Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Thanks for the new thread, OP.

Now on to the real questions that plague our region. Why does Oregon (and Portland specifically) have so many strip clubs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

I was gonna say it's because OR knows how to party and WA is like the dad state.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Goddamnit

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

The idea of Portland and the surrounding area being a progressive wonderland is a pretty interesting one. Coming from a deeply conservative area, what I constantly call out isn't the "tolerance" of Portland or the neat things, but the systemic things that make Portland more progressive than South Carolina. Most of these things have to do with making legislative and municipal choices focused on an idea of collectivization vs. individualism.

For example: Bus drivers are unionized. Public transportation is prioritized (even if it isn't perfect and doesn't go to places where it needs to) higher than private transportation, revenue generation tends to be favored over decrease in taxes (although this seems to be fading).

Social progressiveness is a different beast. For what it's worth, I do find Portland to be more socially progressive than SC was - but it isn't consistent across the board. There are at least more places for Homeless folks to try to get help, and there are some programs, but it's not enough. Plus, the lack of black people means it's hard to gauge just how progressive our population is, and just how deep that goes. My feeling is that, like most of the rest of the country, Racism out here is still deeply ingrained. I mean, I know that's the fact where I actually live (which is pretty rural).

I really don't think we are any more enlightened than SC though. For some reason, though, collective policies have won out here, and LGBT are considered part of the community.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

seiferguy posted:

I've been trying to look for it, but there was an article / opinion piece ran in the Seattle Times after a major tragedy (I think the Charleston church shooting?) where the author basically patted himself on the back and said something to the effect of "other cities need to be like us when it comes to racial diversity." It kind of speaks to the mentality that we think we're all great at race relations because lynching didn't start here. Seattle and Portland has real racial issues, but I'd say they're different from the ones in the South.

They seem to be crimes of omission and just forgetting about the population, rather than outright "gently caress you" of the South.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

anthonypants posted:

It was mentioned briefly but a few years back we had a cop in Portland who built a shrine dedicated to Nazis in a public park, and then when he was eventually removed he sued the city and won, and the mayor signed a letter of apology to him and officially had all mentions of wrongdoing removed from his record.

Woah really? Which episode of Portlandia talked about that.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Are we seriously comparing Oregon to The South in terms of how racist they are? They're both loving racist as hell. The only reason Oregon didn't have systemic racist institutions is because:

1. Slavery was the most useful in manpower-intensive operations such as rice, cotton growing.
2. Slavery was the most accepted in the earlier parts of the US' history, when Oregon wasn't even settled by white people.
3. Oregon didn't have massive farms requiring thousands of workers, and when it did have manpower-intensive operations slavery wasn't super accepted.
4. Oregon was settled, in part, by people who believed in a white utopia. They purposefully excluded even free blacks.
5. This all led to Oregon having very few black people in the 1940s-60s, when much of the south was busy practicing separate but equal.

I would be willing to put money on segregated everything here if there had been a large enough black population in that point in time. As it was, Oregon did a pretty drat good job of segregating out the Asian population without explicitly defining ghettos.

That being said, the Modern Portland we know and love right now is very weird. There's a feeling of awareness that we treat minorities badly as a nation, but this doesn't seem to translate into Modern Portland being on the forefront of race relations. There's underlying racism vs. the Hispanic/Latino population (asians seem to be somewhat accepted), and we have a higher-than-average amount of white supremacists when you get out of the city.

But where Portland does excel is in LBGTQ relations, which is focused on right now. I'd contest this is because of the concept of coming out of the closet. LBGTQ people were always in our families and friend groups (even for religious and conservative people), they just hid. Now that they're not hiding, everyone is realizing they were always part of the community. Some places, like the South, where religion holds sway, are fighting back against this and trying to explain it away as mental illness. For the most part, Portland seems to not be influenced heavily by religious institutions and is instead accepting those people (although trans folks not as much as LGBT folks).

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Eimi posted:

In what ways does Portland lag behind in acceptance of trans people? I've always thought of the PNW as the closest to a left area in America, and I'm currently trying to save up to move there from the Midwest. I'm also trans so it's an issue I'd love to hear your take on. (Also your last statement had me giggle a bit, we are the T in LGBT)

I have to admit I'm a bit ignorant on the trans stuff, since I don't have any close friends who are involved in it. Or if I do, they just suffer quietly. So I may, in fact, be talking out of my rear end.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

anthonypants posted:

If you want to spend a lot of money on fancy donuts you should check out Blue Star. Here's an article about what it's like to work at Voodoo. Keep Portland Weird!

Yeah if I want a top dollar Luxury Donut I'll go to Blue Star. They're really good. If I want an average donut I'll go to Heavenly or something.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Some fun Portland facts, a must read for anyone who's only lived here for 3 years or less!

