Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Granted I am not an expert and I rely on other people to do science for me, but this is the first I've heard about that not being a consensus about how tectonic plates work.

Just to calibrate here, how does that rank on the scale of unsettled science as compared to things like "there's not a consensus on climate change"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Javid posted:

It's my understanding that a lot of companies are sending those out despite it not being required currently, so it doesn't actually mean anything yet. I've been considering making one on my business letterhead since it would have about as much legal force and is about as likely to matter.

I love how Oregon wants to send everyone "non-essential" home, but we still have to have an extra redundant person finish their cigarette and walk over to touch the gas dispensers before we can buy gas. 48 other states manage without that guy and we're already unemploying people en masse for t h e g r e a t e r g o o d, but not the single least essential possible position it is currently possible to be employed in

Safety!
I have a friend who works for a medical testing lab and this is on all their badges. I don't think it has any legal weight but sure would be convenient to flash around though.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Mr. Dick posted:

Oregonians, please to be signing petition

https://yesonip34.org/sign-the-petition/

Are you involved with this campaign or just spreading the word? If it's the former, I would love to chat with you about this online form and what legal hoops you needed to jump through to set it up.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
I met Lee at a fundraiser for universal preschool and he seemed pretty genuine. I don't have major problems with Blumenauer but I don't mind challenging him from the left one bit.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

3rdEyeDeuteranopia posted:

Watch for flying apples.

He's back.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Oregon elections aren't looking great. The most progressive candidate for Portland City Commissioner is in 4th place, Wheeler might win outright tonight, and the dem Secretary of State Primary is ever so slightly going against the union backed candidate. Could be a lot worse but an incumbency/establishment advantage amidst the Covid crisis seems clear.

It's looking like Wheeler is pulling in just below 50%, so it's runoff time.

Bummed about SoS though. :smith:

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Cross-posting from the Oregoons thread:

wizzardstaff posted:

Multnomah County goons, if you haven't completely thrown up your hands in despair at electoral politics there's a campaign I'd like to direct your attention toward. Universal Preschool Now is a ballot initiative to fund preschool tuition for everyone--no means testing--and guarantee an $18/hr minimum wage for childcare workers, paid for by taxing the rich.

During a pandemic you can't really stand on the street corner or walk up and down the MAX to get people to sign, but the law still requires ink on paper and won't accept digital signatures. But you can still sign from home! Go to the link below to print out a form which you can mail back or return to a drop box. If you don't have a printer then they'll mail a form to you.

Due to legal fuckery from the Portland Business Alliance, the window to qualify for the ballot is extremely short--all signatures must be received by the end of June. So please sign now and tell all your friends.

https://upnow2020.org/sign

Someone in that thread wanted to know what "taxing the rich" really means; in this case it's a 3.9% marginal tax on incomes over $165k. Full details of the plan are here: https://upnow2020.org/plan

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Congratulations Seattle, you did it.

https://twitter.com/katrinabhaydon/status/1271599728556376069

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Portland Tribune posted:

The numbers tell a story, but not the whole story: 87 straight nights of protest on the streets of Portland, 23 more arrested Sunday night and nearly 20 riots declared over the past three months.

For Greg Goodman, co-president of the Downtown Development Group, there are other numbers that tell a deeper, even more disturbing story: the number of businesses that are moving out of or locating outside the central district of Portland.

Yup, the number of arrests and the number of businesses closed, that's the whole story, nothing more to see. No more numbers that might be relevant to anything.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Wait, Bezos notwithstanding, what's the problem with Montessori?

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Say what you will about Ted Wheeler but at least he'll make the unlawful assemblies run on time.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

portland local measures- going pretty well!
portland local races- wow i loving hate liberals!

:same:

Pretty stoked about preschool and psilocybin though. Not at the same time, of course. Ha ha.... unless....? 😳

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Gerund posted:

Got denied in court after they blew up on the runway:

It's a little unfair to compare signature collecting in Portland to the rural areas where this would be popular, but on the other hand universal preschool got 100 times that many signatures in four weeks so it's definitely possible to do a little more diligence, even in a pandemic.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

The Oldest Man posted:

So did they admit that he was the one who leaked that police report to the local right wing psychos or are they just glossing over exactly what the mistake was precisely in the hopes this just goes away like everything related to cops inevitably does because there is no way to hold them accountable for anything?

They are very pointedly not saying what the mistake was, even to Wheeler.

https://twitter.com/tessriski/status/1371973445177643014

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Turns out that the thin blue line is right next to a thin pink one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Based on the comments it sounds like this is 12th-dimensional chess to expose the widespread illegal ballot harvesting tactics perpetrated by the Democrats. Good luck with that, buddy.