Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

therobit posted:

Unfortunately we probably won’t know about the totals from Clackamas until late in the day. Our horseshit elections clerk decided that they wouldn’t announce totals between like 10 last night and this evening. Luckily one of the few races that is enough of a landslide to call from Clack is said horseshit clerk Sherri Hall losing to McCullen.

Sadly it’s not looking good for Libra Forde but that’s not surprising despite her out-raising Savas. I think I saw like 2 or 3 total signs for her while Savas has a huge network or sign installers and hundreds of people willing to let him out a 4’x8’ sign on their property. The Clackamas County Democrats are just not as organized.

There’s enough uncounted in Multnomah and Washington counties and the margin in Clackamas isn’t dire enough as it currently stands for me to see a path forward for Drazen. Although who knows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Boise’s been growing so fast it must be really weird seeing the institutions struggle to modernize but at least all the SoCal transplants have something familiar to look at when they see the local cops

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

therobit posted:

It gave us this gem of a quote: “The people of San Francisco have spoken loud and clear: There is no place for killer police robots in our city.”

In this house we believe

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Dallas PD exploded a guy with a robot a few years ago, who knew that cops needed explicit authorization to do anything - they just do the thing.

Yeah I think the Dallas situation is the origin, but specifically this all came about because California passed a law requiring local police departments to inventory their military style equipment and draw up regulations for its use

The SF city council’s draft regulations said cops couldn’t use robots for deadly force, SFPD drew a big red line through that requirement, and it blew up from there, with the city council initially looking like they’d bend to the police until I guess probably public pressure got them to reverse

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Ham Equity posted:

It's just about guaranteed that the only reason the SFPD haven't used a robot to murder anyone yet is they haven't had the opportunity, and I doubt this is going to stop them when next the opportunity arises. They probably figured it wasn't worth the fight over something they're just going to do when they want to, anyway.

It’s like the Washington law about high speed pursuits where they got up there and said “this law might prevent us from chasing after a kidnapper and their victim”

Bullshit, everyone knows they’ll just chase whatever they want anyway and let people argue about whether the pursuit was legal after the fact

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

alnilam posted:

That's not how this works at all... you mail the ticket based on the plate, and include the photo so they can push back in the relatively rare case that someone else was driving their car. Places with traffic enforcement cameras have been doing this for ages and there is no facial recognition involved.

These tickets are funny because (at least in Oregon) they ask you to identify the driver so they can send them a ticket instead and it’s heavily implied from the way it’s written and worded that this is required but if you look closely at the fine print it’s not

That said, last one I got was the red light on 99w in Sherwood, and 99% of my car was in the intersection and I thought they had a human review to prevent those ones from getting mailed out

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

https://mobile.twitter.com/portlandmercury/status/1603139324576681984?cxt=HHwWgMDS7Zmuv78sAAAA

quote:

Portland homeless shelter providers were taken by surprise in October when Mayor Ted Wheeler and City Commissioner Dan Ryan unveiled a plan to open several large-scale outdoor homeless encampments across town. Many longtime organizations, several of which already ran outdoor shelters similar to the proposed camps, had expected the city to seek their input in the proposal.

“But no local provider had been consulted,” recalled Andy Miller, director of homeless service nonprofit Our Just Future (formerly Human Solutions). “That just felt strange.”

Instead, email records show a California-based nonprofit with no experience in Oregon played a central role in shaping City Hall’s plan to open outdoor, city-run encampments for homeless Portlanders. The San Francisco shelter operator, called Urban Alchemy, has been in talks with Wheeler’s office since April on bringing their model of outdoor encampments to Portland.

A lot of that sweet sweet non-profit money in homeless concentration camps

quote:

The nonprofit’s budget has grown 500 percent in under two years—and it has no intention of slowing down. According to an Urban Alchemy pamphlet shared with Wheeler’s office, the organization hopes to add three new urban areas to its portfolio by June 2025.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

pseudanonymous posted:

they pay their CEO and COO weirdly low, which is sus, like if they are living in san francisco on 32k and 13k a year they are homeless themselves; so they are probably also drawing a salary from somewhere else or are independently wealthy or something.

That is interesting. My first thought was that it was some amount of non-profit C-suite grift where they’re getting paid big dollars off of public money. Which could still be the case further down the organizational chart but maybe they’re just true believers in human misery

quote:

Urban Alchemy’s approach is notably different from nonprofits operating in Portland.

The organization’s patrol teams routinely partner with local law enforcement to help enforce homeless campsite sweeps, and often work as security guards at encampments, despite not obtaining a state private security license to do so. The company has also been accused of falling short on a promise to offer living wages to its staff—most who’ve experienced homelessness or incarceration—and creating an unsafe work environment.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Getting rid of SROs and the GVRT were the only real changes in Portland to come from months of protests

GVRT was reestablished a while back

Now it looks like SROs are back on the menu too

https://www.koin.com/nwpolitics/ppa-portland-police-union-president-discusses-bringing-school-resource-officers-back-after-shootings/amp/

Honestly it’s infuriating how little the Floyd protest’s accomplished

All that energy and rage and fight and then nothing

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Ham Equity posted:

The only thing that happened in Seattle was they split off parking from the cops, and they're putting them back together now.