We were a town who's entire industry revolved around sailors which meant prostitutes, booze, violence, drugs, and slavery. Things don't get tremendously better from this point forward.

Oregon hated black people and even after they were let into the state they were legally barred from living in Portland. We threw them out to live in their very seperate-but-terrible city of Vanport, which eventually grew to be the second largest city in the state. They even had public transit lines so they could come serve us as cheap labor! Vanport was built right on the river in temporary buildings, and was utterly destroyed in a flood. Only 15 people were killed, a miracle right! Wrong, because since the city of Portland had built the levy that was supposed to protect the town, we were publicly embarrassed, so we only counted how many white people were killed. How many blacks died? Who knows!

The public shaming that followed forced us to loosen our segregated housing laws, so we basically forced all the black people into a new neighborhood that they largely built themselves on the banks of the Willamette. This neighborhood was later bulldozed so we could move the freeway across the river from downtown, once more uprooting Portland's black community.

We used to have an entire section of the city where Japanese Americans settled, it was there for a long time. Then WW2 happened and we were so stoked to oppress these minorities that we actually started deporting our Japanese people a full week early from the required date. Then we ran full page spreads that proclaimed PORTLAND OREGON: AMERICA'S FIRST JAP FREE CITY!

All the confiscated buildings we stole from those filthy japs eventually went to poo poo because nobody wanted to own or live in them (mostly due to the dubious legality of the situation) so the whole neighborhood nosedived, eventually becoming the Old Town we actively avoid today! Then we renamed Old Town to Chinatown because Chinatowns were super chic at the time and we couldn't very well name it Japantown because then everyone would know of all the embarrassing racist poo poo we did and we can't have that because we're quite progressive you see.

Also you're not allowed to have rap concerts and our cops shot/tazed/beat so many mentally ill people that the state literally had to sue them to get them to stop they didn't stop though :ssh:

So with all this great history it's just super that everyone loves Portlandia, haha put a bird on it

Good christ. This is amazing. Any sources for this crap? I wanna read more about how awful we were to black people.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Can't be racist when there aren't any black people around, right?!??

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

I like this one better, it has less graphs.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

anthonypants posted:

I promise to never close this thread in a fit of rage :toxx:

Your graphs are crap

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

I'm convinced.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

What changed Civil Rights more: the LA Riots or King's peaceful protests that turned into Riots?

Trick question, it was calm white people explaining things calmly.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

xrunner posted:

Oh yeah. I thought he was referring to the post election ones. Didn't realize anything had really gone down yet. I'm probably heading downtown within the hour. Has anything even started yet?

Yea, flag burning contest.

http://www.portlandmercury.com/blogtown/2017/01/20/18803661/the-mercurys-live-updates-from-portlands-trump-inauguration-protests

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

He had to go to work.

Republicans in America: complaining that Obama took away all the jobs so they're all too busy at their jobs to protest.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

anthonypants posted:

Have you heard about Right 2 Dream Too yet?

I keep seeing that as I walk around. What exactly is it? Looks like a shanty town or something.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

anthonypants posted:

Way back in the day, that location used to be an adult bookstore, but the city tore it down for code violations. The landowner decided that he could get back at the city by allowing homeless to camp there. Right 2 Dream Too was subsequently threatened with lawsuits from the city, and they told the city to gently caress off. Eventually the city relented. The city still wants them to leave because it's unsightly etc. (see also our attempts at a sit-lie ordinance) but they are doing an increasingly pisspoor job of actually finding a viable location. The first one that I'm aware of was under an overpass, but it was too close to the Pearl District (which, if you're unfamiliar with Portland, is the rich white snobbery part of the city) and some tenant association got hugely pissed off at the city so the city decided it couldn't be there. There've been a few other places, but they've never turned out for one reason or another. They've been at that spot on Burnside for around five years, and the city's still spending time and money vacillating over what they're going to do. In spite of everything, the city still believes that the camp needs to move.

Ah, so it's a homeless camp with a rich history of saying "gently caress you" to Portland. I can kind of get on board with that. FWIW it seems well run, and has never bothered me at all. That area is where Central Concern is and such anyway, so it's probably a reasonable location for people that need to be able to have services and food in walking distance. It'd be nice if it could be a proper shelter though, with room for way more people.

Is there any sort of organization that oversees it?

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

anthonypants posted:

They're like a self-governing entity, and considering how much people don't hear about it, I'd say they do a good job.

Yeah, I'm thinking its one of their goals to fly under the radar and let people just live in peace.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

oxbrain posted:

It's the only win for the Democrats, so they'll make as much of it as they can.

You know, rather than actually doing anything meaningful.

