Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

therobit posted:

Growing up here I can't tell you grow many bienniums we had both massive cuts to schools and also a kicker check because of the moronic way the kicker law works.

The PERS debacle is pretty bad. A lot of those workers (mostly boomers) had more generous retirement packages in exchange for not getting pay raises or market rate wages, and they were part of deals negotiated with the public employee unions.

At the same time the whole system is broken. I think what really hammered us is allowing people to retire at 52 and begin drawing benefits right away. That was a key part of how Washington fixed their system. Another issue was investment accounts with guaranteed returns, which never should have been offered. We waited so long to fix it that the unfunded liability is huge.

Oregon schools got the largest funding increase in history last year or the year before and yet they are making huge cuts to classrooms. They just plays badly tipp the electorate. I think the state needs to be eating the difference, and may need to make cuts elsewhere instead.

My feeling is that the state got the benefit of not paying higher wages for all those years so they can drat well eat the cost, but it is going require additional taxes (probably a sales tax) to fix.

A good long term project would probably be taxes being unified across the coast states (should be whole country but I dont think we could get it done in presently red states)

Theres always this idea of free market place of ideas nonsense but we have some structural issues to address if we're going to make it through the next 100 years.

Personally i think GST sounds like a plausible fix.

RuanGacho fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

The Puppy Bowl posted:

While the kicker is awful and I want it to die it's still a tax rebate that actually gets to real people. A much more egalitarian idea would be to simply tax business and corporate profit in the state at even baseline sane levels. Nike and Intel have legislatively established crazy tax policy for themselves. https://www.oregonlive.com/politics/2018/11/power_play_nike_takes_a_big_ro.html?outputType=amp

Far more importantly, there is no underfunding crisis with PERS! Our current 71% funding figure is for all the pensions that have been earned today. As in, if every single public employee retired today. Which of course is not even possible. Nobody would miss a single pension check until around 20-30% funding. It's also an issue that is solving itself. The tier 1 employees are old and we arent making any more of them. Haven't been for nearly 20 years.That means that those with the most generous benefit are dying off. If we simply targeted 100% funding for a 40 yr timeframe instead of a 20 year timeframe we would have more than enough money to address an actual crisis of underfunding in our school system.

This mess is just more conservative philosophy masquerading as economics. Oh, we can't take money from the job creators so we have to gut unions, education, and public services. No worries, we can just privatize everything and the market will fix it all.

Yeah i have to admit my initial reaction to the PERS story is "how did you gently caress that up?"

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

https://crosscut.com/2019/03/6-reasons-why-komos-take-homelessness-wrong-one

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

George posted:

The DSA is packed to the gills with Liberals trying to teach the Democrats a lesson without actually pulling them left.

Are the PNW DSA orgs full of centrist types because im glad we beat Rossi but man Schrier stinks hard of decorum and i would not be surprised to learn we have small L libertarians clogging things up.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Heners_UK posted:

Wait, Canadian Residents could avoid tax?! (Previously)

You would walk up to the cashier with a self satisfied aura and declare, "oh I'm from out of state, I don't pay tax" and then the cashier goes through an extra 3 to 5 minute process to input your out of state ID number in the register with a 50/50 chance of a supervisor to need to approve it so you would eventually save $6.30

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

who is going to be the next governor of washington?

any rumors going?

The Angry Spirit of Rainier, unshackled its bonds.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

This is one of about a dozen reasons why we stopped using the goats.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Reasons we got rid of the goats:

• They like to escape
  • They cost around 30-50k a year to clear stormwater facilities
  • They crap in said facilities which is bad for them
  • They can die at random and boy did the neighbors not like that
  • The remote mower you can get for 40K lasts for years and can go at steeper angles than the goats
  • Getting them where they need to be can be a chore
  • The prices keep going up.
  • They got out again
  • They eat everything even the stuff you kind of want to stay there for filtering
  • They damage the fencing and facilities more than machines do
  • Don't look into their demon eyes
  • People want to pet the goats and they belong to someone else oh god why are they out again

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

inkblottime posted:

That's kind of what I was talking about. The west-side has blinders on and I think that is a concern. I've become more conservative with age but I think I'm still left of moderate. Maybe I'm out of touch with the new generation of politics but it seems like it's gotten a lot harder to have a conversation about working as a state instead of sides of an issue without being call a traitor to one side. The tax issue is big in this state but the west-side can more easily afford it so the minority on the east-side have to suffer in silence and throw darts when they can. I-976 feels like a bulls-eye for how our state feels about the current taxation methods. This is just my theory.

The west does not have blinders on, and the fact that you would say so speaks volumes.

