Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

turn it up TURN ME ON posted:

But where Portland does excel is in LBGTQ relations, which is focused on right now. I'd contest this is because of the concept of coming out of the closet. LBGTQ people were always in our families and friend groups (even for religious and conservative people), they just hid. Now that they're not hiding, everyone is realizing they were always part of the community. Some places, like the South, where religion holds sway, are fighting back against this and trying to explain it away as mental illness. For the most part, Portland seems to not be influenced heavily by religious institutions and is instead accepting those people (although trans folks not as much as LGBT folks).

In what ways does Portland lag behind in acceptance of trans people? I've always thought of the PNW as the closest to a left area in America, and I'm currently trying to save up to move there from the Midwest. I'm also trans so it's an issue I'd love to hear your take on. (Also your last statement had me giggle a bit, we are the T in LGBT)

Eimi fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU