Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
It's all about the donut shop at 72nd and ne sandy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Heavenly is bad a lot of the time, I really like Annie's donut shop on sandy near 82nd.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Yee

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I'm nervous for tomorrow as I have some 70yo+ friends attending and I don't think they are expecting anything other than a peaceful march.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
My only problem with the bike town thing is the lack of helmets and people who don't ride bikes in a city having no idea how to interact with traffic or what good bike routes are through town.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Drove through the gorge today, Cascade locks is really on fire and the smoke was crazy. 84 closed from Hood River to exit 32, rerouted to 14 all the way to 205. Trees were throwing 50' towers of fire and the smoke was blotting out the sun.

The fire season this year has been nuts with the BC fires, Montana is on fire, Idaho is on fire, the chetco is on fire, now the gorge is on fire.

The gorge fire was human caused, some idiot with bottle rockets at punchbowl falls on eagle Creek. That's one of my favorite places, I'm going to be real sad seeing the damage this fall.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017

SeaborneClink posted:

Again, it's not a volume problem.

According to today's morning NWCC rollup there have been 1,762 fires (814 human, 109,699 acres; 948 lightning, 332,550 acres) so far in OR YTD; In 2015 there were a total of 2,588 fires for 685,809 acres. So I believe what you actually meant to say, is actually 'the proximity of fires to major metropolitan areas is .... ??' Inconveniencing? Made me aware that this happens all over the state & region every year but I've never really been cognizantly aware of it until I could see it from my own house?

:confused:

Out of sight out of mind I guess. Thousands of people lose their livelihood as well as many of them their homes and possessions as well, sadly these are only featured, at best, as a 30-60 second clip in the news as a "WILDFIRE UPDATES ACROSS THE STATE" because they can't just send two camera crews and a reporter 30 minutes up I-84 to drive around in the middle of the night on SR-14 to provide 'Live Breaking Coverage of DARK ROADS AT NIGHT and a faint smudge of orange on a hillside'

I also find everyone panicking about BAN FIREWORKS to be sadly amusing and depressing at the same time. :(

Do you have acrage amount compared to yearly averages for other states? I tried to find info on the nwcc site and wasn't having much luck. Is there a resource for fire info in BC?

I brought up the eagle Creek fire as it's a little more relevant for posters, but hasn't Montana burned more than a million acres so far this year?

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Anyone have any thoughts on how Oregon is doing? Seems like a weird combo of not many cases but spotty testing and reporting and not much of a trend downwards so far.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Yeah I've been doing all my outdoor stuff on blm land and getting gas at home before I go. Wonder what happened where everyone decided to go out (other than weather).

In Oregon they announced limited opening starting on the 15th based on some criteria so who knows how that'll go. New cases are starting to climb again and haven't meaningfully gone down since this all started, but I guess it's time to reopen rural Oregon.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Gov. Brown's plan sounded pretty good when she announced it (100k tests to assess undiagnosed spread, contact tracing, limited reopening county by county, etc.) But it appears there has been no action on this plan which is frustrating, and new cases are starting to go back up.

Can't wait for all the rural counties to open, people to run out there from the metro area and cases to sky rocket and parks to close for another 3 months. I just want to go out in the woods with my roommate and not worry about all our usual access points being closed and worrying about tickets.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I love all these reasonable plans and requirements for reopening just getting thrown out the window immediately when nothing has changed. Oregon never did their 100k random tests, no longer need to hire contact tracers (just show you CAN), no longer need number to be below a limit. Just open back up.

I've been staying away from one of my favorite places in klickitat county for this whole time to avoid travel and spreading this poo poo and right as things could be getting better it's going to kick off again in rural areas.

This is dumb and I'm over it.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I was at the protest in PDX last night at the justice center but left early due to previous experience with getting stuck on the east side from staying late. I left a little after 8 when the smoke bombs started coming out to push people back into the park.

