Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Solkanar512 posted:

I believe prostitution and likely sex trafficking was involved.

I think "The Stranger" used a FOIA request to get pictures of cops offering girls money to take more of their clothes off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

HEY NONG MAN posted:

The first pensions we should defund are cop pensions.

If we do this we will no longer get the best and brightest into law enforcement.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

seiferguy posted:

The blood moon and ash falling from the sky is just Nintendo of America's latest marketing ploy for next BotW DLC.

lovely draw distance confirms this to be true.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Javid posted:

So it's already illegal to possess them, and illegal to light them, and probably also illegal to light them in the woods, specifically (I assume both BLM and USFS have regs about it)

But truly, that fourth law they'd have to break would really be the last straw that keeps stupid hicks from lighting poo poo on fire.

If there were no readily available entertainment or sporting incendiary devices the world would be a better place.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Javid posted:

Maybe quote the post instead of a mystery link with no context

Tl;dr HOAs are in fact Nazis, who'da thunk it

CC&R is some Credence Clearwater cover band, right?

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

coyo7e posted:

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/7xxgyq/no-one-knows-what-to-do-about-these-wild-turkeys-and-their-poop-vgtrn

Wild Turkeys are really becoming a problem. My folks have a couple dozen that hang out in their driveway pecking at the chrome on their cars. I'm pretty sure my dad has shot and eaten a couple by now.

Invite Johnny Depp over. He used to hang with Hunter S Thompson, noted killer of Wild Turkey.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

FRINGE posted:

Mood disorders, lowered IQ, and erratic temperment, but hey eat that lead!

Being American is the right to behave in the stupidest way possible, endangering the long term health of self and family despite all scientific evidence.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

It's poo poo like this why Uber and other business models that depend on non-enforcement are allowed to thrive. Unbelievable, except it's totally believable.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

GodFish posted:

We can secede when the US splits apart into 20 different countries

I want to be part of Jesusland.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
https://youtu.be/RjSOcoDJYQg

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
I've never understood Californian as being a Mexican or Hispanic dog whistle. I've usually assumed that it meant people from not oregon/Washington that have come to the area with assets that they use to purchase property which has priced people that have lived in that area longer out of the market.

As for the dumb urban legends of bussing homeless people around, I think all urban places with homeless issues have that rumor.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

BlueBlazer posted:

As a Tacoman living in Seattle I grew up as the enemy of this city. Now I'm a welcome ally Vs the Bay Area hordes.

My passive aggression is pure as the snow of My Rainer. My flannels are of the purest virgin wool. My Birkenstocks shielded with the finest hiking socks.

Is there a strip club in Seattle called "Mons Rainer"? Because there should be.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

ElCondemn posted:

Nazi's in Seattle, apparently a bunch of them are tech workers, who would've guessed 20-something shut-ins would be a bunch of racists?

https://www.thestranger.com/news/2017/10/04/25451102/we-snuck-into-seattles-super-secret-white-nationalist-convention

CNBC says there are 250K tech workers in Washington, and 90% in king county (seattle) and with a metro population of 3.8million that means that 6% of the population are tech workers. So in short I'm not surprised, but there is likely no correlation between tech and nazis.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

silicone thrills posted:

That 250k number seems low? Maybe programmers only? Just thinking about the spread between amazon, microsoft, google, facebook, and then the smattering of smaller companies like F5 and companies like Nordstrom that have 1200+ in the IT org.

I got it from a march 2017 CNBC article which refers to Washington Technology Industry Association.

My dumbass point is that tech is a largish subset of those employed in the Seattle area and so their proportionally large participation in a dumbass movement should be expected. Because of that, the article is just a dog whistle against tech bros. Not saying tech bros aren't awful, but you can't connect the dots between the Nazi movement and tech workers.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
It'd be like saying a lot of Nazis in the Detroit area work in the automotive industry.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
#anecdotesarenotdata

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Will the union have a ball pit?

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Munchables posted:

Why don't we just kill everybody, but start at the top. Trickle down murder

Sure, but where's the top? Vancouver BC seems like a good place to start.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Reene posted:

A group of protesters chained themselves up in front of the gates into the ICE facility in SE Portland today. PPD is starting to move in. Live updates:

https://twitter.com/dougbrown8/status/918252440448667648

So the police are coming to take away the people who appear to be wearing hat's. ICE, caps disappearing.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Oh goddamn it just replace my previous pun to this picture.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

anthonypants posted:

https://twitter.com/itsmikebivins/status/922841535384666113 The article the nazis are mad about : http://www.eugeneweekly.com/20171019/lead-story/antifa

I'd recommend against watching the video in the article from the tweet, since they didn't rehost it; it's on the nazis' account, and you don't want to give them YouTube views

I frequently use a few pages of the willamette week to start my charcoal for BBQing. How Nazi am I?

