Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
They have a suspect in custody.

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/crime/bellevue-mosque-damaged-in-suspected-arson-fire/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

turn it up TURN ME ON posted:

I saw a really pretty girl po-po sitting in her car in a parking lot. I think she was just writing a report or something. I said "Hi, I know there's a lot of poo poo going on but I hope you have a good day." because it was a couple of days after the election.

That's my portland police story.

Great story about talking to a girl. Would read more.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Video is gone. What was it?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Is she trying to steal her gavel?

Local politics own. I need to get a piece of that.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

What do you even wear to differentiate yourself as a medic or a journo?

I'd be worried people would gently caress you up regardless of why you were there.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Wonder if there's a bill that expels rapists. Oh there isn't? Weird.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Jack2142 posted:

Thats part of what I meant? Paying police money to go into these camps and clean them outis a giant waste of resources? Paying the fire department to give Narcon to a transient who OD'd and take him to an emergency room which will release them in a few days to the streets without a treatment programjust burns money and doesnt solve anything. King County sheriffs dropping people off in Seattle so they make it Seattles problems are also hosed up.

How is saving a life "burning money"?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

xrunner posted:

Eh. At this point I think it's fair to stop dog-piling on the guy. He seems to have reevaluated his position and expressed contrition.

Yeah sorry didn't see so many posts. I GOT ALL EXCITED

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

People who poo poo on South Seattle typically have never lived there, don't have any friends who do, and don't work/shop there. They might as well be talking about some other state in a different country.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

You don't need to follow her if enough of your friends already do. I swear every post of hers shows up in my feed that way.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

On the street level in Seattle, fwhat I see happening is single homes being demolished and replaced with one of two options:

1) A new single family home that stretches the limit of what is allowed to occupy the lot. Very little if any yard is left.

2) Anywhere from 6 to 40 units taking the space of the previous house. The high occupancy buildings (re: 40 units) are typically micro housing with common kitchens.

I can think of at least six of these examples that are currently in progress within a mile of my house.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Last stat I heard for Seattle was 2,000 new residents arriving every week.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

therobit posted:

That can't be net.

Yeah I don't believe it included exits. It was on KUOW so take it with whatever spin they put on things.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

In the meantime you do whatever you can to piss off existing home owners so they'll want to leave faster.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I'd rather not re-debate tunnel vs street level highway vs new viaduct again. I'm just glad the tunneling is done and no giant sinkholes appeared on 1st.

Gonna miss that Western Ave off ramp, though. :gonk:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Senor P. posted:

It is basically a non-profit that provides services to the dis-advantaged and also provides a homeless camp, from what I understand.

What happens when more people hear about it, come to Portland, and overwhelm the system?

No they are already caravanning to Freeatle!!!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I don't even know where to start.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Senor P. posted:

You usually don't work 60 or 70 hours a week to have a bunch of people take away your money.

Making 70,000 a year by working 40hours a week compared to working 70 hours a week, is a HUGE god drat difference. (You can have a life working 40 hours a week. If you work 60-70hours a week, you don't have a loving life.)

I also read through the first 5 pages of this thread and there was zero reference to the Right 2 Dream Project. I look at what's on wikipedia. Is that not valid information? Jesus loving Christ, I've been slaving away for the last 2 years and get lambasted for not reading a thread because I did not have internet.

Someone provide me a clear explanation why OT should be taxed the same as straight time?

I hate it when I'm forced to work a 70 hour week at gunpoint. Happens too often.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Sounds like you would benefit from a labor union.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

BrandorKP posted:

Some industries go through demand cycles. That's a real bitch to staff for in the long term. In bad times I do 60 to 80 hours a week. Good times like 30. As long as one gets the good and bad its ok. But the new trend is oh it's slow we are flying you to X for several weeks.

I work in a product testing environment and you better believe that layoffs come on strong when we wrap up testing a specific program.

On the one hand, my union is what gets me the wages & benefits I enjoy that other non-union employees don't get. However, what a union won't do is protect you from getting laid off if you're the new guy.

I like to espouse the benefits of labor unions, but it's pretty frustrating how they protect senior workers who often suck total rear end at their jobs (and they know they can't get fired or laid off so whatever dude I'm taking two naps today).