What's a good way to stay in touch with what's going on? I'm not done protesting but feel like I don't know where to find info on what's going on these days.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Anyone know of good, well sourced articles on the PPD being a bunch of shitheads? People at work are actually listening about this stuff and so many have always been passively on the side of the police unaware of their abuse and it would be nice to have good evidence to back up my point. I did some quick googling and couldn't find anything.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
The PDX protests may be hosed as well. I don't know who was organizing, but big cop energy. Asking for us to 'leave a name and number if you want to speak next time' and to 'pull your mask down so we know who is out here fighting for us'. Either they are painfully naive (note that I am brand new and know these are not what you do) and innocent, painfully naive and collaborators who think they are doing the right thing, or full on cop plants. I don't know anyone (again, new) but rumblings on Twitter is that no one from PDX blm established players know any of these people.

We marched chanting no justice, no peace but when the police started gassing protestors down the street we held our hands in the air and switched to 'peace-ful pro-test'. I do not understand how you march miles for justice but put your head down and stay in the box the police have you when you have injustice just down the street.

To a crowd of thousands who marched in the middle of a pandemic they told us the most important thing to do was vote. I was not aware I could vote to abolish the police, but apparently we like the police, we just need black queer knees crushing a more representitive sample of necks instead of white knees crushing black bodies.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017

Space Gopher posted:

Remember when he was threatening to send the Army and National Guard into Seattle and Portland to blow away protesters, and then it turned into a few federal cop assholes mostly restricted to standing behind a fence at a courthouse and lighting off tear gas grenades? Still incredibly bad, but not anything like what he wanted to do.

Ell oh ell

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Because it's the wfh class that's gonna get disenfranchised this time and trump is keeping them from brunch

E: it's still not gonna matter because they're a bunch of bootlickers but that's why they care

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Yeah I was specifically talking about myself and everyone I work with who gets paid a lot to do almost nothing and who wouldn't shut up about Harris's shoes and who only care about trump because our european colleagues won't stop making fun of them for having a lovely president, who think that biden will erase the roni and who support blm but hope all the people protesting go to jail, but if you saw yourself and your friends in 'wfh bootlickers' then maybe you should take a look at yourself lmao

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Do I vote out of spite or optimism?

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
It's weird how many culp signs don't have a trump sign with them, but all the trump signs have a culp sign.

This is based on some recent time on the OP and rural klickitat/yakima/lewis counties mostly.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
If Portland won't count write ins by name unless total write ins win, how does that effect polling? Is Raiford on polls?

Maybe the undecided portion is like me, deciding to vote my conscious and write in Raiford or keep tgt out and vote Ianaronne even though she's boring as poo poo and will probably only be not-tgt, but that actually is something.

gently caress!

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Quote day day saying we should go shoot them first you budass mouthbreather.

Good to see your ability to talk past people and ignore real life in favor of your imaginary world extends to this topic as well.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
We have four more years of ted because people voted for him, not because people voted for someone else or didn't vote hth.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Just gonna Kramer in here and say if Raiford got 13% as a write in she was clearly the better more electable candidate and it's actually Iannarone voters who caused tgt to get elected by voting for a milquetoast white lady and vote shaming and if they had just held their noses and voted for the better option we wouldn't be here.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I thought she didn't run and that's why no one should have voted for her though

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017

Eggnogium posted:

Really? As compared to Wheeler?

Oh wait no, you’re either still on square one where you either don’t understand the basic mathematical rules of FPTP elections or believe in accelerationism. In either case, I’m too tired to bother.

not being right doesnt mean someone is left hth

and yes please take your ball and leave

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
moron, reporting for duty!

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Mingus the dingus won too right?

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
This whole voting this is bullshit

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Mingus Mapps more like this dingus is crapps! *Sharp nose exhale*

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I wish idaho was filled with better people because it's a loving fantastic place but drat it's got some cranks

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I think a reasonable compromise would have been to allow limited capacity in person stuff where you can be masked 100% of the time like haircuts/retail/Togo to keep people getting paid if the gov can't, but yeah bars/in person dining (indoors or out) is dumb as hell.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
So oregon put out a workforce covid outbreak list recently and apparently correctional facility outbreaks count as a workplace even though I imagine it's mostly the incarcerated and not the guards who are sick.

WTF is this poo poo other than a poor attempt to cover up how bad covid is in jail? The three largest outbreaks are all jails jfc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017

Thanatosian posted:

Prisoners aren't people in the U.S.

Yeah I'm just surprised they (assumedly) groups prisoners and guards into the same workplace outbreak. Seems like you'd not report prisoner sickness unless you absolutely had to, hell I'm surprised they're even in the same reporting system.