49 that people are bitching about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

coyo7e posted:

i used to thought that homeless people scaring me is ridiculous - but recently I smelled pee and now I stapled and anti-LTD sign to my forehead because maybe the states can stop allowing public transpo to take my parking lot

but seriously - is the library and peter defazio going to allow meth dealers to ride LTD after they took are land? this is a serious issue which has not been fully addressed

Okay but do you wish LTD would lick your sweaty shaven nut-sack?

I think you're forgetting it's the EmX that stole are parking lot and forever turned West 11th into Satan's butthole as far as traffic is concerned.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

anthonypants posted:

I'm kind of impressed Bertha didn't find more metal poles stuck in the ground.
You should feel good that the project is proceeding at all, we spent a few years arguing over how to build a bridge across the Columbia River and have absolutely nothing to show for it.

Well you can squarely blame Clark Co. for that one.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
I don't understand why companies can't be "coerced" via payroll tax to give up the indentured servitude via overtime.

If they had to pay the employee 1.5x * $hourly and then 2.0x * $hourly on their payroll taxes, surely at some point it becomes more cost effective to hire another employee over working one to death.

They're clearly already done the calculus and 1.5x * $15 * 20hrs to move boxes around a warehouse comes out on their side almost 100% of the time.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Yeah sorry I forgot to include that last bit as I was phone posting. I was going to add ADDENDUM: This would like result in people being put on salary for $14.75 turning a wrench (no disrespect blue collar people) I'd be pissed being on salary for the equivalent of $11.25/hr being a keyboard helldesk jockey too.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
And yet here we are now advocating beating people Rodney King style for compliance what a time to be alive!

B-b-but why didn't they just shoot the knife out of her hand?!

This loving thread.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

therobit posted:

I think the government should invest in flooding the market with publc housing and make that housing not-lovely and interspersed with units sold to middle income families. Increase supply of affordable units near the core so much that rents decrease.

Oh okay, well thanks for the simple solution there. We should just start by turning the ?????? into housing?

Therobit for HUD secretary, all your cities housing problems solved! :bravo:

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Cicero posted:

Getting rid of parking requirements is good. Portland pretty obviously does care about being able to support more people on the roads, they continually (albeit somewhat slowly) add more bike infrastructure, and the data shows that the increase in commuters Portland has seen the last several years has been almost entirely absorbed by the increase in bike mode share.

Can you cite your transportation study? I don't believe this for a minute.

Portland (as a metro area) has been doing this for literal decades. They built the west side tunnel out to Beaverton and never achieved the ridership increase they forecasted for.

WES got built to Wilsonville and last I heard that isn't even economical with the fares they take.

So I don't believe for even a minute that the net influx in commuters is even marginally offset by the number of people now cycling to work.

How's that BIKETOWN project working out for Portland? About as well as San Francisco's?

I flipped through a couple studies I found, around 2013-2014 which seem to suggest bicycle ridership has increased city wide just under 3% YOY, pretty steadily, while net new commuters into Portland was around 15%.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
You soap with Dr. Bronner's Pepermint too? :iceburn:

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
It's almost like everyone forgets this has happened every summer for the last decade

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
You're right, there aren't as many forests near major metropolitan areas, but I assure you both Washington, Oregon & California are under average hectare count count year to date.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Officer Sandvich posted:

What's the average acreage and what's the year-to-date acreage?

Don't have Alaska's YTD numbers handy, sorry. But here's the last n-years averages by state for Wildland. Prescribed (Rx) acreage has not been included. It's been a very slow and late season this year.

Numbers provided in total acreage, as reported by incident owning agency to FAMWEB and collated by NIFC.

SeaborneClink fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Sep 5, 2017

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Officer Sandvich posted:

I asked because I'm not sure where to look until the annual reports get released but if I'm understanding it correctly you're using active fire acres for the YTD, not total burn acres.

YTD is total posted according to NIFC, things get...complicated. I probably ought to take another pass and total everything up by hand as I've noticed there are some discrepancies between what NIFC has currently, and what is posted on InciWeb. I'll see if I can get a better dataset for YTD.

I'll leave this from the national report (current as of: Monday, September 4, 2017 – 0530 MT) for the time being until I can determine if I have access to a current data set.