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

BrandorKP posted:

I once had vessel delayed for a full shift in Baltimore because a night crane operator took a break to have a wank and fell asleep for the rest of the shift. We need more unions and the occasional negative incidents are small in comparison to the benefits they bring to the whole system. The power imbalances when they aren't present are bad for all sides, including manangement.

One thing I noticed after working non-union jobs for my whole life then suddenly taking a union protected job is that unions create a sharp division between the workforce and "the company". However, unless it's a family owned business and you're in the family that owns it, that's how it should be.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Yeah don't you remember that Portlandia skit where the cops came in and bootfucked Fred and Carrie for like the entire episode?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Wages are just a small part of the cost. Think about how much it costs to insure two employees vs one.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Portland is crazy pants on the weekends these days. I'm a huge fan.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

anthonypants posted:

Yeah, but they're homeless, and whenever people see homeless, reports of thefts and other minor crimes go up, and then business owners complain to the media. That's where we're at.

Is there evidence to support the claim that crime reporting goes up when visible homeless populations crop up?

I'm inclined to agree with you but I don't know where to get that data.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I get that you're joking but he's 110% spot on with his assessment.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

seiferguy posted:

I feel like there were a decent amount of Boeing machinists who voted Trump because "globalization bad" and masculinity issues. I doubt we'll ever get a true number but I remember the Seattle Times doing articles on people like that.

I talked to the ones I knew back in 2016 and they all planned to vote Trump. One guy is also known for wearing a gaudy ISIS HUNTER t-shirt to work.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

ElCondemn posted:

Liberals look at me wide eyed any time I make that kind of suggestion in person, they say things like "oh, you're SUPER liberal" like it's an insane thing to not be ok with hundreds of people being killed by police every year.

Like, sure, have them in your car if you are approaching a situation where it might be needed but don't just default to guns out on every stop.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

anthonypants posted:

I am also curious... what?

He misread it as the black guy being the Nazi and not the camera man I think.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

They played the recording on KUOW today. Sounded legit and scary.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Starbucks doesn't use HFCS in any of their products.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Welp wrap it up boys the post its have spoken

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

But his sweat glands powered the region for YEARS

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

What job types are missing that have inconsistent schedules?

IT support or data center technical support. Especially 24x7 operations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I definitely called it Or-uh-gone until I was 16 and I moved to Alaska and got made fun of for saying it that way.

I grew up on the east coast and Michigan before that.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Corny Cornflake posted:

the only Country Cousin that matters is in Centralia.

Protip: order the cheese sticks.

The data center I worked at before my current job hosted their website :3:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

dont even fink about it posted:

Even if it weren't, if you can't pay a living wage to your workers, are you really providing them anything and deserving of existence as a business? For gently caress's sake, $15 is nothing.

The McDonald's next to my house in West Seattle has a sign in the drive-through window from the franchise owner stating that menu prices may be higher than national promotions due to minimum wage requirements in the city.

I'm sitting in my car like "I just got a sack of food for like $10. I can deal."

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Solkanar512 posted:

I heard a long interview with the researcher last night on the PBS show "Nightly Business Report", and they implied that the study was funded by the UW, and never mentioned the fact that it only covered single location businesses. Barely mentioned that it hadn't passed peer review. What the gently caress, I expect better form PBS news shows.

KUOW did a pretty slobbery fluff piece on this study and didn't mention that detail either. Then today they did a follow up piece because the backlash was big enough and throughout their entire cross-examination of the study that detail AGAIN didn't show up.

KUOW is trash.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Virtual work at that company is looked down on hardcore and I hate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

BrandorKP posted:

We should have what the Scandinavian countries have, paid months (like six) of time for child birth split between both parents requiring the fathers to take a minimum amount (like a month) of it. And a campaign normalizing both parents using all of it.

gently caress equality, first year of parenting is hard as poo poo. The time would also benefit society massively. It should be similar for severe medical leave or things like end of life leave to take care of dying parents.

I honestly and truly feel bad for babies that don't get 3-4 months of dedicated bonding time with one or both parents. It's such a huge time for a human being.