Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

What's the best way to help I live in that district?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Chadderbox posted:

It's certainly not all of them, but I've been quite surprised by how provincial some people are up here.

I've had people walk up to me in bathrooms (twice) and ask if I'm a tech worker, with an implied and gently caress you if you are.

They got pretty confused when I told them I came to work in the ports.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I'm a dummy

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 8, 2017

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

people 'lose their rear end' every single day from starting impractical small businesses or through making poor investments, remind me why I should feel more sympathy for those who own property and choose to put it on the market for rent

I have in laws who rented property for a while. They got the gently caress out when someone used their rental to tan hides and they had to clean it up. Landlording is awful.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

twodot posted:

I mean the single mother is apparently profiting other her old condo, so I presume she's offering rents near the market rate. If she's offering a similar product for a similar price, how is she any different from large scale developers? Like if there's some class of property owner out there that doesn't care about profits and is charging like half the market rate, because all they want out of their spare property is beer money, then I'm cool with them, but I'm guessing there's not a lot of them.

Really?

Can't see how she's different? There is a material difference between those two situations (the single mother and the corporation.)

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

ElCondemn posted:

Struggling single mothers don't have "an old condo".

A divorce could put one in that situation pretty easily.

Edit it's a situation people falling could end up in.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 8, 2017

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

George posted:

Sounds like an opportunity to fail upwards.

Tell that to an ex house wife with a kid. Can't get poo poo for a job without a work history.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Peachfart posted:

Couldn't the strawman single mother just sell the property, in order to have the cash to allow her to ease back into the workforce?

Why you almost sound Republican, gotta lose everything before one is deserving of a safety net?

Mortgages exist, might not be any equity.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Some of you like to impose your class categories in an idealistic way when you think.

That's almost always a mistake.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Peachfart posted:

You have no concept of what the poor have to deal with.

My childhood rooms were: the second floor of a closet in a one bedroom trailer (a literal statement there) and an exterior porch that occasionally flooded in South Florida.

But lecture me on what it's like to have been poor. People can rise and fall in life and simplistic idealistic categories don't always capture reality.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

anthonypants posted:

What was the rent on the bottom floor of that closet?

That was my younger sisters room. The bottom foot-ish was storage then a platform with a foam pad for her, then a platform / foam pad for me. We each had small 10" wide shelves on one end. Trailer rent was what gets called "work-camp"

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

twodot posted:

There is literally no difference between a person who owns real estate and rents it out at market prices for a profit and a group of people who have formed a corporation who own real estate and rent it out at market prices for a profit. Do you have a real argument or are you just going to ask incredulous questions?

I find it absurd you see no difference between "a person who owns real estate and rents it out" and "a group of people who have formed a corporation who own real estate and rent it out". There is a world of difference between a individual (or even a small partnership) as a landlord and a large corporation that does property management . There is a world of difference between living in a trailer park owned by an individual and one owned by a large national corporation say Encore.

That you are ignorant of that difference doesn't make it not exist. But you tend to be ignorant of a lot of things.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

twodot posted:

So, you're saying you don't actually possess a relevant argument? ?

It's obvious you haven't experienced the difference. The larger a business is the more systematic it tends to be. Businesses are systems that spit out money as they cycle. Larger businesses tend to have tighter, more standardized cycles that have been fully developed. They also try to make them more easily repeatable. They tend to gravitate towards going after the highest margin customers. Big property managers follow a script. There is a model, a system that the company operates by. It does things like plan for maintenence, have lawyers etc.

Individuals by contrast more often don't have fully developed systems. An individual could have the property and list it on Craigslist and that's the extent of the system. There is far more variability (good and bad) in how the rental is run. Usually there is more humanity in the operation (again this could be good or bad).

Smaller partnerships and small companies often fall in bwtween the two extremes.

Going: these things are the same because they both charge the market rate makes you look like an idiot. It also implies a lack of having experienced the difference between the two. But that's a reoccurring problem with you.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

DevNull posted:

You realize that half the people in this thread are communists that want to abolish private property, right?

I also think worrying about how things ought to be in the world to come is also naively idealistic.

