Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

What I see is that in relative terms, and by that I mean if one compares the rural here to the rural elseware and the urban here to the urban else where, it's all better here. There are still the racist homophobic shitheads, but nearly everywhere it's outside of norms. The PNW is the only place in the country I've seen out older trans folk as an example.

Edit: the obvious exception is African Americans, not many up here. Oregon seems worse than Washington on that front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

xrunner posted:

Or is there something here today that makes them feel particularly unwelcome? My understanding (and maybe my understanding is wrong) is that a lot of people of color who relocate out here end up leaving pretty quickly.

The public radio up here in Seattle runs a lot of shows on exactly that. "Black in Seattle" is what is called. Other thing that seems to be going on is the the historically black neighborhood is being gentrified by techies. It's part of the whole area rapidly becoming more expensive.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

seiferguy posted:

but I'd say they're different from the ones in the South.

I've yet to see anyone polishing the confederate soldiers memorial to "get it ready for confederate day". I also have not seen any slave massacres re-enacted as southern cavalry driving off northern rapists.

It's even not the same planet as the south.

I've also seen nothing here that compares to things I saw in Chicago, Detroit, or Baltimore.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

anthonypants posted:

It was mentioned briefly but a few years back we had a cop in Portland who built a shrine dedicated to Nazis in a public park, and then when he was eventually removed he sued the city and won, and the mayor signed a letter of apology to him and officially had all mentions of wrongdoing removed from his record.

Saint Simons has segregated graveyards. Savannah had a "black" hospital, memorial, and a "white" hospital, chandler. Up here it seems more to be lovely individuals as opposed to holy poo poo entrenched racist social structures. Also Oregon does seem to have more racists than Washington.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

therobit posted:

Unless you count racism towards Native Americans,

I occasionally interact with the fishing industry, so I get to see that more than I like.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Welp militia nuts in an army surplus truck with a trump flag just drove through town.

Joy it's a circuit.

Yep three times, dog is about done making GBS threads now.

Looks like a third go round. This time with white power hand gestures.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Was honestly too stunned to do much other than go, what the gently caress. And then think, well don't want these assholes to see where I live.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Good.
That high school also catches Snoqualmie and fall city. The pumpkin patch in fall city is run by a trumper. Also the owner of the building "milk barn" that has the Herfy's in Snoqualmie is one. North Bend is where I saw the milita truck with the Trump flag on inauguration.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Hoekie posted:

Not the Milk Barn. Nooo.

Hey now, only reason I was able to buy in th Seattle area, is because Seattlites think North Bend is somehow five hours away. Seattle times had a piece lumping NB and Che Elum together talking about the "next commuter" towns. It's like they don't realize it's on this side of the pass. Also the downtown out here is pretty blue, according to the maps I've seen.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

"But my tabs" , tired of hearing that.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I hear one little old lady cornering people in the grocery store all the time about trying to stop building out in North Bend. Howling into the wind won't stop the wind.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Solkanar512 posted:

Uh, you can be working insane hours while being salaried at 60k.

Some industries go through demand cycles. That's a real bitch to staff for in the long term. In bad times I do 60 to 80 hours a week. Good times like 30. As long as one gets the good and bad its ok. But the new trend is oh it's slow we are flying you to X for several weeks.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Solkanar512 posted:

No, they fire massive amounts of people while buying back billions of dollars in stock instead of having 30 hour weeks.

Not for me specifically (not for profit) but yes generally.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

HEY NONG MAN posted:

I like to espouse the benefits of labor unions, but it's pretty frustrating how they protect senior workers who often suck total rear end at their jobs (and they know they can't get fired or laid off so whatever dude I'm taking two naps today).

I once had vessel delayed for a full shift in Baltimore because a night crane operator took a break to have a wank and fell asleep for the rest of the shift. We need more unions and the occasional negative incidents are small in comparison to the benefits they bring to the whole system. The power imbalances when they aren't present are bad for all sides, including manangement.