SeaborneClink fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Sep 5, 2017

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
East Corbett is already under Level 3.

Incident: Eagle Creek Fire Wildfire
Released: 1:16 hrs. ago
All lanes of Interstate 84 remain closed from Troutdale (Exit 17) to 2 miles west of Hood River (MP 62).
The Multnomah County Sheriff's Office has now issued Level 3 (Go!) evacuations for Larch Mountain and the communities of Latourell, Bridal Veil, Dodson and Warrendale. East Corbett is also under a Level 3 evacuation and the rest of Corbett is under Level 1 (Be Ready) evacuation. The Red Cross is opening a shelter in Gresham, OR at Mount Hood Community College (26000 SE Stark Street, Gresham, OR).

The Hood River County Sheriff issued Level 3 (Go) evacuations for everything south of Interstate 84 in Cascade Locks. All prior Level 1 evacuations in Cascade Locks have been increased to Level 2 (Set) by the Hood River County Sheriff. A Red Cross Shelter has been set up at the Skamania County Fairgrounds, immediately across the Columbia River in Stevenson, Washington.

Edit: Appears now that the fire has spotted across the river near Skamania.

Edit 2: Early morning IR analysis seems to indicate that the Eagle Creek & Indian Creek fires have basically merged.

Level 3 immediate evacuations for the Washington side of the river for residents on Smith-Cripe Rd & Archer Mountain. That's not going to end well when the wind comes up, and that heads up hill. The good news is there's a pretty decent firebreak at the top, the bad news is it's directly under powerlines. :ohdear:

Hope nobody has to fly into PDX today, that TFR is going to make things interesting.

SeaborneClink fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Sep 5, 2017

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

SpaceDrake posted:

That would make it now a literal Federal loving Issue, as it's jumped state lines.
That's not how that works.

SpaceDrake posted:

Man, I hope it doesn't gently caress up Mt. Hood forest too badly. I like Oregon being green. :(

also not looking forward to going out at all tomorrow because i84 being closed is going to cause chaos literally everywhere.
agreed and goondolences.

Edit:

Disregard the yellow dots, the red are <6hrs old

10-20 acre spot on the Washington side
100 acre spot near Rooster Rock on the Oregon side.

4800 acre estimated size.

Bridge of the Gods open OR->WA for evacuees, closed for all non-emergency traffic.

SeaborneClink fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Sep 5, 2017

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

I've been here all my life and know we've had plenty of forest fires but I've never had pdx covered in smoke more than a single week. The sheer volume of various forest fires is pretty impressive, I just drove from the central coast to portland and didn't break smoke cover once.

Again, it's not a volume problem.

According to today's morning NWCC rollup there have been 1,762 fires (814 human, 109,699 acres; 948 lightning, 332,550 acres) so far in OR YTD; In 2015 there were a total of 2,588 fires for 685,809 acres. So I believe what you actually meant to say, is actually 'the proximity of fires to major metropolitan areas is .... ??' Inconveniencing? Made me aware that this happens all over the state & region every year but I've never really been cognizantly aware of it until I could see it from my own house?

:confused:

Out of sight out of mind I guess. Thousands of people lose their livelihood as well as many of them their homes and possessions as well, sadly these are only featured, at best, as a 30-60 second clip in the news as a "WILDFIRE UPDATES ACROSS THE STATE" because they can't just send two camera crews and a reporter 30 minutes up I-84 to drive around in the middle of the night on SR-14 to provide 'Live Breaking Coverage of DARK ROADS AT NIGHT and a faint smudge of orange on a hillside'

I also find everyone panicking about BAN FIREWORKS to be sadly amusing and depressing at the same time. :(

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Do you have acrage amount compared to yearly averages for other states? I tried to find info on the nwcc site and wasn't having much luck. Is there a resource for fire info in BC?

I brought up the eagle Creek fire as it's a little more relevant for posters, but hasn't Montana burned more than a million acres so far this year?

I posted the YTD (which I've since walked back as inaccurate) as well as the 3-year, 5-year and 10-year averages (acres burned) for CA, ID, MT, OR, WA.

Were you specifically looking for an accurate YTD for other states vs their bucket averages? What states are you specifically looking for? I can compile it, BC may be more difficult but I can probably get it.