Letting what ought to be prevent one from seeing something, that is almost always a mistake. It turns people who see the thing being ignored off of whatever you're saying.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

twodot posted:

Ok so you're saying individuals display more variance in business than actual businesses? Like this is true, but who cares? We shouldn't treat an individual owner any differently just because there's a bigger chance they might individually be a grandma that bakes you cookies or a hardcore white supremacist than you would find in businesses. Are you just observing that two different things share some differences, but then concluding we should treat them exactly the same, but also it's super important we talk about how they are different?

Because it's not equal. And if they are regulated as being the equal one will often be advantaged over the other. Which one do you want more of?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

DrNutt posted:

You seem to be implying that grandma shouldn't be required to provide regular maintenance and other things that are to be expected of property management for renters, which is hosed up and stupid. Who gives a poo poo if it's a poor grandma or a sleazy slumlord, when you can't take a shower/do dishes/use appliances in your apartment?

We make that distinction all the time. For example, we only forced corporations of a certain size to provide healthcare to employees.

I do think grandma and the sleazy slumlord should be forced to keep up her unit properly if it's going to be rented.

I'm just saying it's dumb to assert grandma is equal because she's charging a market rate for her unit.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

ElCondemn posted:

This is also wrong and stupid, but we let it slide because "won't someone think of the job creators?"

It's not inherantly good or bad, but tremendous good or bad can be done. Another example is farming, we structured our farming regulations to preference large corporate farms under Nixon. This basically killed small family farming.

I guess this is how it relates to my objection. One can't say the two things are equal simply because they sell the same good in a market. Regulations have to be addressed in thier context in a system, and how they affect all parts of the system, not just the one thing they target.

Twodot going: well they are the same because my ideology makes me dislike all rent seeking is dumb.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

twodot posted:

Yo, I'm still waiting for you to make an actual argument about a situation where we need to treat small property managers and large property managers differently.

There is a difference between Berkshire Hathaway running a rental and random person renting out a condo. My arguement is those two things are different. I'm not arguing whether I think this policy is good or that one is bad. I'm pointing out a flawed assumption.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Why do they need power tools?

Standard 3/8" chain or even half inch long link a pair of big bolt cutters will go through pretty easily.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Yeah that's what I was thinking.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Ok that makes sense. That's a neat trick. Yeah one would need power tools to cut that safely.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Those hoods are flash hoods. Any links to images of it being cut?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Wow that's fantastically lovely.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Don't worry someday the north west will have as many people as the north east. Then Portland and Vancouver can both be commute by rail communities for Seattle.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

therobit posted:

Gifted kids do need special instruction, but yeah I agree if you need to pick a group of kids to mainstream better them than the kids who are so high needs that they have their own school. Who are undoubtedly a poorer cohort as well.

Bus full of gifted kids not adequately dealt with will begin to disassemble the bus.

All learning differences should have proper and adequate public education options. It's dangerous to mainstream any of them.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Yes, it is dangerous to mainstream any of them.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

We shouldn't have to choose; education should be funded properly and equitably. Most often it's not because of racism.

The rich will always want the gifted programs, not because they want thier kids to be gifted and talented, but because they want them labeled G&T. This is terrible for everyone of course.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

I think we're operating on different definitions of what 'mainstreaming' means. I'm not advocating that you dump either groups of students in regular classrooms- that wouldn't serve anyone, including "mainstream" students. What I am saying is that you can provide gifted/advanced coursework and classes through existing facilities and staff without presenting a risk to anyone involved. The same can not be said for the current student body at Pioneer.

I don't think we are that far apart. As long as it's cohort, I think the G&T kids are being served adequately. There are still risks, but they're more destroy the tech lab type risks and less immediate physical violence. But, physical violence isn't absent as a risk and I'm speaking personally here.

To be clear, I think pioneer should stay as it is. It's phenomenally stupid to have to choose one or the other.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

therobit posted:

Frankly it is better for everyone to have the TAG kids in at least some classes with the rest of them to be examples of what a good student looks like. And it doesn't usually harm the TAG kids as long as class sizes are small enough that you can differentiate content to different ability levels.

Difference makes one a target.