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

seiferguy posted:

Presented without comment:

Hash oil explosion?

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Stormfront is actively troll bombing the poll.

The poll is an accurate representative of Olive comments section, so what are you going to do?

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

JohnnySavs posted:

There are tons of Subway franchises that are closing nationwise amid complaints that the pricing promotions make it impossible to turn a profit. But no, it's a livable minimum wage in a dense urban area with lots of disposable income.

Yet more starving (sandwich) artists.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

punk rebel ecks posted:

Since you all have such a hard time making friends, why don't you guys in this thread just get together and do something with one another and make friends with each other IRL?

https://youtu.be/CYKlLUym414

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
I wish it'd stop at Grays Harbor. I love that crumbling, bleak town.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Thanatosian posted:

Guys, I have truly the saddest story in Seattle: imagine if you sold your humble little family home, and used that money to buy five or so condos in Seattle with "insane views." And then imagine that a developer wanted to build a six-story building (part of which would be used to house poor people) that would block those aforementioned "insane views." Can you imagine what kind of tyrannical city council would let a developer get away with that?!

Apparently, for once, it's Seattle's.

Real estate speculator hosed by other real estate speculators, in my neighborhood? I'm shocked, shocked I tell you.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

punk rebel ecks posted:

So what areas of Portland are the "bad areas" (e.g. high crime)?

The Concordia alehouse. Their beer selection is so good it's criminal.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

RuanGacho posted:

Insider view:

The only people that don't have to bend over backwards for Public Records Requests are the legislature, for some reason.

The hope was that the law would change that they would have to face the exact same scrutiny as the rest of us, but they did that instead.

Lol, remember when The Stranger used a FOIA request to see naked ladies that were illegally bribed and photographed by cops at the bikini coffee drive-thrus?

Edit: and then published them online without the ladies consent.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Peachfart posted:

Property taxes barely affect rent. Rent is driven by what people will pay.

Property taxes as well as borrowing interest rates absolutely have an effect on real estate investment/speculation.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Chomskyan posted:

They are "mom and pop" landlords or something.

e:

lmao

Really surprised the lower left corner hasn't been played yet.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

GodFish posted:

I've seen those rocks at 45 seconds and they're in Washington.

Did someone give our founding father anime tits?

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

To be fair, people are complaining about crowding so Ted just wants to cull the population a little bit.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

also i'd loooove to know what he got locked up for in the first place.

Improper zoning, failure to obtain building permits, you know, the usual.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

So, what is the point of this? If they do secede, sure they aren't going to be under the thumb of the western urban centers, but most of the state tax revenue would also leave. Are they really going to cut off their nose to spite their face?

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

Some people just really enjoy going out in public with a bunch of friends and having a big ol' circle jerk. Please don't kink shame them.

I don't have the best grasp on where they want to divide the state but I looked at state tax distributions by county for 2017. I divided the state on the skamania=west, klickitat=east line and west had 28.4M expenses against 3.8M east.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

silicone thrills posted:

It's not about expenses, its about revenue. King County only gets back like 50 cents of every dollar we send to the state for taxes. But those counties out in the east are spending between 2-3$ for every dollar they send to the state.

Oh I believe it. Sorry, I should have done more work on tax revenues but I have a bunch of work meetings, but I'm always interesting in the internal math on secessionist wierdos.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

I think it's working as intended, and that sucks.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

DrNutt posted:

The cyberpunk dystopia corporate rule we're living in is a hell of a lot more boring than we were promised.

I used to wonder why people in dystopian fiction just accepted the status quo, and now I'm living in it and accepting the status quo. I am incredibly saddened, and frustrated, and feel without recourse. And then I turn on my teevee and suddenly I don't feel anything anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

anthonypants posted:

What sort of qualifications do you think an applicant for the Homeless Encampment Response Senior Manager position would need? https://twitter.com/GuyOron/status/1015319294610063360

Strong right arm/finger, bad hearing.