Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Gerund posted:

WSB is stable enough (as long as the post-tensioning holds) to repair but has a life-time of 15 years or more: do you think at the end of its lifecycle the answer will be to hope that alien flying saucer technology will be available to take it out? Demolition is 100% feasible because the minute you need to replace the drat thing you'd have to have a feasible method to dismantle it.

Oh yeah demolition is feasible. They want it down quick though. That structure has to come down eventually. I just think it’s going to take like a decade, which corresponds to 10-15 years, the time stabilizing it buys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

The Oldest Man posted:

Obviously they picked the fastest "GET CARS BACK" option that doesn't result in the bridge threatening to fall down again in the midst of a hypothetical 2nd Jenny term, but the larger point here is that "no bridge" wasn't studied even as a hypothetical because inconveniencing rich white assholes and threatening their property values is the greatest sin imaginable.

1 or 2 or 1 and 2 was going happen basically no matter what to keep the structure from falling. What this would seem to me to mean is that the fight you want have isn’t over.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

people will die because politicians are too afraid to make recommendations into mandates

Part of it is they’ve been hosed by the feds. No aid to states means the state budget is hosed even worse than they already were by the first shutdown .
We should have a full stay at home order again anyway.

But that there isn’t national coordination and that makes even that less effective. It’s so hosed and I’m so tired. I bought a half face respirator if I have to work indoors.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Yeah eating out here is way more expensive than the rest of the country. But I’m okay with many of the reasons for that and the rest can’t really be changed.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Ardennes posted:

At least I would say that Seattle holds a stronger wage base than Portland, Seattle prices and Portland wages seems like a recipe for disaster.

Yeah, even out where I am the grocery stores have signs up looking to get people to start with benefits at 20 an hour. My dad never made more than 17 in FL and he did it for forty years. The lowest wage I’ve seen posted was 14.75 (again I’m thirty miles out in a small town) with benefits was a Burger King, and they clearly can’t get anyone to take it. There is clearly competition for kitchen staff in in the non chains and that relative to the rest of the country is good.

The big thing that can’t be changed is logistics. Food is more expensive here in general because of transportation. I think this is a bigger component than rent even. Even eating at home is much more expensive here because of this. But this also makes a bunch of local producers more competitive relative to other regions.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I agree rent is driving the current increases. But I think the biggest part of the relatives regional difference between the PNW and other parts of the country say if we compared Seattle, WA to Savannah, GA is logistics. My families grocery costs about doubled when we moved. It’s not as bad as Alaska, but it’s a similar logistical increase in price points. I think it’s going to get worse too, the container lines carteled up and jointly reduced capacity and increased prices in response to the drop in demand for ocean container freight that resulted from Coronavirus. I don’t think they’ll go back to slitting each other’s throats again for quite a while now that they’ve had a taste of actually being profitable.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Gerund posted:

Enh, the material conditions that allow cartel behavior currently is because any one actor going full race-to-the-bottom is more likely to receive immediate karmic pandemic punishment for being the rear end in a top hat. Everyone being in the same need for safety means everyone has an in-road to cooperation; the minute that subsides I expect capitalists to adhere to the rules of the market rather than rules of infection.

For years M2 , Maersk and MSC were intentionally driving down rates to bankrupt competition. It worked pretty well too. Additionally there was a systematic feedback loop driving over capacity. This all allowed the rapid expansion of globalization over the last two decades.

The end game was either going to be failure or cartel. I had my money on failure. But I tend to think the best of people which is a personal failing.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

It’s cause liberal means two different things to different folks.

In one sense it is liberal.

In another sense it is conservative.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Outside of the Internet liberal means center left or further left to most Americans.

In the Internet these days it more means the ideology of Liberalism and neoliberalism.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

It’s amazing to how everyone hates Durkin.

Like it’s impressive how badly she’s done.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

3%ers targeting small granges for take over. Apparently they took over one out on Whidby.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Going on two months no issues on voluntary half day k-1 out in the Snoqualmie district.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

The Oldest Man posted:

I'm curious how many actual people (students and teachers) this is.

It’s going to be at-least the five (I think there are five) elementary schools. My sons teacher has eight in morning and eight in the afternoon. They’re full vaccine availability to all staff now too. I think 3-5 is phasing in voluntary this month.

silicone thrills posted:

A friend of mines kid I guess was forced back into school in marysville, wa a few weeks ago I guess and he was saying he got a warning of exposure literally 1 day into it.

See this the problem. Why is every, and I mean every, single other district being stupid. No other district I’ve heard about has done this reasonably. I don’t understand why there was no ground between forcing Open’er up and nothing.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Kreeblah posted:

:lol: at the thought of that actually happening what with the expense it would entail and inconvenience to everybody involved.

I’ve been thinking about why it managed to happen out here and I don’t think it was money /expense. I think a bunch of things came together. The superintendent had a good relationship with the union. Many of the teachers have young families in the district. With them exception of the issues Snoqualmie and Snoqualmie ridge have with each other the communities in the valley that make up the district are very much still small communities. The superintendent decided to retire at the end of the year and had nothing to lose. Other immensely respected community organizations had been running essential worker day care without issue for basically the whole time. The community was rich enough that half day no lunch at school was viable. Everything was voluntary.

Edit : I mean it should be repeatable, but it won’t be and that makes me quite sad. I mean can I think of another community, anywhere, I’d be comfortable with my son going back and I can’t.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Mar 9, 2021

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I think it was when I realized that mass mobilization was incapable of creating change in the US

That’s not correct.

It has to disrupt the functioning of society in a sustained way to create change. Mass mobilizing for a short period can’t create change. It has to meaningfully disrupt society for as long time and create a sustained violent reaction to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Maybe if things get really bad in the upcoming recession that might change but from where I sit currently I’m not hopeful.

Things have to be intolerable to large parts of society.