If you want to have a conversation dont start with making the people you're unfamilar with an other.

RuanGacho fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Nov 7, 2019

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

As residents of the Pacific Northwest you took an oath to subsist on moss and coffee grounds for two weeks should the need arise and swear to snare bigfoot by summer's end.

Bernie's stance on bigfoot reclamation is yet unknown.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

xrunner posted:

This is so true. Like everything else, your ability to survive a catastrophic but uncertain event is entirely in the hands of how affluent you are and how well you can expect your community to prepare given that you don't necessarily have the means to prepare on your own. As with so many things we've mostly outsourced earthquake prep as an individual responsibility. Kind of sad and gross.

I work in a rather affluent area and we'd love to have the tax revenue to improve our emergency preparedness but this is America.

Right now our goal for the year is that if the major earthquake hits someone will be able to call the feds and state for help.

We have some secured sat phones and not much else.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

gohuskies posted:

I don't think we'll see local governments pulling this, though they might try to get headlines. Franklin County passed a thing about how Inslee's shutdown didn't apply there, it made all the news, then they finally called their lawyer and they quietly repealed it two days later. A couple cities have done the same - passed anti-shutdown resolutions, made the news, then realized they shouldn't actually do that and are open to lawsuits, and repealed it. When the rubber meets the road, counties and cities can have public health restrictions that are stricter than the state, but nobody can be less strict that the state allows. Anybody who tries will get a legal hammer coming their way very quickly.

Laws that are more strict than the state actually have to wait a year to come into force. But your overall point is correct.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

The Oldest Man posted:

Western States Pact was announced three weeks ago and now Inslee is basically the last man standing.

It absolutely sucks too because the chuds won't stop posting poo poo like Adolf Inslee

Thanks for your informative posts.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Solkanar512 posted:

Hey folks, I’m curious if anyone knows what the “Freedom Foundation” is.

My dad is a government employee for a local public works department and is part of a union. Today he received an email from the city HR department that as part of a public disclosure request filing, the city is being ordered to hand over the following:

1. Name
2. City email
3. Bargaining group
4. Birthday/month of all represented employees.

So the HR rep continues on saying that the city filed an injunction to get this stopped but it fails so they’re notifying folks that the info has to be released. They’re also saying that item 4 can be excluded if they can articulate a reason that it would harm their safety.

So this is an effort to bust his union, right? Stemming from that SCOTUS case in the last year or so? Has anyone been through these campaigns? Are they serious or is this just some small time bullshit? Also, what’s up with the last item about birthday/month? I don’t think anyone is going to receive any birthday cards.

Thanks in advance!

I've tried to argue against it for OP SEC but I was basically told that I can hire my own lawyer if I want to fight it.

They pull this data from all public employees and collate it regardless of their union status.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

You're leaving out the worst part where he apparently tortures sexual crime victims

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2020/jul/05/washington-governor-candidate-loren-culp-faces-law/

quote:

After speaking with Moore themselves, Venturo and Culp believed he was telling the truth and decided to interview the victim again. According to the lawsuit, the officers asked the teen “disturbing questions about her personal life, sex life and home life and asked her to provide detailed descriptions of sexual acts engaged in with Roy Moore.”

RuanGacho fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Sep 16, 2020

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

pthighs posted:

I think some local radio person must have been talking about this, because he just started bringing it up a few months ago.

Dor Monson is a plague on the Pacific Northwest and I hope his Seahawks cancelation is the beginning of the end of his right wing bullshit.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Don't worry. They'll find a new guy for you to hate for clickbait.

I get your point but I haven't consumed his content in literally 15 years until I hear about his transphobic tweet and thought "That rear end in a top hat still has a job? JFC Seattle get your poo poo together"

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

BlueBlazer posted:

I could see Inslee in a Biden cabinet. Maybe we'd matter then.

(Still never mattering.)

Inslee just won a bigger electoral mandate than Biden, I don't see him moving unless the bait is positively rapturous.

Like becoming Harris' VP.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

As someone who lives in the region my entire life, Seattle has always struck me as a palace of well meaning hubris.

Work in our city, but dont park here.
Most of this burned down, build on top of it.

Etc.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Old Man yells at bridge?

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

For me, I'd close indoor dining and send health officials into private places secret shopping and people who didn't follow compliance measures just like with Weights and Measures would be liable for it. Fines would be based on % of profit per day per violation. Enforcement pays for itself if you catch even one violation at a major retailor and any small one that day's work. You're not dependent on the sheriff's complying.

Things would change real quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Ahaha, I thought you were kidding Oldest, but she no poo poo does not say why she's not running in an article titled "why I'm not [running]"