NRCC (Northern Rockies Coordination Center), they report for all of Montana, basically all of North Dakota and the Northern 'half' of Idaho, as of this (8/5/17) morning's roll up , reports 2,761 fires for 1,138,896 acres.

Edit: Eagle Creek/Indian Creek is around 35-40k acres burned as of a few hours ago.

Edit 2: 19:30 PDT IR flight analysis is in, 30,929 acres

SeaborneClink fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Sep 6, 2017

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Fireworks on FS property are already illegal. Setting fire to a forest whether accidental or on purpose is already illegal.

Oregon banning fireworks does nothing to prevent dumb people from doing dumb things. The alleged suspect was from Washington anyway.

Next question please.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Ban Oxygen, it's the most crucial and abundant leg of the Fire Triangle.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

She's lying through her teeth then.

FEMA Provides Federal Funds to Help Fight Chetco Bar Fire
Release date: August 21, 2017
SEATTLE – The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has authorized the use of federal funds to help with firefighting costs for the Chetco Bar Fire burning in Curry County, Oregon.

The FEMA Acting Regional Administrator, Sharon Loper, determined that the fire threatened such destruction as would constitute a major disaster. Loper approved the state of Oregon’s request for a federal Fire Management Assistance Grant (FMAG) at 12:35 a.m. PDT on August 20, 2017.

FEMA Provides Federal Funds to Help Fight Eagle Creek Fire
Release date: September 5, 2017
SEATTLE – The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has authorized the use of federal funds to help with firefighting costs for the Eagle Creek Fire burning in Hood River and Multonomah counties in Oregon.

The FEMA Acting Regional Administrator Sharon Loper determined that the fire threatened such destruction as would constitute a major disaster. Loper approved the state of Oregon’s request for a federal Fire Management Assistance Grant (FMAG) at 4:30 a.m. PDT on September 3, 2017.

SeaborneClink fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Sep 9, 2017

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
WE ARE ACTING IN ACCORDANCE WITH CAUTELARY JURISPRUDENCE; TO RESOLVE THIS INCIDENT CITIZEN PLEASE DO NOT BE ALARMED. :psylon:

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Except the tl;dr is Portland voted yes, the Fed DOT had earmarked $1.5bn to match the State's contributions and Washington shot back with a proposal that didn't include light rail because "undesirables" might use it... Oops we forgot to CC the USCG and shucks guess that project is cancelled :shrug:

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

quote:

Pickering and two others described the man as erratic and shouting, slashing and stabbing himself with a knife. They said police fired either rubber bullets or bean bags, but they didn't subdue the man, who then lunged at officers with the knife in his hand.
:thunk:
did we watch the same video, or are they implying that this was before they shot him for realsies?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

cheetah7071 posted:

You realize the best and really only way to let a natural forest come back is to wait for trees to grow naturally right

The Forest Service doesn't exactly go around planting trees after a fire

Yes they do.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

cheetah7071 posted:

I just looked this up and you're right. That's pretty dumb given that regen is basically never a problem except in areas where climate change means a forest will never grow there again
Yes, I've worked in wildland fire, and you're wrong in countless ways. Burned Area Response Teams are critical to stabilizing the environment and burn area and preventing further ecological damage due to erosion, soil chemistry composition, nutrient deprivation, invasive species...

But hey, at least you got this part right!

cheetah7071 posted:

but on the other hand that's super far down the list of dumb forest service fire policy

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

xrunner posted:

Grocery stores want to be tax exempt because you see any tax on a grocery store is a hidden sales tax on groceries. It really is that stupid.

https://www.opb.org/news/article/oregon-sales-tax-groceries-ballot-measure-initiative/

https://ballotpedia.org/Oregon_Ban_Tax_on_Groceries_Initiative_(2018)

Or less dismissively: in 2016 grocery stores used the hidden sales tax argument to defeat a corporate tax hike. It was a very successful if dishonest strategy and they determined that they can use the same argument to get a huge break from future taxes on revenue from selling food so Walmart and Kroger are going for the prize.

Hot take: Walmart and Fred Meyer aren't grocers. They are retail stores that have a grocery section.

Is Target a grocer because they sell milk, a few frozen dinners and an anemic assortment of vegetables?