Edit:

Thanks.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Apr 8, 2017

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

ElCondemn posted:

But why budget for OT when you could get the same work for less money if you just hire two hourly employees and split the time?

There are cases were one can't. Some fields are sonofabitch to hire quickly for. An example, in my job there are things I do that only a couple hundred people in the world are credentialed for. It takes 3+ years to get a new hire up to speed. By the time we could staff up, things are in a trough again.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

ElCondemn posted:

You have a job that takes 3+ years to get a new hire up to speed and it's hourly? That seems incredibly unlikely, and even if it were true it still makes sense to train multiple people up and split the work among more workers. If the job is so skilled that there are only a handful of people doing it and nobody would work the job part time then you're talking about a salaried position with lots of job security, at that point it would make sense to amortize your payroll expenses over the long term and staff for the peaks.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but it's ridiculous to base any policy on these weird edge cases.

I'm not hourly (except on weekends and holidays) but there are similar circumstances for some hourly employees in related fields. On the other hand these tend to be very well compensated situations.

I'd personally rather have less money and fewer hours regardless.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

anthonypants posted:

Whoever pays you ought to give you a massive bonus to retain such a brilliant, highly-specialized skillset.

This does tend to work for a while, but it doesn't work forever.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

DrNutt posted:

All of those idiot white men probably already hate her for not allowing a third giant sports arena in SODO.

Whole gently caress load of maritime money / the port didn't want that stadium there either. It was never going to happen.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I got felt out by multiple ilwu members after the election for my political leanings. While there are there is the occasional nutter, https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3708238&pagenumber=113&perpage=40#post472857215

The overwhelming majority of them I encounter are old school democrats with no love for Trump or Trump supportors. Someone put a Trump sticker on a stevedores car to gently caress with him. They didn't treat it well.

They don't gently caress around. They take seriously the history of thier past strikes. At least in Seattle and Tacoma they are competent and organized. It be a big deal if they were involved.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

coyo7e posted:

Was it his book? Professors whose required reading literally include their own works, are the loving worst

I had one who would read his book sitting in a chair facing the class. He would write over his shoulder backwards on the board things he wanted to emphasize.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

It's not like y'all would pronounce Appalachia right. I'm going to think of you PNW oldtimers as wurshington and orey-goons.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Wisconsin people also get pretty anal about it too.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Did you all see this posted in the Trump thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3821460&pagenumber=1102&perpage=40#post473927886

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Senor P. posted:

I kind of wonder just what type of filtration equipment they had to install.

Glass, to my knowledge, is not chemically nasty. (Although you could conceivably use etchants/acids for cleaning it afterwards as well as other chemicals for adding colors...)

There are possibly going to be heavy metals involved in the adding colors. Other processes will use lead too.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jul 3, 2017

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

We should have what the Scandinavian countries have, paid months (like six) of time for child birth split between both parents requiring the fathers to take a minimum amount (like a month) of it. And a campaign normalizing both parents using all of it.

gently caress equality, first year of parenting is hard as poo poo. The time would also benefit society massively. It should be similar for severe medical leave or things like end of life leave to take care of dying parents.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

twodot posted:

If some segment of parents need subsidized childcare, then that seems fine to me,

We should take the french system for that.

twodot posted:

I don't see why we need to the government to demand businesses pay workers for doing nothing because the workers want to spend that time raising children as opposed to any other fulfilling activity.

You don't see. Have you ever done it or had the experience ?

All time is not equal. Some very specific periods in human lives matter more than others. Businesses and society should account for that.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

twodot posted:

You cut off my post because you are either an idiot or a jerk. Universal basic income should be used to care for children if guardians think that's the best use of their income. Failing that universal time off should be used by guardians to care for their children if they think that's the best use of their time off. If guardians think they need extra time and money from the state just because they decided to care for children? gently caress them. (edit: To be double clear, this in no way precludes having subsidized childcare for those who need it) (edit2: Nor does it preclude being employed by the state to be a caregiver, though claiming you need to time off from your job to do your job seems tenuous).
edit3:

Funding public schooling ensures every resident has an education. Requiring that finance quants that just got a baby get time off does nothing for the public good.

