Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Pirate Radar posted:

Technically, every race involves a circuit of time and space.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOTAS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

I know with Cleveland pretty much Sherwin Williams wanted the Cleveland GP back, and indyCar decided to not go through with it for whatever reason.

I think it was mainly the city going "uh. Cavs are in contention for NBA Titles AND We got the GOP Convention. So not quite yet" IIRC. I think in a few years we'll see that pop up again and honestly? Perfect 4th of July race.

This should happen just so we can see PPG try to stage a Pittsburgh GP in response. Have any cars crashed due to potholes recently?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

njsykora posted:

They do Haas' F1 stuff these days, which is large parts Ferrari in terms of engine and some other innards but I don't think they directly work with Ferrari.

Ferrari engine, transmission, and suspension. I think that's all they are allowed to provide. The rest is Dallara and it's actually a pretty good car.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

IndyCar, Indy Lights, Formula 2, GP3, Formula V8, Super Formula, I think Formula E, all spec Dallara series. It's kind of incredible.

FuzzySkinner posted:

Speaking of F1..I look at Stroll and shake my head. For as much as I was critical of Rossi at one point? Dude could run well in a backmarker, and I think he'd have done well with a team like Williams. Ah well, Rossi gets to be immortalized on the Borg Warner and pulled off the biggest upset in IndyCar history sans Dan in 2011.

It's been a while since I've seen a driver so obviously unprepared for the series they're in.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

This is extremely good.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The worst day of the year.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Someone (you?) posted this last year, it's one of the best things I've ever read. Incredible story.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Someone please tell us what Sage's dang tweet said.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Dudley posted:

It said "I actually think wicka is an ok poster".

Boy's gone mad.

Jesus, just "OK"? Mad indeed.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

PPG has huge facilities in Cleveland, too.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/andrewbensonf1/status/852098232377376771

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Holy loving poo poo, I cannot believe this is real.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

McLaren open to a full season IndyCar entry in the future: https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news/mclaren-open-to-full-works-indycar-programme-in-future-892893/

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

CactusWeasle posted:

The Worst Thread is taking it rather well

There will be lots of salt from the F1 community at large, don't you worry. Not many people in the F1 thread exclusively watch F1.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The best part of Monaco is that it's something to watch before the 500 starts.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

McLaren should build an engine instead.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I think it was Pagenaud who was asked how much coaching Alonso would need, and he replied, "Coaching? It's Fernando Alonso."

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Cygni posted:

they already are an OEM on the car, the spec ECU and I believe much of the wiring loom is from McLaren's "Applied Technologies" group

the downside of McLaren becoming more involved with IndyCar is we may get stuck with a lovely race in Bahrain like F1 is (Bahrain's government owns the controlling stake in McLaren)

Be thankful if Bahrain is as bad as it gets, F1 can give you so much worse. And yeah, McLaren provides standard ECUs for both IndyCar and NASCAR.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Minto Took posted:

To end the Jenna Fryer nonsense, she issued a non-apology being all, "sorry I was looking out whats best for IndyCar. I didn't know VICS and F1 had such great ratings."

My god she is being such a baby.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Long Beach is probably one of the only ICS tracks that F1 could run at without ruining, but it's still a dumb idea.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Long Beach owns in Project Gotham 2.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

dentist toy box posted:

I mean how long have they been without a title sponsor in f1

2014, I think.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I'm imagining him driving away just fine, like all other insanely talented racing drivers.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Basticle posted:

:rolleyes: shut the gently caress up

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Can't imagine wanting all racing series to be the same.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The stage system is dumb, sure, but it's considerably better than when they'd just fabricate cautions to bunch up the field.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

gret posted:

Jenna Fryer manages to write an even dumber article trying to defend her previous article. Not really worth a link.

Don't be like me. Don't search out this article. It's so bad. So enraging.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Cygni posted:

I can kinda see why Zak Brown's name was toss around as IndyCar CEO years back, seems like a pretty straight shooting dude:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/brown-says-f1-and-long-beach-are-no-longer-compatible-898339/

Zak Brown owns, I'm glad he didn't join IndyCar because he is exactly what McLaren needs right now.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/alonso-shocked-by-us-impact-of-indy-500-decision-898732/

quote:

While the news had a huge impact in F1, Alonso said he was surprised by the scale of the reception he received in the States.