So loving frustrating.

Seeing so much righteous anger and energy and enthusiasm come to absolutely nothing is so depressing

I think it was when I realized that mass mobilization was incapable of creating change in the US

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Bar Ran Dun posted:

That’s not correct.

It has to disrupt the functioning of society in a sustained way to create change. Mass mobilizing for a short period can’t create change. It has to meaningfully disrupt society for as long time and create a sustained violent reaction to work.

And my take away from the end result of the Floyd protests was that such disruption is currently impossible. The resources the state has to maintain the status quo by force exceeds any political will to mobilize

Maybe if things get really bad in the upcoming recession that might change but from where I sit currently I’m not hopeful

Regardless, bringing back SROs is disappointing but unsurprising

Lazy_Liberal posted:

down with SROs, up with SROs

(cheap single room occupancy motel places where you used to be able to stay for like $200/wk)

There’s still some around but I’m not sure what they cost these days

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Lazy_Liberal posted:

last time i checked, there were still SROs renting for under $481/mo but there's not enough to meet the need obvi. and waitlists for adorable housing programs are traditionally hell.

Adorable housing programs :blush:

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Posted this in the spam but I think it fits here better

The wonderful blue progressives in Oregon will be appealing an exoneration to the USSC, thus allowing the conservative majority to greatly curtail the ability for federal courts to exonerate the wrongly convicted, over a case where all key witnesses have recanted and the family of the deceased supports the exoneration

https://twitter.com/maxoregonian/status/1586081762723397632

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

What’s the consensus on BM 26-238? Been hearing an awful lot of people bitch about it because it apparently doesn’t have an exemption for home sale proceeds, but that feels pretty unconvincing to me because the proceeds from home sales already get massive tax exemptions

Probably reflexively fill in the yes bubble unless somebody in here can tell me that I’m wrong, I don’t have the energy to really dig into this one

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Oops there goes Shemia Fagan. Consulted on pit and resigned

Gonna miss seeing the pictures with her cringe tattoo

Honestly I’m surprised she resigned though. Who does that anymore? I kind of thought she was going for a governor or senator trajectory but this probably ends that

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Thaddius the Large posted:

Cripes, I really liked her too, super friendly to labor when I was doing union stuff in Salem

I had a mostly positive opinion of to date as well (or as positive as I can feel about any elected political player, they’re all varying shades of bad) but my lord that consulting contract was a very bad look and huge mistake

But also it’s remarkable to me how quickly she resigned. Modern playbook is to grind it out and try to beat the controversy. I’m wondering if there’s more we haven’t seen yet

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Fluffs McCloud posted:

On the one hand, yeah, she's clearly in the wrong. It's a massive conflict of interest, if not outright corruption. Furthermore, I have never made 77k/year in my 20 years of adult(college grad) life, so as measly as that may be I would not expect your average person to have an ounce of sympathy. I understand that public servants are grossly underpaid, but they really hosed up on this one.

An absolutely remarkably tone deaf thing to say, no doubt

$77k/year is probably half if not less what somebody with her degree and connections could expect to make in the private sector, so that’s probably skewing her perspective, but just an absolute ridiculous and tone deaf thing to say

Idk I will say that $77k/year seems very low for an office with the responsibility of SoS but somebody who is going to get on the graft train at $77k/yr is probably still going to get on at $150k/yr

Still, she had a really high ceiling in state politics and I hope that sweet sweet marijuana money was worth giving that all up lmao

But like I said a post or two up, it’s remarkable how quickly she resigned. How many other pols have had equally bad or worse scandals in the last few years and either fought it for months (Cuomo) or just weathered it until the next election with varied result (Loefler and Feinstein). Maybe she just doesn’t have the fight in her, maybe she has a guilty conscience and a sense of shame, maybe it’s even worse than it looks at first blush, idk but it’ll be interesting when a clearer picture emerges

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

yeah, i dont have kids and as a result am woefully unaware of what the associated costs look like especially with a job that requires immense capacity. my point is that perhaps all the WOW $77K A YEAR ID LOVE THAT TYPE OF MONEY WHY CANT SHE JUST FIGURE IT OUT folks arent exactly the best arbiters of fiscal matters

I do think $77k/yr is way too low for that office and I did think Fagan was a really bright spot climbing the OR dem machine, and like I said a few posts back the fact that her degree/connections could easily get her double or more that salary probably clouded her perspective, BUT…

The consulting contract showed an incredible lack of foresight and then complaining about that salary being too low, however valid, was so incredibly tone-deaf and just not reading the room, so even if she had dodged this bullet I think she’s demonstrated that she doesn’t have what it takes to maneuver through the minefield that is public support for elected officials

Maybe she’ll make a comeback in a few years or maybe she’s done, idk, but regardless of her politics, the choices she made are baffling in how obviously bad they’re going to come across in media