Got it, you have a boner for an idea to the exclusion of other ideas that demonstrably work well in other countries. I would support a UBI, but it has nothing to do with maternity / paternity leave. "WAAAHHH, WAAAHHH, you aren't supporting the thing I love because you are saying something else would be a good for society"

Everybody should be able to have time off for a baby, right now only the rich can. Only people like that quant you mention can do thing like afford to take time under fmla.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 7, 2017

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

In my head it's a furious masterbatory gesture with a blown raspberry.

The real local problem for parents is inequality. Eg. If you manage to live on the east side of Seattle: Issaquah, Sammamish, etc, you're in parenting heaven. The resources availible are staggering and incredibly easy to use. If you don't live in those areas... still as hosed as any where else in the US.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

The problem is you're coming off as some sort of MY FACTS DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR FEELINGS technocratic sperg since I'm fairly certain I and the rest agree with you but really don't want to because you're kind of being an rear end.

Twodot you're smart enough to not do what Teabag Dome Scandal is describing. It's consistently undermined many of your arguments across many threads. Facts don't convince. One has to speak to the experience of humanity in others. One doesn't nessisarily have to have had those experiences, enough empathy will work too.

You'll be more effective if you figure this out.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Most daycares in King, Pierce, and Snohomish counties also charge 200-400 more per month for children under the age of 2, especially if they are an home based daycare rather than a corporate chain like Kindercate

Missed this earlier, something else to consider is availibility. All the good child care preschool options fill up in January / February for fall enrollment. Just getting a spot is blood sport. Some parents will drive like 45 minutes each way for preschool/childcare.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Something else about this topic. Parenting is big deal thing in the brain. The parent child bonding systems in the brain... pair bonding (love) and addiction use that system. Being an addict is like being a parent. Patents will shiv you to get a better life for thier child. (A good book with a chapter on this is "Unbroken Brain", it deals primarily with explaining how addiction works in the brain ).

Not understanding parenting cedes one of the most deeply wired brain motivations to the right. We know exactly what ends they use it towards: racism and classism. The history of charter schools is those two things.

Goddammit seriously, handwaving it away is dumb.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

2br 1 bth 1000 sq ft out where I am now goes for 310,000 + up from 245 a year and a couple months ago. I'm getting letters from Realtors in the mail asking if we want to sell. The low market is hosed right now. One has to go out to like cle elum to find what your talking about condemn

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Seattle : NYC
Portland : Pittsburg

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

The Puppy Bowl posted:

That's just flat mean.

I do love all four cities in the analogy.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Straws are nessisary if one is a parent, single use biodegradable ones are a pretty good alternative to plastics.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

coyo7e posted:

Why not check the thing out before posting? It has nothing to do with preventing toddlers or disabled people from drinking beverages.

Pretty regular occurrence for me in Seattle. Whole bunch of city locations will literally refuse to let you use one for a small child.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Mt. Si from North Bend this morning.

https://imgur.com/hRRB3R5 ,phone posting images blows

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Sep 5, 2017

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

The sun is not visible now.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I've been calling his office since the election. We even were planning on physical stopping by to complain. Nice

Dems in that district don't seem to have thier poo poo together. They can't even show up in effective ways for poo poo like parades or festivals in the blue areas. That said, whole bunch of people moving into Issaquah and North Bend and a lot of them are D voters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Steve Jorbs posted:

I don't fully understand this latch on to Nazi ideology given America has it's own culture of racial oppression and genocide to subscribe to.

We are the source. Nazis got a lot of this poo poo from us, not the other way round.