Honest question: Why are they seeking a constitutional amendment to prohibit sales taxes on grocers if sales tax is already prohibited by the Oregon constitution? Are they literally making the argument that the taxes on alcohol, tobacco and gasoline are prohibitively expensive to their businesses?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

whomupclicklike posted:

what the gently caress are you talking about Fred Meyer doesn't sell very much other than groceries
e: my roommate saw me post this and apparently the one fred meyer I went to isn't typical

I would (and will) make the argument that the average Fred Meyer is 35% Home & Garden, 30% Apparel, 20% Consumer Goods, 10% Grocery, 5% Misc. by square footage. I'm not convinced that based on my own recognition bias that square footage == sales, but I absolutely would put them in the same bucket as Safeway, Albertsons, Grocery Outlet, WinCo.

My experience (growing up) who's family shopped at Fred Meyer, their grocery section(s) were an afterthought and perhaps that's biased by the fact that the two nearest ones to me (again growing up) underwent pretty heavy remodeling to expand their grocery/produce section(s).

I've always associated them with the Black Friday FRED MEYER Sock Sale, or the place you go to buy patio furniture. Not the place you buy ears of corn or a cut of meat for a Sunday roast. :shrug:

SeaborneClink fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jun 10, 2018

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

KingFisher posted:

Apodments aren't supoosed to be "affordable housing" they are entry level market rate housing units for people dont need all of the features of a studio or 1br.

Ah yes, such bourgeoisie features such as:

• a shower
  • an appliance with which to prepare hot food
  • a bed AND a chair

You know where else you can fit a twin bed and a toilet? A converted walk-in closet.

"What's the big issue, it has a door you can close while you're inside."
:goonsay:

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Can anyone explain to me how we're fitting 12,000 sqft 6 bedroom, 5 bathroom, 4 car garage with swimming pool + back yard for the dogs & kids, McMansions on 2,500 sqft lots in downtown Seattle.

Admittedly it's been a while since I've been up there and maybe with the viaduct coming down there's a lot more viable real estate now? But I don't recall y'all's city blocks being much larger than the ones in Portland or SF.

Or perhaps are we just using words because we like the way they sound for hyperbole and arguing in bad faith? :laugh:

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

quote:

The man killed by police had been involved in a shooting that left two other men wounded, according to police.

Haunsperger didn't say how many officers were involved. Police said they recovered a gun at the scene, and closed off several streets downtown.

An officer reported to dispatch that someone was down and bleeding from the hip area at Third and Stark, and medical was called to respond.

Later, a private car dropped off two gunshot victims at Legacy Emanuel Medical Center. One of the victims was wounded in the chest and went into surgery, according to police.

A suspect involved in a multiple victim shooting immediately prior.

Edit: In case my position from previous postins isn't clear, it's still ACAB.

SeaborneClink fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Oct 1, 2018

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Is vote talk over so we can get back to agreeing ACAB?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
While in Washington County an emergency alert broadcast went out.

quote:

911 are down, please call 360-693-3111

A Clark County (Washington) number

:buddy:

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

punk rebel ecks posted:

Got the alert not long ago as well. So I assume The Purge is real now?

If they directing people to call a Vancouver number? Undoubtedly. :killing:

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Ajit Pai has threatened to launch an investigation into the outage. It's nice to have such a consumer focused chai-ahahahahahahahahaha

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I went to QFC at midnight because gently caress that poo poo.

Trip report:

IN CASE THE POWER GOES OUT, I NEED A SHITLOAD OF BEEF, RIGHT?

You just put it in the snow bank next to the grill ya dummy :smuggo:

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Tim Eyeman doesn't deserve a seat at any table, let alone his own funeral

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
If a mod gasses this thread is that no-cause or for-cause eviction of everyone that thought they had posting rights in perpetuity ITT?

Lowtax is an internet property owner and the mods are enabling him to continue extracting 10bux :thermidor:

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Goodwill is a morally reprehensible organization that takes advantage of disabled people and pays them literal pennies on the dollar. Please don't support lovely faux-charities.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Her statement about having to pick up this as a side gig in order to "make ends meet for her family" is certainly :dafuq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
The median salary in the state is $77k. She got $10k/mo from that deal. What a stupid way to throw away a political career.

She certainly wasn't going to food pantries, churches or dumpster diving to put food on the table like a non-insignificant amount of families making less than $77,000/yr in the state.