Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I think we're gonna see more counties break from states on this stuff. Closures that make sense in Seattle are being forced on places where it is not warranted, and $1200 each is a literal joke if your entire family becomes unemployed. I'd love to see the safety net infrastructure be created to ACTUALLY keep everyone afloat, I just have zero faith in that happening in the next decade, let alone during the duration of the immediate crisis.

The determination for what is and isn't essential is a literal loving joke, which isn't helping. I personally know at least two people currently stuck in severe pain because somebody NOT in severe pain decided their medically prescribed surgeries were "elective"; blanket rules need to give way to actual human oversight or poo poo is going to continue to get ugly wrt big open protests

Javid fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Apr 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

It sure does say that, but people are still being refused procedures on that basis, because ????

At least attempt to meet people's needs halfway, OR actually fund the kind of relief that is required for everyone to be unemployed for however long. I'd sure rather see some states lead by example in loosening SOME restrictions and letting businesses who can safely do so return to normal operation. The most bullshit "essential" business that's open here is a store that sells bong parts and weed stuff, and their net total protective measures are some tape on the floor, and a lot of wiping of surfaces with chemicals sprayed from things. I figure anyplace that can meet those truly lofty standards should be able to be open if they want to be, without somebody whose income is secure forever bravely deciding that their income is an acceptable sacrifice

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

xrunner posted:

I mean, if that was the eventual outcome of no counter measures, it’s the same outcome as inadequate measures. Support for quarantine is going to fall apart fast once it becomes apparent the only bailouts are for airlines and hotels and Boeing. So you’ll just get haphazard reopening as the economic pain becomes too dire, and now you have your worst case anyway but with complete breakdown of trust in institutions on top of it.

Pretty much. The one-size-fits-all blanket restrictions are not sustainable without an actual emergency, which doesn't actually exist in big chunks of the PNW. One county is just the beginning.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I'm confused, are they buying all the food? What is the actual problem, aside from them not taking protective measures that are not actually required at this time?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I'm in rural Oregon. My county has 40ish cases total; 30 of them are currently considered recovered. 1 new case in the last 2 weeks. So, the shutdown worked in our case, but most people feel like it's about time for stuff to start relaxing a bit here.

e: anecdotally, the state tried to close the greenway here. It's the only safe bike route around but because 1/4 mile of it passes through a state park, the state thinks it belongs to them. Their barriers were removed by county LE with cutting tools pretty much immediately, because they need vehicle access to the hobo camps along said greenway. I assume the park is choosing winnable battles rather than butting heads with local authorities, because the barriers have remained down and people are using the path normally.

I have no significant complaints with the park itself closing down, but gently caress you if you expect to shut down the only safe bike path in the entire city

Javid fucked around with this message at 03:04 on May 1, 2020

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

You can support a lockdown as a whole while still having issues with some of the specific nonsensical poo poo that is being shut down or otherwise interfered with.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I wonder how many people are going "gently caress this, I'm not a teacher" and just focusing on the kid's mental health instead of dealing with the hassle described above.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

A restaurant in my town just announced they're reopening this week. :munch:

E: I also learned yesterday that most of the cities here just didn't close the skate parks, people are just keeping their distance and it's fine.

Javid fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 2, 2020

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

No yeah everywhere has been doing that. This place is straight up reopening

I cannot imagine deciding to order diner breakfast to go, they've just been closed entirely so they must agree

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Individual businesses opening might get slapped, but I think we're going to see a lot more of this if governors don't start listening:

MODOC COUNTY DEFIES STATE ORDERS AND ALLOWS SOME BUSINESSES TO REOPEN

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Poorly, I'd imagine

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

quote:

#Portland City Council #PPB budget amendment vote results (all unanimous):

- PPB gun violence reduction team dismantled.
- SRO program eliminated.
- Cannabis tax dollars divested from PPB.
- SERT defunded.
- Transit police defunded.

* 84 positions axed, $15M from PPB budget reappropriated.

Eudaly votes NO on PPB budget overall. She supports the amendments but feels the proposed budget does not go far enough to address activist demands.

Hardesty is also promising further changes such as future cuts and a community oversight board with subpoena power.

Update for clarification (cuz things got a bit confusing towards the end):
Budget is advancing as a non-emergency item. Will be scheduled for a second reading soon where it is expected to pass with a simple majority.

get hosed, trimet cops

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

If I correctly understand the legal mechanisms being used for the mask thing here in OR, it's an OSHA requirement upon the businesses, requiring employees to specifically approach people who aren't wearing masks and hassle them about it.

In reality, this is how you get your 19 year old stockers and cashiers screamed at by angry hicks, so everyplace I've actually been into is just posting the signs and NOT having their employees get involved. Which is reasonable, dumping all that on them is actual bullshit.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Sure, if you actually believe

A) stores will just dutifully call the cops on entire families with children who are grocery shopping
B) the cops will show up to a "person without mask" call and arrest entire families with children who are grocery shopping
C) they won't find reasons to murder people while in the process

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Then it needs to be a lockdown + actual material support for everyone being locked down, so it's sustainable.

part of that is funding the things you're demanding people do, like not work, or buy masks, or buy all the stuff to homeschool. stuff costs money and people are already severely short on funds from the last lockdown. demanding another one without actually making it possible just makes more people hate the state/the lockdowns and not care anymore.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

looking forward to what our new r governor does with that in a couple months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

They mail them ahead of the ballots, so if yours isn't there, you should probably assume it's not coming and figure out who to call about a replacement.

Anecdotally there are about a hundred of them piled everywhere at the post office here, so you might be able to grab one that way