What the gently caress can they even do? The Republicans hold every branch of government right now by a majority, and most State governments. And Republicans are using legislative tricks to keep filibusters at bay - they learned that from 8 years of having the Democrats do that to them.

We may be a numerically larger group of people, but that doesn't mean poo poo in electoral elections or gerrymandered districts.

Hell, we had one of the most massive marches in history and literally nothing came out of it.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Javid posted:

My only interaction with the portland police was them having a MAX train held at the station for the half a loving hour it took them to actually get there because a dude had a knife. Not like, was brandishing, literally a sheathed knife on his belt, standing on the train staring at the wall like everyone else on board. Nothing about that whole experience wasn't absurd.

I saw a really pretty girl po-po sitting in her car in a parking lot. I think she was just writing a report or something. I said "Hi, I know there's a lot of poo poo going on but I hope you have a good day." because it was a couple of days after the election.

That's my portland police story.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Mr. Lobe posted:

I guess but make no mistake they're still you're class enemies unless you rich

Doesn't mean that I can't be nice to a fellow human being who is likely to have a really lovely time of it for awhile.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

xrunner posted:

I don't advocate outright rudeness, but kindness and appreciation just helps them create their whole "the good citizens who I protect love me - it's too bad there are bad ones out there who need to be crushed." They need cold shoulders, shuns, and shaming.

Yeah that's fair. On the flip side, being unkind to them makes them feel like the world is out to get them and that the only people who respect and understand them are the other cops around them.

The correct answer is for me to be black and/or disheveled and/or angry looking and incredibly nice.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

anthonypants posted:

A popular symbol in police iconography is "The Thin Blue Line". It is a blue horizontal line across a black field. The significance of this image is to show that cops are the only thing that separates the Good People from the Bad People. It makes no attempt at defining which side is Good or Bad; the only things it distinguishes are Cops and Not Cops.

A variant of this image is where the horizontal blue line takes up one of the white stripes in the US flag. The red and blue colors have been changed to black. White stars and stripes remain white. There is still a prominent distinction between Cops and Not Cops, but this time some of the Not Cops are also white. As the blue line takes up a white stripe, it reinforces the idea that Cops are white.

I know the symbolism well. I worked with a police force for about 6 months, in a rather large city. And I studied policing as my BS in college, and at the time most of the research ongoing into policing was around Community policing. So the divide between police/community was super well explored.

That's why I know that if the community just gives police a cold shoulder, they'll look to each other for support. It's what happened during the "Professional Policing" period in the 80s, and resulted in the police being separate from the communities they are supposed to serve. Because po-po see their job as super stressful and hideous and they think no one respects them (even though they're wrong).

If you press me for what the "right answer" is, it'd be "Bring back a focus on community policing" and "eliminate # of arrests as a metric" and "increase de-escalation training budgets and limit access to firearms while on duty".

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

anthonypants posted:

*extremely liberal voice* Actually I watched the first two-thirds of Serpico and it was based on a true story and that means there are still good cops

The only realistic portrayal of cops is in C.O.P.S..

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Mr. Lobe posted:

No actually the Keystone Kops is the most accurate portrayal.

Also good

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

generic one posted:

JFC this is the PNW thread, we should be smoking some legal weed and talking about local issues instead of whatever this national election doom-posting thing is. There are already threads for that.

Also, sorry if I’m stepping on anyone’s toes here, but I mostly wanna get back to talking about Tim Eyman’s failed runs or how Loren Culp is going to eat poo poo next week.

let's talk about dory boats. they're great, right? how they ZOOM right up onto shore and people have to dive for cover

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Oscar Wild posted:

Tough to say. There seems to be a lot of grassroots support for Sarah, but that is probably just my bubble. I expect Ted to win, but I am hoping I'm wrong.

Well if the middle aged white woman in Walmart in St Helens whose son is joining the Marine Corps is any indicator, Sarah is "Crazy" and will destroy Portland so I hope she does not win.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

the guy in the fastener department at parkrose hardware told me that he 'has to vote for ted because that woman who is running against him is full-blown antifa' so who loving knows

fwiw this was said well before those mailers went out.

the HORROR

from the way this woman was talking I fully assumed Sarah to actually be a 64 foot monster that would smash downtown with fire breath

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Ehh the aftermath of general is going to be a thing here. I’m expecting to see militia types again where I live, no matter how it goes.

the only militia type I regularly see right now is a dude who has to use his grocery cart like a walker. I'm not terrified of him

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Everyone should be like me. Find the guy with the most trump poo poo on the block and leave him a nice little note letting him know he can borrow your trash can for a couple weeks after election if he needs a place for all the trump flags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

no i believe you'll find that I'm offering some neighborly love