Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
james
Dec 2, 2002
About twenty years ago I bought a new Air Research T04 turbo in a generic kit for a project that never went anywhere. It's been sitting in a box in a garage during that time, and now I want to sell it. The turbo has never been installed, but the shaft is surprisingly hard to turn (It's hard to guess, but I'd say something like 1 inch-lb is required). It's not impossible by any means, but it's significantly harder than the good condition td04 I have laying around. In addition, there's 5-10 degrees of free play before the shaft becomes hard to turn.

If I had to guess, it feels like the bearing is loose in the housing just a little, then it grabs and whatever assembly lube is now acting like a mild glue. Does this seem reasonable? Is this normal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

james posted:

About twenty years ago I bought a new Air Research T04 turbo in a generic kit for a project that never went anywhere. It's been sitting in a box in a garage during that time, and now I want to sell it. The turbo has never been installed, but the shaft is surprisingly hard to turn (It's hard to guess, but I'd say something like 1 inch-lb is required). It's not impossible by any means, but it's significantly harder than the good condition td04 I have laying around. In addition, there's 5-10 degrees of free play before the shaft becomes hard to turn.

If I had to guess, it feels like the bearing is loose in the housing just a little, then it grabs and whatever assembly lube is now acting like a mild glue. Does this seem reasonable? Is this normal?

I'd try putting some oil in the center section and see how it feels. I don't think that's typical. The free play and then "hard to turn" doesn't sound good for the bearing, either.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Agreed- plug one side and put some good oil in the center section. Let it soak, spin it over, and drain it out. Repeat if necessary with something stronger like ATF.

james
Dec 2, 2002
An engine oil bath overnight did not loosen anything up. I think I'll try to remove the compressor wheel and pull the shaft out, see if there's any scoring/damage.

Does the compressor wheel need to remain indexed to the turbine to maintain balance? The turbine nut is damaged/ground but the compressor end is not, which used to indicate that the compressor wheel was balanced separately from the shaft+turbine. Is this generically true, or just a thing from my unique turbo experience?

• Locked thread