Having experienced all the various types of programs, cohort is by far the best solution (and it is best at a dedicated school).

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

I don't want to downplay your personal experience but it seems to be affecting your stance on the matter a bit more than it should :shrug:

Yeah, I can in no way be objective about it.

therobit posted:

As a former tag kid who faced that kind of targeting I think it's better they learn to live in the world. I also think that from a resource standpoint giving separate facilities to aldeady privileged kids is not a wise use of education dollars.

Yeah it's only recently that I became aware how utterly poo poo most of the country's gifted programs are. But I'm trailer trash that went to one of the best (at the very least top five) programs in the country. "Already privileged" is not always the case, and not fitting the expected trajectory is not a privilege. Cohort is so much healthier is bypasses the question of seperateness.

Also D&D is a statistical anomaly, there are so loving many of us here.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Reene posted:

I was in TAG and it was the loving worst and it probably contributed to my lifelong problems with math because they would pull us out during math period and never offered anything to supplement or replace that missed time.

Meanwhile in some cohort programs they get diff-eqs in high school...

Pull-out is so drat bad.

Look here's the bottom line, any parent with a child with learning differences, the further that child is from the norm, in any direction, the more desperate they are. It's an abomination that we don't have adequate educational services for all.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

LNG terminal protest happening in Tacoma today too, looks like Alexander Ave is shut down.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Tree farming got big in the south north Florida and south Georgia and alot moved down there think of Rayonier as an example. Just grow em in lines on flat land.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I went to one of thier shareholder meetings once, Jeb! was there.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

seiferguy posted:

Not all remote jobs need to be programming. There are companies that will create virtual call centers in small towns, provided they decide to not go to India / Philippines for that kind of labor. That's one example. There's other things you could do.

This is big in Utah, they target stay at home mothers. It's seems like it works pretty well when they give them flexibility.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Several airlines and a couple of telecoms still doing it. Utah really aggressively goes after it.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Jackard posted:

I just moved from Detroit to Seattle last year and have no experience with earthquakes but isn't this sort of idiotic?

It's idiotic everywhere right now because of fracking. They want to secure these leases for well in the future.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

None of the D options running are great.None are exciting but they are all very Issaquah / Sammamishie. Party out here isn't great either, they can't be bothered to show up for community events. Issaquah is fairly blue. Snoqualmie and and North Bend are transitioning to blue shockingly rapidly. Everything east of the cascades is pretty red. I think the rapid demographic changes could favor the dems.

That said local stuff could matter a great deal. There is definately reaction occurring due to the influx of new residents. An example is the last Snoqualmie mayors election, which Larson (the "Ridge's" candidate) did win, but Fuzzy Flecter is an example of the local conservative reaction.

It's probably very lucky that it's Dino running and not somebody better.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Jackard posted:

There any part of Eastside (Kirkland, Bellevue, Redmond, etc) that doesn't totally shut down by 10pm?

Washington is kinda ridiculous with how early the businesses close. Some of them close at 6pm.

Of course not and gets worse the further east you go. It's family land out here.

Senor P. posted:

A while ago I seem to recall there was discussions between about the ferry system getting converted to all electric (or possibly LNG) ferries. Has anything recently come of that. I think one of the Nordic countries, (Norway?) converted their ferry fleet to all electric for reduced CO2 and noise emissions.

There are two ferrys like that in Norway (edit maybe Sweden now that I think about it)
Batteries are probably non viable here with the current schedules, time they spend operating continuously, and number of ferrys in service. If I ever hear anything I'll post about it. I've never heard anything.

Senor P. posted:

If they do elect to do that, what about having electric tugs or barges(to move stuff up the Columbia and Snake rivers)? Or is the journey time and power required too much to defeat the flow of the rivers?

Electric is non viable for most tug and barge operations. There might be some very specific instances where that isn't the case.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jan 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

The problem is the undersized pier. The ferrys are bigger than what the pier was designed for. So they either stick to the schedule (the metric they get evaluated by) or they don't and fill up. But filling up late will delay the ferry and reduce total trips. Filling up all space in the ferry as a metric might not maximize for passengers and vehicles transported either.

They need a new pier.