"I walked in the airport in Indianapolis, in Chicago, and everyone is stopping me and shaking my hands, wishing me good luck, so it was like being in Spain for a moment," said Alonso in Russia on Thursday. "Definitely a big change in America for this race.

"I saw also the audience on television was 50 percent more share on that race, so definitely a bigger impact than what I thought in the beginning.

"As I said, the biggest surprise of this weekend or the last five days was the impact of this news and how many people recognise me in those moments, and in the airport.

"I am used to walking in America quite relaxed and I used to spend holidays in the US because no one recognised you and you had some privacy, and it was not like that in the airports at least."

lol jenna

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

IndyCar is in a weirdly great position, I think, because their ratings aren't great, and their TV deals aren't particularly massive, which means they might be one of the first major sports "leagues" (in the US, at least) to make the jump to their own streaming service. Obviously the 500 needs a broadcast network deal, but otherwise put everything on an IndyCar app, broadcast every session without ads, include Indy Lights, old races, etc. I'd pay for that in a heartbeat.

wicka fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Apr 28, 2017

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

WindyMan posted:

This isn't going to happen. Sports leagues that already offer a domestic paid streaming service for their games, like MLB or the NHL, have hundreds and hundreds of games to make the economics work. Indycar only has 17 races. I don't foresee a scenario where Indycar gets more money by catering to its fanbase and missing out on TV network money. There may be less money for TV nowadays, but Indycar being on the upswing, it having the Indy 500, and live sports still being the golden goose of TV would give the series good leverage.

The biggest indicator of the direction that Indycar is going is what they negotiate once the TV deal expires at the end of the 2018 season. The goal should be to get more money for the same amount of coverage, or better coverage (more races on broadcast) for the same amount of money. Anything less than that would be disappointing. You could very well see Indycar doing something where international markets have the option to pay for the season, like V8 Supercars or whatnot. But I'll eat my hat (:toxx:) if they move ANY race to online-streaming only.

I'll eat every hat in the entire world if a sports league signs a TV rights deal for more money in 2018.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Also, none of this requires going streaming ONLY, just that IndyCar reserves streaming rights and allows anyone anywhere to sign up for a service that allows them to watch every race, independent of a cable subscription.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

WindyMan posted:

There's no need for Indycar to do it if someone else is OK with paying for the rights

Wrong. The need is that none of these networks do it in a way that's greater than simply being secondary to a cable package. It's just the TV broadcast on their app, and you sign in with your cable credentials. The way IndyCar should do it would be a standalone service, totally unrelated to any cable package, commercial free, includes broadcasts of every session and the junior series, plus any historical races they could get their hands on. There's absolutely value in this, people are already doing it. And as Cygni touched on, attendance and viewership is more important than whatever pitiful TV rights deals they can land. So long as this is done side-by-side with a cable broadcast, there's no way they're going to do anything but gain viewers.

This is almost unquestionably the future anyway, there is no need whatsoever for channels to exist in the long-term, it's just a matter of someone making the leap and proving it can be done.

tldr the networks do a bad job of covering races and they do it in a way that leaves viewers and money on the table

wicka fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Apr 29, 2017

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Cygni posted:

Punch and Bestwick are no brainer pickups, but i would say that about Varsha too and i dont think hes doing any major announcing?

I think Varsha pretty much decided to retire.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Varsha/Matchett/Hobbs forever :smith:

Those guys single-handedly made the awful 2004 F1 season watchable.

I'm going to have "THAT'S TIMO GLOCK!" engraved on my tombstone.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

Was watching an old RPM 2 Night.

Amusing notes:
-Apparently there's an alternate universe where Alex Barron drove for Panther in 2000
-Robin Miller kept talking about how good Casey Mears was in Lights, how he was going to be the future of Indycar. How MCI is gonna sponsor him and he's going to be the next :911: star, was gonna take home the lights championship, etc.

Which is amusing considering who the lights champion was that year.

I uh would very much like to know where you find these old episodes, it would be cool to pretend I was like 9 again.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdiL9ycwxUg

(Also bonus? Jeff Gordon is featured in a segment about faith in racing. I say this is noteworthy because it's rumored that he's an atheist now).

Didn't hear the atheist stuff but I thought his ex-wife (Brook?) was the reason he became religious.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Hell, it's called Indy car racing.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

iospace posted:

Post the whole helmet please, not this teaser poo poo :argh:

https://twitter.com/McLarenIndy/status/859732164472078339

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007